FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #632 of 6,777

Quote:
I figured. That's better than a premium cable for most things, IMO. I've just never heard monoprice cables referred to as premium - though they're often just as good, premium implies paying a... err... premium!

yeah the reviews for it on other non monoprice affiliated sites were excelelnt. since it was 6Ft of cable for $4 ( i live close so my total shipping for 3 things was only $2.7) it was extra thick and durable and they say it feels like it's worth 10X more ($40) due to the high quality coat it uses, ferrite cores to minimize RF interferance, gold connectors, etc. It's very hard to hear a difference between these cables, and premium cables at my price range, so it shan't matter. it just has to look good. and the monoprice premium fancy cables. look professional :D i also bought an mini toslink adapter and an Monoprice 8320 bassy earbuds :D

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #633 of 6,777

Quote:
Any more impressions out there? This is an impressions thread after all...drop the juicy details!

i don't know if you seen my previous post. but a new one came out on headfonics. the page takes about 20 seconds to load. i don't have the link. clieo's should be comming out in the next 24 hours as he previously said :D

overal, it shan't matter. first batches are now ALL SOLD. Micca and MP4nation are waiting on second batches to arrive now. MP4 nation will get in mid february. micca probably receive in late february, early march..but will probably be able to ship it out to people in the U.S from then with a 1 week addition to what time the mp4nation probably received them. ..i think. that's what happened this time around. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #637 of 6,777
Ahh, thanks for bringing this thread back to the core of its intent, Clie!  Off for a quick read!

Edit: Thanks for the in-depth review and for honestly sharing your opinion as to the E17's strengths versus it's weaknesses and where one might be better served with a different device.  Already knew I was going to get this, and your comments just support that decision.  Now it's just a waiting game until Amazon gets them in stock!

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #639 of 6,777
Awesome review!  I'm hoping the ability to turn off USB charging means it will, indeed, work in the iPad2->CCK->E17 chain.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #640 of 6,777
Thank you for a great indepth review on a highly anticipated new FiiO product.  Mine has already shipped and should be here on Friday. 
wink_face.gif

FiveThreeEcho

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #643 of 6,777

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While it always seems to be better to get higher bit depth and sampling rate, any properly mastered album should show very little difference between 16/44.1 and 24/192 (note: ‘properly mastered’ is the key words here). The issue that most 24/192 music tend to sound better has more to do with either better mastering or hardware based difference (filtering and such). The knowledge of bit depth and sampling rate go way beyond the scope of this review and I am of no master on the subject to really discuss them. The key is not to be too obsessed about them. There are benefit for higher bit depth and sampling rate, but they are not miracle cure and don’t make music better by themselves.  For most practical purpose, 24/96 is already well beyond what you need.

I hope all us newcomers to hifi pay attention to those two points made.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back