FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #5,266 of 6,777
Quote:
Can anyone tell me how would E17 compare to ELE DAC + CMoy combo? I'm new when it comes to headphone amps and external DACs and I was considering buying something like ATH-M50 or DT 990 Pro + cheap DAC like ELE and cheap amp like CMoy; but I was wondering if E17, which among other things has a much nicer form factor, might be a better solution. I guess my question is: is E17 worth more than twice the price of ELE+Cmoy?

Thank you.

Cmoy's come in different kinds and vairants and that DAC you picked is not very well known or used. A direct comparison is nearly impossible to come up on what you are thinking about and an E17 with a user having all of them.

Is North Face worth twice the price of Columbia jackets? It depends on how you use it and where you go right? Same rationale apply's here.

Is two-in one shampoo and conditioner worth more than seperate ones? You wouldn't know unless you or someone that you trust tells you right? The only problem here for both of these examples is that many of tried them and many have opinions. Over here, it is hard to test units or compare them as there are so many. 

Sadly there is no definite answer for these Unite X vs popular unit Y's as most don't have the Chinese made Unit X from Ebay.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #5,267 of 6,777
I am having no luck getting my E17 to work with my PS3...I got a Optical to Mini Optical cord via Monoprice and have it plugged into the E17 to the PS3.  I have the PS3 set to optical out with the default Linear PCM 2 channel settings.  I have my E17 set to Optical.  I am getting no sound, even in the menus.

Anyone that has had success, can you please tell me how you hooked it up and if it differs from what I have done?  Pretty frustrated and would like to figure out if it's something I'm doing wrong or maybe the cord is busted?

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #5,268 of 6,777
Quote:
I am having no luck getting my E17 to work with my PS3...I got a Optical to Mini Optical cord via Monoprice and have it plugged into the E17 to the PS3.  I have the PS3 set to optical out with the default Linear PCM 2 channel settings.  I have my E17 set to Optical.  
Anyone that has had success, can you please tell me how you hooked it up and if it differs from what I have done?  Pretty frustrated and would like to figure out if it's something I'm doing wrong or maybe the cord is busted?

The cord shouldn't be busted.

Your settings look correct.

What other settings are availble in PS3?

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #5,270 of 6,777
Quote:
I am having no luck getting my E17 to work with my PS3...I got a Optical to Mini Optical cord via Monoprice and have it plugged into the E17 to the PS3.  I have the PS3 set to optical out with the default Linear PCM 2 channel settings.  I have my E17 set to Optical.  I am getting no sound, even in the menus.

The first step I might try is to see if the E17 indicates "LOCKED" briefly when you switch input to OPT.  Make sure some music is playing so that there is something to lock to (this is needed on my setup at least).  If no indication, then I'd be looking upstream of the E17.  Doesn't narrow it down much but that's the limits of my expertise.  

I do wonder if the USB output has the same neet to specify settings (linear PCM etc).  If the USB works, I would think that the settings are right, and suspect perhaps the cable, or seating the cable, etc.  Just guessing.  

One hitch I encountered is selecting the correct output.  I don't know what I expected, but when I saw "Built-In Output" in my Mac's output list, I thought "3.5mm headphone out" and forgot that the optical is an alternative to this and so would use the same setting/label.  

Once I did the above, I didn't need to do anything more.  I think the PCM setting etc are determined by the file that iTunes is playing... it can handle various bit rates, but I don't know of any alternative to linear PCM 2 channel come to think of it.  

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #5,271 of 6,777
Heh... I wouldn't have thought of such an "obvious" mistake.  That either says something is wrong with my thinking or the use of the term "obvious."  

My most common error is plugging inputs into outputs and vice versa.  Small labeling, low light, old eyes.  Old brain.  But I figured that was "just me." Surely nobody else does that.  :wink:

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #5,273 of 6,777
Quote:
Heh... I wouldn't have thought of such an "obvious" mistake.  That either says something is wrong with my thinking or the use of the term "obvious."  

My most common error is plugging inputs into outputs and vice versa.  Small labeling, low light, old eyes.  Old brain.  But I figured that was "just me." Surely nobody else does that.  :wink:

I had a hell of a time trying to get the Optical digital output on my computer to work with the E17.

Finally my wife told me to break the USB connection between the computer and the E17...............success!
I didn't think that if the USB port was outputing digital audio it would disable the optical output...........
redface.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #5,274 of 6,777
Quote:
I had a hell of a time trying to get the Optical digital output on my computer to work with the E17.

Finally my wife told me to break the USB connection between the computer and the E17...............success!
I didn't think that if the USB port was outputing digital audio it would disable the optical output...........
redface.gif

Depending on your operating system, you probably have to change the Default Device of your audio playback settings to the optical output of your computer, because when you plug it in via USB, the Default Device may be automatically designated to the USB DAC input. Either that, or just disable the USB DAC playback device.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #5,275 of 6,777
Quote:
Cmoy's come in different kinds and vairants and that DAC you picked is not very well known or used. A direct comparison is nearly impossible to come up on what you are thinking about and an E17 with a user having all of them.

Is North Face worth twice the price of Columbia jackets? It depends on how you use it and where you go right? Same rationale apply's here.

Is two-in one shampoo and conditioner worth more than seperate ones? You wouldn't know unless you or someone that you trust tells you right? The only problem here for both of these examples is that many of tried them and many have opinions. Over here, it is hard to test units or compare them as there are so many. 

Sadly there is no definite answer for these Unite X vs popular unit Y's as most don't have the Chinese made Unit X from Ebay.

Well, I wasn't looking for a definite answer, and since this is the forum were I heard about the cheap Chinese amp from Ebay in the first place I figured if there's a place on the web where I should ask it's probably here. I'm aware that there are different variations of CMoys and I was looking only for a rough idea how they might compare with E17. I'm sorry If you found my question bothersome, annoying and ultimately stupid and unnecessary, but I don't really have the funds required to experiment with various equipment so I thought I could try and ask here maybe someone could help me, I really had no intention of bothering you or anyone else and I think that there was no need for the condescending tone of your post. Once again I'm sorry if you found my post unnecessary and annoying.

I could, perhaps, rephrase my question, but I guess if I asked whether E17 is, in it's price range, a right fit for DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm and DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm you'd just refer me to your first answer in this Q&A or offer yet another analogy which doesn't help me at all; so I guess I shouldn't even bother?

Anyhow, thanks for your time and sorry you had to suffer through my posts.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #5,276 of 6,777
Quote:

Well, I wasn't looking for a definite answer, and since this is the forum were I heard about the cheap Chinese amp from Ebay in the first place I figured if there's a place on the web where I should ask it's probably here. I'm aware that there are different variations of CMoys and I was looking only for a rough idea how they might compare with E17. I'm sorry If you found my question bothersome, annoying and ultimately stupid and unnecessary, but I don't really have the funds required to experiment with various equipment so I thought I could try and ask here maybe someone could help me, I really had no intention of bothering you or anyone else and I think that there was no need for the condescending tone of your post. Once again I'm sorry if you found my post unnecessary and annoying.

I could, perhaps, rephrase my question, but I guess if I asked whether E17 is, in it's price range, a right fit for DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm and DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm you'd just refer me to your first answer in this Q&A or offer yet another analogy which doesn't help me at all; so I guess I shouldn't even bother?

Anyhow, thanks for your time and sorry you had to suffer through my posts.

othersome, annoying and ultimately stupid and unnecessary,

Sorry, was my dilapidated tone really that bad?
frown.gif
 I'll use emoticons. Text doesn't convey feeling. I just answer questions so it may feel a bit stale.

Oh and sorry about the second point. I don't read name or remember who I reply to. 
frown.gif

Analogy's are what I try to first put up.
rolleyes.gif
 Some long standing members have moved away from Head-Fi as too many general questions about those X and Y things. And so I have took it upon myself to be the guy that tries to educate new people when they first arrive on the trends of what happens and why X and Y comparisons can't be done. And if they are done without someone owning or have owned that device, then they are useless. 
confused.gif

I liked the E17 with the DT770 80 ohm. It became a bit too bassy and warm for my personal prolonged enjoyment but none the less it did quite admirably and well powering it and using it.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #5,277 of 6,777
Hey Godot!
I really don't think Bowie was condescending at all...

Anyhow... I have the E17 driving my DT880 Pro's and it works like a charm. I don't know anything about that $20 ELE Dac and you'd be wise to get a CMoy from JDS Labs to be sure you would have one with enough power to drive the 250 ohm'ers, but why would you choose a USB only DAC and a battery powered amp to go with it?

If you feel the E17 is too much money then I'd get an E07K, which is the same price as that China DAC and a JDS Labs CMoy.

The E07K has a bass / treble control, variable gain control, does 24/96 resolution, has a rechargeable battery, nice size and a solid build.
It has basically the same output power as the E17, just no optical / coax input and does not do 24/192 resolution .

Also works a a portable unit and a desktop unit for use with your computer, obviously the best choice.

beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #5,278 of 6,777
Quote:
Analogy's are what I try to first put up.
rolleyes.gif
 Some long standing members have moved away from Head-Fi as too many general questions about those X and Y things. And so I have took it upon myself to be the guy that tries to educate new people when they first arrive on the trends of what happens and why X and Y comparisons can't be done. And if they are done without someone owning or have owned that device, then they are useless. 
confused.gif

I understand that endless similar questions might be annoying to some and while I really wouldn't like to be a nuisance, since I can't afford myself to go experimenting with various equipment I thought I might try and ask. While I'm perfectly aware that comparisons can't be done without using the equipment in questions I also have no means of knowing what somebody has or doesn't have and what someone tried or didn't try.

Quote:
I liked the E17 with the DT770 80 ohm. It became a bit too bassy and warm for my personal prolonged enjoyment but none the less it did quite admirably and well powering it and using it.

Thanks.

Quote:
Hey Godot!
I really don't think Bowie was condescending at all...

Well, yeah you might be right; maybe I only interpreted it that way due to my dislike of analogies being used to explain something I could have understood perfectly fine without them. Anyway, it's really not that important.

Quote:
Anyhow... I have the E17 driving my DT880 Pro's and it works like a charm. I don't know anything about that $20 ELE Dac and you'd be wise to get a CMoy from JDS Labs to be sure you would have one with enough power to drive the 250 ohm'ers,

Thanks. Yeah I had the JDS Labs' CMoy in mind when I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but why would you choose a USB only DAC and a battery powered amp to go with it?

That's a fair point... yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you feel the E17 is too much money then I'd get an E07K, which is the same price as that China DAC and a JDS Labs CMoy.

The E07K has a bass / treble control, variable gain control, does 24/96 resolution, has a rechargeable battery, nice size and a solid build.
It has basically the same output power as the E17, just no optical / coax input and does not do 24/192 resolution .

Also works a a portable unit and a desktop unit for use with your computer, obviously the best choice.

beerchug.gif

Thanks, that's actually the answer I needed; I probably should get E07K instead. It indeed seems to be the best, the simplest, most convenient and very reasonably priced solution. Thank you!

Once again; I apologize for coming with X vs Y type of question, but I'm a newb so you've got to cut me some slack, right? Now with that said, bowei, I do hope you won't have any resentment towards me on the account of all this.

Anyway, guys; once again thanks for your helps and my sincere apologies for any nuisance I might have caused you.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5,279 of 6,777
Quote:

I understand that endless similar questions might be annoying to some and while I really wouldn't like to be a nuisance, since I can't afford myself to go experimenting with various equipment I thought I might try and ask. While I'm perfectly aware that comparisons can't be done without using the equipment in questions I also have no means of knowing what somebody has or doesn't have and what someone tried or didn't try.

Thanks.

Well, yeah you might be right; maybe I only interpreted it that way due to my dislike of analogies being used to explain something I could have understood perfectly fine without them. Anyway, it's really not that important.

Thanks. Yeah I had the JDS Labs' CMoy in mind when I asked.

That's a fair point... yeah...

Thanks, that's actually the answer I needed; I probably should get E07K instead. It indeed seems to be the best, the simplest, most convenient and very reasonably priced solution. Thank you!

Once again; I apologize for coming with X vs Y type of question, but I'm a newb so you've got to cut me some slack, right? Now with that said, bowei, I do hope you won't have any resentment towards me on the account of all this.

Anyway, guys; once again thanks for your helps and my sincere apologies for any nuisance I might have caused you.

I resent you with all my heart. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding. 
biggrin.gif

The E07K is very similar to E17 as well. It has a slight roll off in the highs and a bit of a boom-tastic base but from my expereince with the DT770 80 ohm, that may be for the better. People that use that Beyer generally like a good bass and I personally found some brightness on the dT770's.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #5,280 of 6,777
Quote:
The E07K is very similar to E17 as well. It has a slight roll off in the highs and a bit of a boom-tastic base

I have the opposite view.  
The E17 is a tad bright; I even need to turn the treble down one click.  
And the E7 and E07K are said to be similar -- my E7 is even more bright than the E17.  
Both have flat, solid bass.  

I'm using various equipment so that I get a good perspective, but not perfect, on what "is neutral" versus what "seems neutral".  

Of the E7 and E17, I would only get the E7 if you want those features and don't care that it blanches out the body of the music noticeably.  Sounds detailed and thus engaging, but grates subliminally after a time, particularly with my PFE 232 Phonak IEMS which have a bit of grain anyway.  Yet, the E7 is a bargain.  The E17 has more features, and sounds definitely better.  But still, when I switch to the iPad 3 (DAC and line out) plus Arrow amp ($300, all analog), I discover (sometimes startlingly) how vivid and 3D sound can be from headphoness.  It comes to life compared to the FiiO amps that seem somehow thin and crisp by comparison.

Other thant the 232s, I use modified HD650 with Cardas Clear Light 1 meter exclusively.  Other sources are varied: Perreaux, headphone outs of SACD players (currently the SCD-XA5400ES), WA-6 tube amp (too soft on detail and rather midrangy, but lovely if boring).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back