FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 25, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #1,816 of 6,777
Any Aussie guys i also ordered through SoundSightFocus on ebay and they are a fantastic ebayer. i Think they have 5 left so be quick Aussies

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,818 of 6,777
Basically it sets the strength of the output noise signal. Low gain has a less powerful (quieter) signal, while high gain is louder.

Low gain is intended for IEMs, where less volume output is required. When using external cans people generally want the signal a bit louder, so the high gain setting allows that.

While you could use the high gain setting in IEMs, it would be inadvisable to do so. You'd risk damaging your ears and the quality of the sound would suffer as IEMs aren't designed to be as loud.

Hope that helps.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #1,819 of 6,777
Received my E17 today and it sounds great, thanks Micca!

Has anyone else noticed that the DAC display seems to be inaccurate? When my Mac is set to output 44.1/24 via USB (my normal setting) the unit displays 48/16bit. The only way to get it to display 24bit is to set the rate to 96k. Further screwing around shows that outputting 96/16 still gets you a display of 96/24.

My guess is that the firmware just assumes if you are using 44.1 or 48 that you are in 16 bit, and 96 always says 24, regardless of the signal actually it actually receives... or it's broken or I don't know what I'm doing.

Also a little chintzy that it always displays 48K whether you feed it 44.1 or 48, but that "feature" is documented in the manual so I'll give them a pass.

Another interesting observation is that the Balance control does not work like any other I've used--full left leaves quite a bit of signal in the right channel and vice versa.

I think I'm going to get lots of use out of this little guy!!

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #1,820 of 6,777

Quote:
Basically it sets the strength of the output noise signal. Low gain has a less powerful (quieter) signal, while high gain is louder.

Low gain is intended for IEMs, where less volume output is required. When using external cans people generally want the signal a bit louder, so the high gain setting allows that.

While you could use the high gain setting in IEMs, it would be inadvisable to do so. You'd risk damaging your ears and the quality of the sound would suffer as IEMs aren't designed to be as loud.

Hope that helps.

Yes, but I have beyerdynamic dt770 250 OHM and I can listen to it with 0db gain and about 30 - 40 volume or 6db with lower volume. They are definatly not IEMs. I'm not sure how loud you guys listen to your music!  I think it might be better to listen on 0db gain with higher volume but It could make no difference. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,821 of 6,777

Quote:
Any Aussie guys i also ordered through SoundSightFocus on ebay and they are a fantastic ebayer. i Think they have 5 left so be quick Aussies

I think they are the same company as i-enjoy but I'm not sure.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #1,822 of 6,777

Quote:
So after 5 hours of listening to the Fiio E17, 

I feel....underwhelmed. Maybe just being a new at all this audiophile stuff, It just can't justify the price tag for me at the moment. Using a Dt770 80ohm. Connected through the optical cable. 

The sound is clearer, not super noticeably but its there by a very small amount to me. Maybe I just expected too much at the moment. Going to hold onto it and see what else it can do. 

Sent you a PM :p

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,823 of 6,777
Quote:
So after 5 hours of listening to the Fiio E17, 

I feel....underwhelmed. Maybe just being a new at all this audiophile stuff, It just can't justify the price tag for me at the moment. Using a Dt770 80ohm. Connected through the optical cable. 

The sound is clearer, not super noticeably but its there by a very small amount to me. Maybe I just expected too much at the moment. Going to hold onto it and see what else it can do. 

I have the exact same setup as you. I started out with some really busy songs at a high bitrate, with a lot of more exotic instruments and noticed it right away. Afterwards the change wasn't so pronounced but it was certainly still there.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,824 of 6,777
Quote:
Yes, but I have beyerdynamic dt770 250 OHM and I can listen to it with 0db gain and about 30 - 40 volume or 6db with lower volume. They are definatly not IEMs. I'm not sure how loud you guys listen to your music!  I think it might be better to listen on 0db gain with higher volume but It could make no difference.

I have the 80ohms and I listen from my iPod with an LOD at about 30-40 at 6db very comfortably.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,825 of 6,777

Quote:

I have the exact same setup as you. I started out with some really busy songs at a high bitrate, with a lot of more exotic instruments and noticed it right away. Afterwards the change wasn't so pronounced but it was certainly still there.

Any song recommendations? I've been listening to Michael Buble, Adele, Modern Jazz Quartet, The Strokes...Pretty much just everything that I can (Except metal) 

I know I won't get rid of it, but help me get rid of buyer's remorse haha

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,828 of 6,777
To get over being "underwelmed," try listening to it for awhile (there might be break-in time) to get used to what it does well.  At some moment, swich back to your previous best setup.  

I found this helped me put my E7 in perspective, compared to direct out of the iPhone.  

My wife heard the difference immediately.  She went back to the E7 output and listened to song after song for 20 minutes with my Phonak 232s, totally ignoring me.  She always hears better than I do, or I should say she detects difference faster.  

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,829 of 6,777
Quote:
Any song recommendations? I've been listening to Michael Buble, Adele, Modern Jazz Quartet, The Strokes...Pretty much just everything that I can (Except metal) 

I really first noticed it on "Lost" by Coldplay with the claps and percussion going on. Not exactly my favorite song to turn up on random but those claps especially have much better staging on the E17, and I could tell immediately. Also the thumps on the low end sound much tighter and the highs seem less clouded.

Another great track is "Get On Your Boots" by U2. Listen to the low end closely and the really dirty guitar work. You should be able to pick out a pretty big difference in the detail on the guitars if you've got a high bitrate recording.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,830 of 6,777

Quote:

You love Jazz? right? There is a disc called "Antiphone Blues", amazing recording.

Try this one also, "the best of Nina Simone", the recording is quite good!

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Nina-Simone/dp/B0000046UW/ref=pd_sim_m_1

If you love violin like me, try these
http://www.amazon.com/Violin-Showpieces-Erick-Friedman/dp/B00000E6ON/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330201562&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Carmen-Fantasie-Anne-Sophie-Mutter/dp/B000001GII/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330201620&sr=1-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back