FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,622 of 6,777
What I'm asking is if I use the E17 as a DAC and the Little Dot MKIII as the amp. 

You will need the L7 for that. I don't know much about the MKIII, but E17's DAC alone is still quite good. The question is, could you find a standalone DAC for the same price with better sound? For $150 and DAC only, you might also want to look into other DAC like HRT Music Stremer II as well.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,623 of 6,777

Quote:
FYI E17 does work with ipad2 with camera connect card and a external powered hub. I used to does this with my uDAC2.  

Connect powered USB Hub To Ipad2 via Camera Con Card

Connect E17 to one of the USB ports on Hub

Connect USB Hub to Ac adaptor for the USB Hub

Turn of battery charging on e17 and you should have a working digital output to e17. Not a portable solution but works :)

good to know.

by the way, if anyone wants to put on on FS or Ebay for profit, i'm sure many people here would pay the premium....i haven't seen one on ebay yet

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,624 of 6,777

Quote:
You will need the L7 for that. I don't know much about the MKIII, but E17's DAC alone is still quite good. The question is, could you find a standalone DAC for the same price with better sound? For $150 and DAC only, you might also want to look into other DAC like HRT Music Stremer II as well.

Oh well I already got the E17 just ordered it today, but after reading so many reviews for the MKIII and the price of it. I feel sold on it already but if it isn't worth it then I shouldn't. 

Should i? I'm not running power hungry cans so I don't really need to but if it would improve the sound then by all means

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,625 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:

Oh well I already got the E17 just ordered it today, but after reading so many reviews for the MKIII and the price of it. I feel sold on it already but if it isn't worth it then I shouldn't. 

Should i? I'm not running power hungry cans so I don't really need to but if it would improve the sound then by all means

what's the price of the mkIII?  what cans are you looking to power?

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,626 of 6,777
only around 200. At the moment I only have dt770 80ohms (requires nothing) but I'm just saying for future reference if it would make a good combo once I upgrade headphones one day. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #1,627 of 6,777

Quote:
One last comment: to those that missed out on the first batch (shipments 1 and 2) of the E17 - Fiio owes you nothing. If you were so seriously interested in getting the E17, you would have pre-ordered as soon as stores were listing it, like I did.

Excuse me, but a few of those people that missed out on the first batch and did pre-order, [size=small]particularly[/size] with mp4nation, received nothing but a sorry ass notification that their order did not ship out and had been moved to maybe the next release date. Personally, this is the reason why I finally cancelled my order with them in the first place. Though, in hindsight, I'm glad I did so I could eventually purchase locally. Initially, I felt MiccaStore was wrong in not having pre-ordering available but after awhile, I started thinking that they had the best method. Simply, if we don't have it, we don't ship it. Plus, first come, first serve. I really feel sorry for all the other people that had to suffer through a longer promised waiting pre-order period, only to find that they get nothing.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #1,628 of 6,777

Quote:

Excuse me, but a few of those people that missed out on the first batch and did pre-order, [size=small]particularly[/size] with mp4nation, received nothing but a sorry ass notification that their order did not ship out and had been moved to maybe the next release date. Personally, this is the reason why I finally cancelled my order with them in the first place. Though, in hindsight, I'm glad I did so I could eventually purchase locally. Initially, I felt MiccaStore was wrong in not having pre-ordering available but after awhile, I started thinking that they had the best method. Simply, if we don't have it, we don't ship it. Plus, first come, first serve. I really feel sorry for all the other people that had to suffer through a longer promised waiting pre-order period, only to find that they get nothing.

I would be one of those people. I pre-ordered a little late, on the 11th. Yet the mp4nation website did not say I was a part of the second batch until I ordered. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #1,629 of 6,777
since we were on the topic of iphones and DACs and android/voodoo ...here's something i found:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hd7-review-542p6.php#aq

looks like gsmarena does sound tests..      sorry to derail the thread a little.

FYI,   Mp4nation emailed me back after I told them about how miccastore had just sold in-stock E17s yesterday...  they said that those were most likely from the first batch, not the 2nd batch.........  but he seemed to contradict himself by saying that they got in another shipment recently, but they went to fulfilling the outstanding 1st preorders.  

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #1,630 of 6,777

Quote:
FYI,   Mp4nation emailed me back after I told them about how miccastore had just sold in-stock E17s yesterday...  they said that those were most likely from the first batch, not the 2nd batch.........  but he seemed to contradict himself by saying that they got in another shipment recently, but they went to fulfilling the outstanding 1st preorders. 

It's natural for mp4nation to want to hold on to as many customers as possible :)

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,631 of 6,777
Feb 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,633 of 6,777
One day, audiophilia will be commonplace and "in" to the point of people being in line for weeks waiting for the newest Amp/DAC/Headphones/Speaker set, and when that day comes, everywhere will people rejoice by listening to details in music that they never had before :wink:

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #1,634 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:

It's natural for mp4nation to want to hold on to as many customers as possible :)

Quote:
Quote:
since we were on the topic of iphones and DACs and android/voodoo ...here's something i found:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hd7-review-542p6.php#aq

looks like gsmarena does sound tests..      sorry to derail the thread a little.

iPhone 4 seems to measure very well. Hmmmm.

i missed the micca deal by sleeping in late.........because of reading head-fi until the wee hours of the morning......  woohoo....missed it by 30 minutes!!!@#$@#$

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #1,635 of 6,777
Quote:

I was able to place an order yesterday for an E17, so I contacted MP4Nation to cancel my order with them.  Go an e-mail saying the order was cancelled, but takes 5 to 7 days for a refund.  I have bought over a 1000 item off Ebay and it doesn't take 5 to 7 days for a refund through PayPal.  The Micca Store sent me a tracking number, but of course USPS has no record of it.  So until I have an E17 in my hand I don't believe anyone actually has one for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back