Europe Deals Thread
Nov 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,291 of 2,497

I agree with this advice. However the product I mentioned is listed as stocked and shipped by Amazon (has the Prime logo too).

Good to hear that in this case!  

I was just making a general comment - I am surprised that Amazon are allowing it to happen so often.

But if it is a scam and we bought through Amazon, we are then covered to get our money back.

There seems to be no easy way to report a bogus seller on Amazon - they should have a option on each sellers profile to do so?

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,292 of 2,497

Guys, I would strongly recommend only buying through the official Amazon website to be fully protected (in whatever country).

I have noticed a lot of pop up shops with no track record asking people to contact them before buying - which sounds dodgy to me and probably is? 
rolleyes.gif

They definitely are dodgy and Amazon is full of them at present! I tested the theory and placed an order... obviously it never came :D I was covered by amazons A-Z cover though and they refunded my money.

The marketplace accounts are genuine but they get hacked and populated with fake items at great prices and a message asking you to contact them via email first to enquire about the item. They email you back with an even better offer than the amazon price they had listed and ask you to send them your details, with a promise that Amazon will contact you with a money request. I never went this far, but this is obviously the point at which you would receive a fake amazon email asking for funds. I confirmed this was fake, simply by trying to purchase the item through the amazon market place and then looking up the details on the amazon seller and contacting them. Lo and behold, they had no idea what I was talking about! As I had made the payment through Amazon it was returned to me the next day.

Avoid these like the plague 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,293 of 2,497
Also, a lot of items that we are interested in, are price fixed by the manufacturers and the shops are not allowed to discount them.

In the UK for instance, the law states that there can no recommended prices by the manufacturer - so why then are all the prices the same - are they breaking the law - yes I think so?

Any legal opinions out there?  

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #1,294 of 2,497

They definitely are dodgy and Amazon is full of them at present! I tested the theory and placed an order... obviously it never came :D I was covered by amazons A-Z cover though and they refunded my money.

The marketplace accounts are genuine but they get hacked and populated with fake items at great prices and a message asking you to contact them via email first to enquire about the item. They email you back with an even better offer than the amazon price they had listed and ask you to send them your details, with a promise that Amazon will contact you with a money request. I never went this far, but this is obviously the point at which you would receive a fake amazon email asking for funds. I confirmed this was fake, simply by trying to purchase the item through the amazon market place and then looking up the details on the amazon seller and contacting them. Lo and behold, they had no idea what I was talking about! As I had made the payment through Amazon it was returned to me the next day.

Avoid these like the plague 
biggrin.gif

Just to reiterate, my post.

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,295 of 2,497
Also, a lot of items that we are interested in, are price fixed by the manufacturers and the shops are not allowed to discount them.

In the UK for instance, the law states that there can no recommended prices by the manufacturer - so why then are all the prices the same - are they breaking the law - yes I think so?

Any legal opinions out there?  

I'm no legal expert, but I believe unofficial price standardisation in the UK runs something like the distribution model of a famous fruit based company: goods have a retail price (on sale on the manufacturers store or website) and are sold to other stores/distributors at a fixed rate on the understanding they won't undercut the official Fruit Store produce by more than a few % (not including bonus offers/included accessories etc). If the store then drops their own margin to undercut the maker by more than the agreed amount, our fruity friend refuses to sell them any more stock.

It's legal as the manufacturer aren't obliged to sell their stock to anybody, so it's just a way round the produce fixing legalities in practice. Want to sell our gear? Do it at our prices. This occurs across multiple industries and product types, but can be frustrating nonetheless.

Edit - last two paragraphs removed as I thought this was a response to a post on another thread!

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,296 of 2,497
I'm no legal expert, but I believe unofficial price standardisation in the UK runs something like the distribution model of a famous fruit based company: goods have a retail price (on sale on the manufacturers store or website) and are sold to other stores/distributors at a fixed rate on the understanding they won't undercut the official Fruit Store produce by more than a few % (not including bonus offers/included accessories etc). If the store then drops their own margin to undercut the maker by more than the agreed amount, our fruity friend refuses to sell them any more stock.

It's legal as the manufacturer aren't obliged to sell their stock to anybody, so it's just a way round the produce fixing legalities in practice. Want to sell our gear? Do it at our prices. This occurs across multiple industries and product types, but can be frustrating nonetheless.

That's why dealing direct with companies like Trinity is refreshing - at least you know the lettuce on offer is the one Bob plucked out of the sky, not the one he's being forced to sell it for by the makers! 
wink.gif

Anyway, back to headphones - looking forward to the PM4 landing shortly as per Bob's last post. Hoping they get the UK batch out by the weekend so I've got a new toy to play with next week...

A great reply! with humor, ending in a shameless plug!  
biggrin.gif

You thought that you edited that bit out but I got to it before you did! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,297 of 2,497
Guys, one last reply from me today, this thread has saved me a fortune today as I had several expensive items in my Amazon basket that I don't really need and can't really justify buying.

To sum it all up - to buy nothing will save you a lot more than 10% off X,Y and Z unless you really need it!
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,298 of 2,497
i think amazon.de has sony 1a listed at 779 euros which must be a scam

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #1,300 of 2,497
Please don't post about Amazon scams.
It's especially obvious since this DAP is barely launched in EU so no one would sell it with a large discount.

I'd usually agree, but with this particular DAP there may be some sudden deals appearing. It's only £800 brand new, direct from Amazon UK and the volume cap seems to be causing some very quick buyers remorse among some owners. Obviously do your due diligence when purchasing second hand, but be aware that there may genuinely be a few bargains to be snapped up if you're happy to accept the Sony's volume limitations.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,301 of 2,497
Sony MDR-1000X at 318 Eur on Amazon.es (sold by Amazon)
Lowest price I've ever seen for it was 315 also at Amazon.es

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,302 of 2,497
Get £50 back at check-out when you buy £200 or more off select open-box products. Amazon.co.uk 

Meaning for example 'Used Good' Beyer DT1770 for £250 !

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #1,303 of 2,497
Sony z1r on Amazon UK @ £1354 now.
Anyone now if when I preorder, and then during preorder time the price fluctuates low and then high again, if I my order get stuck at the lowest price or go down/up until the product will be available?

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,304 of 2,497
Sony MDR-1000X at 258 EUR.
http://www.kuantokusta.pt/comunicacoes/Acessorios-Telemoveis/Auricular-Bluetooth/Sony-Auscultadores-Bluetooth-MDR-1000XB-p-2-230684

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #1,305 of 2,497
HD600 is coming up on Amazom.co.uk Black Friday deal.

Starts at '12pm'  (Tomorrow I assume !?!)

Based on the massively inflated current price of over £360 don't expect too much of a bargain though

They were nearer £220 not so long ago if I remember right 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back