Etymotic Hf2 upgrade - help me to decide
Aug 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

punia

New Head-Fier
Hi All! I own Etymotic Hf2 and really happy about their sound. It's really detailed and analytical – thats exactly what I like.
The only thing I can complain is the lack of bass. I use eq (slightly) in iTunes on my Macbook Pro to improve it. I've just started to read head-fi forums and discovered a lots of yummy stuff :wink:. I'm wondering if there is any point to upgrade to following earphones with Dual Armature (they all in the same price range that I can afford):

1. UE-700
2. Q-Jays
3. Fischer Audio - DBA-02

As I understand they all priced around $150 - $170.
Is it improve my listening quality?
Does it worth the money?
Maybe I should spend same money on some amp instead?

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 3
I can only speak for the DBAs, since I own them and the Ety ER4Ps (and have the HF2s on order from Amazon, because I want an Ety that works with my Touch, but I may not keep them, not sure). The DBAs are, to me, very close to the Etys in detail but do offer a little more listening fun (a little warmer, or less analytical) and have a tick more bass without EQ or an amp. I love both the DBAs and the Etys. I also use custom sleeves with both (the sleeves are interchangeable, the Westone UM56), and I believe that might help with bass enhancement. If you like the Etys, the DBAs should be a good move. I am among those who require a triple flange or custom sleeve for the DBAs to sound their best, as I hear sibilance with short tips. But other happy DBA owners do not have the same problem and are perfectly happy with the OEM silicone tips.

Did you try the Ety stock foamies, the large gray ones? They also increase bass response.

To be honest, listening via the HP out of your MacBook is not the best for sound quality. You need a DAC to bring out the best in your music and your Etys. Also, what player do you use? None? Why the HF2 if no iPhone or Touch?

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 3
I do have iPhone, it was the reason why I bought Etymotic (after left channel was stop working on original earbuds).
I didn't knew nothing about armature before that and was surprisingly happy. My home setup is Musical Fidelity X-CAN3 + Denon AH-D2000, connected to my Macbook Pro through HP. But lately I find myself listening only with Hf2, because of incredibly detailed sound that I very like. Ety foamies – I feel kinda discomfortable with it at the begining, and didn't made comparison tests.

The question remain the same: Is there any point in upgrade or the difference doesn't worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back