FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #1,561 of 6,777

Quote:
According to FEDEX, the E17 will arrive on Monday. I can give you some impressions then...

I'd appreciate it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,562 of 6,777
just ordered one on ebay hopefully will pair well with my pro700mk2 cans

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #1,563 of 6,777
What did you pay for it?  

does the ipad2 have the same DAC as iPhone 4 and 4s?

For iPad 2 and E17 I should get the L9, right?    So it bypasses the pad amp.   Do I need to set iPad to NOT charge when plugged into USB?  

Im looking for an mp3 player... Is an old iPhone like 3GS gonna have a better DAC than a Samsung galaxy?

I just realized my  HTC Surround phone (16gb built in hdd)  windows 7 phone has better (maybe just louder) sound than my Huawei Mercury (glory). So maybe ill just keep it as my mp3 player even though it has no cellular service. 

Thanks

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #1,565 of 6,777
if my laptop can put out 24/192 will the e17 make a bigger difference? I am kind of lost now.. I have the m50s

24/192 doesn't automatically make music better. Mastering and encoding of the music have more to do with better sounding music than bit depth and bit rate - if that sounds all too complicated for you, it is because a lot of manufacturer want people to believe higher number is everything, which is only a tiny part of the whole story. 16/44.1 is more than capable of reproducing all commercial music perfectly, so there is not need to worry about this sort of things.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #1,566 of 6,777
Got it for $155au from a authorized dealer. Pairing with my m18x, ipad2 via USB with powered hub and iPhone4 with L9 LOD.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #1,567 of 6,777

Quote:
What did you pay for it?  

does the ipad2 have the same DAC as iPhone 4 and 4s?

For iPad 2 and E17 I should get the L9, right?    So it bypasses the pad amp.   Do I need to set iPad to NOT charge when plugged into USB?  

Im looking for an mp3 player... Is an old iPhone like 3GS gonna have a better DAC than a Samsung galaxy?

I just realized my  HTC Surround phone (16gb built in hdd)  windows 7 phone has better (maybe just louder) sound than my Huawei Mercury (glory). So maybe ill just keep it as my mp3 player even though it has no cellular service. 

Thanks

Not sure about the DAC in the ipad2, but with some external USB DACs (not sure if it's tested on the E17) you can use the Camera Connection kit to bypass the DAC+ HP AMP altogether and send the digital signal to a USB DAC directly.  I think you'd have to set the E17 to not charge via USB to prevent the ipad2 from complaining about the device drawing too much power.

It is confirmed to work with the E7, so I'd be shocked if it doesn't work with the E17.  See more at http://www.head-fi.org/t/493625/good-news-fiios-e7-had-been-confirmed-to-support-ipad-with-camera-kits#post_6661635 and http://www.head-fi.org/t/479527/news-about-our-e7/45#post_6660856 (with a pic of the E7 setup!)

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #1,568 of 6,777

Quote:
I'd appreciate it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, I am sorry couldn' t hold my promise :frowning2: I have the flu. Yeah I got it on monday but, did not even open the box...

Today I feel less dizzy, so here are some impressions with the DT1350:

First of all, I could not get the E17 to work with my laptop, so I had to use the Cowon D3 as source, via spdif.

For those who think the DT1350 is bass-shy, try using it with the E17. There is quantity and quality. The mids hobble a little behind but to my ears they sound nice too. I think with EQ-ing this will be no problem. What I like less about the D1350 & E17 combination are the highs. They seem a little bright and sharp in some recordings. This is all at the moment, I will write up more later...

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #1,569 of 6,777

Quote:
The E17 will only bypass the amp. it will not bypass DAC on ipods. the top wire is the one you want to use. ibasso is too expensive. get an fiio L3 or L9. not the L1. Your PMP's DAC will affect how your music sounds. the nano if i remember sports a Wolfson.not sure how good it is as my Nano currently has issues

so basically E17 can only bypass amp. Get the first wire. It's called an LOD. Apple has very good LOD on their ipods..not sure about nano 2nd gen but it should.

yes there is a sound difference in between. LOD's(the first one) will bypass teh ipods internal amp, and the second one will not. you will dual amp with the second one. dual amp means..use both amps. ipod amps in general are like any other consumer amp. very hiss prone, has noise and staticy. the LOD will remove this and give you a straight analog signal from the DAC which is then fed straight into the E17's pre amp and then amp :D

Hope this helps. need any clarification

Stoney:

Most people compare the E7 to E17 through analog in. they use the same DAC...so the differences most people hear should actually be from the two amps themselves.

Thanks for your post. Very helpful. But i doubt very much that my iPod has a Wolfson DAC. It's pretty bad sounding. So how would i go about bypassing the DAC in the iPod and using the E17's one? I know on computers this is done by connecting it to the USB, but i want it done on my portable setup too.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #1,570 of 6,777

Quote:
24/192 doesn't automatically make music better. Mastering and encoding of the music have more to do with better sounding music than bit depth and bit rate - if that sounds all too complicated for you, it is because a lot of manufacturer want people to believe higher number is everything, which is only a tiny part of the whole story. 16/44.1 is more than capable of reproducing all commercial music perfectly, so there is not need to worry about this sort of things.

I believe you. The problem is I tried the e7. and there was no benefit of it from it vs my laptop. so do you think it will be worth it?

I have a l502x(i didnt get the x-fi card, i wasnt into these audio products as much back then)

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #1,571 of 6,777
Wait, so you are saying E7 vs E17 DAC function: not much improvement?

Quote:
Stoney:

Most people compare the E7 to E17 through analog in. they use the same DAC...so the differences most people hear should actually be from the two amps themselves.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,572 of 6,777
I believe you. The problem is I tried the e7. and there was no benefit of it from it vs my laptop. so do you think it will be worth it?

I have a l502x(i didnt get the x-fi card, i wasnt into these audio products as much back then)

Since I have never listened to L502X before, I can't say for sure - but if your laptop is the same level as E7, then E17 should be an improvement.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,573 of 6,777

Quote:
Since I have never listened to L502X before, I can't say for sure - but if your laptop is the same level as E7, then E17 should be an improvement.

my laptop sounded alot better. it was mainly an amp. my clip+ can give me better bass control for my m50s than my laptop and my ipod nano is the ****tiest out of all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back