FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,609 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
What did you pay for it?  

does the ipad2 have the same DAC as iPhone 4 and 4s?

For iPad 2 and E17 I should get the L9, right?    So it bypasses the pad amp.   Do I need to set iPad to NOT charge when plugged into USB?  

Im looking for an mp3 player... Is an old iPhone like 3GS gonna have a better DAC than a Samsung galaxy?

I just realized my  HTC Surround phone (16gb built in hdd)  windows 7 phone has better (maybe just louder) sound than my Huawei Mercury (glory). So maybe ill just keep it as my mp3 player even though it has no cellular service. 

Thanks

Not sure about the DAC in the ipad2, but with some external USB DACs (not sure if it's tested on the E17) you can use the Camera Connection kit to bypass the DAC+ HP AMP altogether and send the digital signal to a USB DAC directly.  I think you'd have to set the E17 to not charge via USB to prevent the ipad2 from complaining about the device drawing too much power.

It is confirmed to work with the E7, so I'd be shocked if it doesn't work with the E17.  See more at http://www.head-fi.org/t/493625/good-news-fiios-e7-had-been-confirmed-to-support-ipad-with-camera-kits#post_6661635 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/479527/news-about-our-e7/45#post_6660856 (with a pic of the E7 setup!)

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed not to work with camera connection kit (and e17).  Still hoping someone can answer my question about L9 and ipad 2 above.  thanks

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #1,612 of 6,777

Quote:
pre-emptive answer and the last sentence could almost be made into a verse in a rhyme....  hehe...thank you.  I did send you msg without seeing this.  That really helps again.  I guess what I'm hoping to hear is that the E17 will significantly DRIVE the 250ohm dt880s..  What fraction of a FULLY adequate desktop powered amp (to your ears) can the E17 achieve?  

or if you haven't heard it with another fully adequate amp, then can you compare the e17 on paper to this one's specs (which I have heard and was pleased).  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AnmOJygfCpB/p_252HEDBX2B/Pro-Ject-Head-Box-II-Black.html

The only 'fully adequate' desktop amps that I've listened to significantly are the Fiio E9, my friends Little Dot Hybrid and my Denon AVR-4308CI. Out of these 3, the E9 has seen the most auditioning time. I've gone as far as to use the E9 from a source other than the E17, just so I could evaluate the signature of the E9 itself. I used the line-out (headphone out) of my MacBook Pro and a Rockbox'ed Sansa. On average, and trying to volume match as best possible, I find that I listen to the E9 with it's volume dial between 30% and 50%, depending on source material. Compared to the E17 at a gain of 12dB and a volume of 40 (out of 60), this roughly equates to an E9 volume of about 80% - 85%.

So, in summary, the E9 (and I'm certain 99% of desktop amps) will easily best the E17 in terms of amplifier capability. That said, I'm impressed that I can use a portable device like the E17 and attain roughly the same listening volume and signature as the E9, without maxing out the E17 volume and EQ controls.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed not to work with camera connection kit (and e17).  Still hoping someone can answer my question about L9 and ipad 2 above.  thanks

Not trying to agitate anyone, but I wish people would read the entire thread or do a little searching before commenting on something incorrectly. The E17 can be used with the iPad 2 and the CCK - see post #991 where I got it to work, albeit requiring a USB powered hub.

As for the LOD to use with the iPad 2, you can use the L1, L3, L9, L10 or L30. All will work to bypass the internal amp of the iPad 2, instead using the line out available on the dock connector. The L1 and L3 are the same length but the L3 has gold plated connectors. The L9 is the same length as the L1 & L3, but uses right angle connectors. The L10 is 30 cm long and the L30 is 1 meter long. Which one you choose will depend how you want to try and carry the E17 with it attached to the iPad 2.

One last comment: to those that missed out on the first batch (shipments 1 and 2) of the E17 - Fiio owes you nothing. If you were so seriously interested in getting the E17, you would have pre-ordered as soon as stores were listing it, like I did. If you didn't pre-order, it's likely because you weren't sure and wanted to wait for reviews. The issue of supply and demand is not one that only affects the small companies like Fiio - look at what happened when Nintendo couldn't supply the Wii in sufficient quantities? People waited for them. Admittedly not too patiently, but they waited nonetheless. When I ordered my first headphone DAC/amp, the Headamp Pico, I waited 5 months. Yes, I got anxious at times, but in the end I got what I ordered and it didn't change my opinion of it. Just because you were too short-sighted to get in on the original shipment doesn't mean you have the right to demand updates from the manufacturer. I guess this is just a sign of today's impatient society, most of whom believe that they're entitled to instant gratification.

I know this won't pacify some of you and will aggravate others, but I don't care. I took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself and was therefore rewarded by receiving my E17 from the 1st batch. For those of you that didn't, grow up, learn some patience or move on. I have...

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,613 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
pre-emptive answer and the last sentence could almost be made into a verse in a rhyme....  hehe...thank you.  I did send you msg without seeing this.  That really helps again.  I guess what I'm hoping to hear is that the E17 will significantly DRIVE the 250ohm dt880s..  What fraction of a FULLY adequate desktop powered amp (to your ears) can the E17 achieve?  

or if you haven't heard it with another fully adequate amp, then can you compare the e17 on paper to this one's specs (which I have heard and was pleased).  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AnmOJygfCpB/p_252HEDBX2B/Pro-Ject-Head-Box-II-Black.html

The only 'fully adequate' desktop amps that I've listened to significantly are the Fiio E9, my friends Little Dot Hybrid and my Denon AVR-4308CI. Out of these 3, the E9 has seen the most auditioning time. I've gone as far as to use the E9 from a source other than the E17, just so I could evaluate the signature of the E9 itself. I used the line-out (headphone out) of my MacBook Pro and a Rockbox'ed Sansa. On average, and trying to volume match as best possible, I find that I listen to the E9 with it's volume dial between 30% and 50%, depending on source material. Compared to the E17 at a gain of 12dB and a volume of 40 (out of 60), this roughly equates to an E9 volume of about 80% - 85%.

So, in summary, the E9 (and I'm certain 99% of desktop amps) will easily best the E17 in terms of amplifier capability. That said, I'm impressed that I can use a portable device like the E17 and attain roughly the same listening volume and signature as the E9, without maxing out the E17 volume and EQ controls.

Quote:

Not trying to agitate anyone, but I wish people would read the entire thread or do a little searching before commenting on something incorrectly. The E17 can be used with the iPad 2 and the CCK - see post #991 where I got it to work, albeit requiring a USB powered hub.

As for the LOD to use with the iPad 2, you can use the L1, L3, L9, L10 or L30. All will work to bypass the internal amp of the iPad 2, instead using the line out available on the dock connector. The L1 and L3 are the same length but the L3 has gold plated connectors. The L9 is the same length as the L1 & L3, but uses right angle connectors. The L10 is 30 cm long and the L30 is 1 meter long. Which one you choose will depend how you want to try and carry the E17 with it attached to the iPad 2.

One last comment: to those that missed out on the first batch (shipments 1 and 2) of the E17 - Fiio owes you nothing. If you were so seriously interested in getting the E17, you would have pre-ordered as soon as stores were listing it, like I did. If you didn't pre-order, it's likely because you weren't sure and wanted to wait for reviews. The issue of supply and demand is not one that only affects the small companies like Fiio - look at what happened when Nintendo couldn't supply the Wii in sufficient quantities? People waited for them. Admittedly not too patiently, but they waited nonetheless. When I ordered my first headphone DAC/amp, the Headamp Pico, I waited 5 months. Yes, I got anxious at times, but in the end I got what I ordered and it didn't change my opinion of it. Just because you were too short-sighted to get in on the original shipment doesn't mean you have the right to demand updates from the manufacturer. I guess this is just a sign of today's impatient society, most of whom believe that they're entitled to instant gratification.

I know this won't pacify some of you and will aggravate others, but I don't care. I took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself and was therefore rewarded by receiving my E17 from the 1st batch. For those of you that didn't, grow up, learn some patience or move on. I have...

wow, finally getting some answerssss.  Trust me it's not for lack of searching/researching.  I didn't focus as much on the ipad2 dac...but I've been spending STUPID amounts of time....like 15 hours + a day.....keeping me away from my studies and upcoming exams...  Take home message I'm getting is:  The E17 will easily get it to the same listening volumes as E9, but not as good signature/dynamic/driven to the potential as the E9 or other desktop amps.  Again, thank you

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,615 of 6,777
Well...The E11 dents too easily so I returned it. I wanted something smaller but the A10 won't sound as good. I decided that I'll just go for the E17 when it's back in stock.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,616 of 6,777
Those who have both, how far does the DAC section of the E17 improves from the E7? Asking because they both share the same wolfson chip.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,617 of 6,777
Anyone know how this amp pairs with the little dot mkiii?

Pairing? Isn't the Little Dot already an amp of its own?

Sorry, I disagree.  Having an item for sale that you can't provide doesn't make for happy customers.  The U.S. is probably their biggest market, so I think they need to keep people here happy.  They are also under some obligation to control who is selling their products.  Look how carmakers suffered from crappy dealer service.

You can't stop people from buying stock from authorized dealer and resell it on eBay (or store) for a profit. They also can't make 10k units in the first batch and assume they will all sold out - that kind of risk taking will bring a company down in no time.

Those who have both, how far does the DAC section of the E17 improves from the E7? Asking because they both share the same wolfson chip.

Same DAC chip, but everything else is different, down to the implementation. You can expect E17 DAC section to sound more refined and detailed over that of E7.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,619 of 6,777

Quote:
I assume he asks how the E17 DAC section pairs with Little Dot MKIII.

It might be a little typing mistake, 'f'air

Quote:
Same DAC chip, but everything else is different, down to the implementation. You can except E17 DAC section to sound more refined and detailed over that of E7.

Sweet! E17/9 Combo I'm here waiting for you!

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,620 of 6,777
FYI E17 does work with ipad2 with camera connect card and a external powered hub. I used to does this with my uDAC2.  

Connect powered USB Hub To Ipad2 via Camera Con Card

Connect E17 to one of the USB ports on Hub

Connect USB Hub to Ac adaptor for the USB Hub

Turn of battery charging on e17 and you should have a working digital output to e17. Not a portable solution but works :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back