FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #621 of 6,777

Quote:
Unless you have IEMs you shouldn't have a problem.

Quote:
IEMs are more sensitive to hiss. I think.
Someone knows more about this than me. ClieOS?

Unless you are using custom IEM with very low impedance and very high sensitivity, most IEM will hear no hiss with E17. Even with Shure SE530, the most hiss prone universal IEM you can have, it is totally hiss-less in 0dB gain in any volume, slight hissing pass 55/60 in 6dB gain and a bit more hissing pass 45/60 in 12dB gain. However, both 55/60 @ 6dB gain and 45/60 @ 12dB gain are insanely loud for SE530. At most, you are not like to go pass 30/60 for SE530 unless you are already half deaf. So as far as hissing on E17 is concerned, I'll say it is close to a nil issue.

Quote:
Didnt spdif bypass most chips and thus can do 24/192 straight out?

It depends on implementation of the SPDIF transmitter, but most SPDIF chips these day should support 24/192. Do note you need to enable the 24/192 option in your audio property as Windows has them disable by default.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #623 of 6,777

Quote:
Unless you are using custom IEM with very low impedance and very high sensitivity, most IEM will hear no hiss with E17. Even with Shure SE530, the most hiss prone universal IEM you can have, it is totally hiss-less in 0dB gain in any volume, slight hissing pass 55/60 in 6dB gain and a bit more hissing pass 45/60 in 12dB gain. However, both 55/60 @ 6dB gain and 45/60 @ 12dB gain are insanely loud for SE530. At most, you are not like to go pass 30/60 for SE530 unless you are already half deaf. So as far as hissing on E17 is concerned, I'll say it is close to a nil issue.

It depends on implementation of the SPDIF transmitter, but most SPDIF chips these day should support 24/192. Do note you need to enable the 24/192 option in your audio property as Windows has them disable by default.

great to know abotu the IEM's :D

And yeah. :D i will enable it in Windows and use the Midi setup inMacbook pro to do 192KHz

Quote:
What's the deal with not doing 24/192 over usb? Surely there's enough bandwidth for it?

i've seen other USB support 24/192 before i think, or i'm almost sure. I think it might be the chip they use for it...might cost too much to get a better chip and they try to keep cost down.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #624 of 6,777
bowei and cleo: will the e17 have any effect on the battery life of the ipod if used as an amp?

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #625 of 6,777

Quote:
bowei and cleo: will the e17 have any effect on the battery life of the ipod if used as an amp?

if you use an LOD and don't dual amp then it shouldn't have much effect, as the LOD will bypass the ipod's internal amp and circuitry. So it should actually help your ipod's battery as opposed to using it directly from the ipod jack.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #626 of 6,777

Quote:
What's the deal with not doing 24/192 over usb? Surely there's enough bandwidth for it?

It is not about bandwidth, but the USB receiver. Any USB receiver than does 24/192 usually tends to be very expensive and difficult to implement. But fear not, in engineering stand point 96kHz is arguably the easiest and best sampling rate around for most hardware. Pushing it to 192kHz doesn't always get you better result.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #627 of 6,777

Quote:
It is not about bandwidth, but the USB receiver. Any USB receiver than does 24/192 usually tends to be very expensive and difficult to implement. But fear not, in engineering stand point 96kHz is arguably the easiest and best sampling rate around for most hardware. Pushing it to 192kHz doesn't always get you better result.

good to know my thinking was correct. 96KHz is great, but i just wanted to hear what 192KHz sounds like directly through optical. Why not? I have S/PDIF on both my Macbook and self built PC. and i got a free cable from Micca and i also bought the premium cable from Monoprice. :D
how about  384KHz! haha. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #629 of 6,777

Quote:
I've never heard this before.

it's called a premium cable. i didn't mean it was. it had thicker stuff on it so it wouldn't bend and was astehtically better than the others. Really just it. it was also cheap. why not. nobody in this range states what MHz it is or how thick the fiber inside actually is anyway so it's hard to even compare at all :/ espeically wehn i want to keep it cheap.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #630 of 6,777

Quote:
it's called a premium cable. i didn't mean it was. it had thicker stuff on it so it wouldn't bend and was astehtically better than the others. Really just it. it was also cheap. why not. nobody in this range states what MHz it is or how thick the fiber inside actually is anyway so it's hard to even compare at all :/ espeically wehn i want to keep it cheap.

I figured. That's better than a premium cable for most things, IMO. I've just never heard monoprice cables referred to as premium - though they're often just as good, premium implies paying a... err... premium!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back