Etymotic ER6i
Feb 15, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 57
Sorry, I don't own the X3i's, I've been curious to try them, but have no real desire to own them like I do LiveWires, or SF5 Pros, and the ER-4p's. I've heard that the x3i's are quite bassy though..as in bassier than cx300's and that would be very bad.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the stock tips ER6i's sound terrible IMO. No bass, tinny, weak, enclosed.

They open up with shure Black Olives. There's a good amount of bass, soundstage is huge. Awesome.

Frasey, when you say Shure Black Olives, are you referring to the Shure Black Foam Sleeves or the Shure Black Soft Flex Sleeves? I assume you mean the Black Foam? The Shure website does not use the term 'Black Olives' but I have heard others say the ER6i is great with the Black Olives. Personally I use the ER6i with the 3-flange eartips and like the overall presentation including bass performance, but would like to experience the taste of the Black Olives
biggrin.gif
if you could confirm. Thanx.:.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 57
I think he means the soft flex sleeves, I use them myself and they sound great, they don't go as far into your ear, are easier to put in and take out and improve comfort and sound

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frasey, when you say Shure Black Olives, are you referring to the Shure Black Foam Sleeves or the Shure Black Soft Flex Sleeves? I assume you mean the Black Foam? The Shure website does not use the term 'Black Olives' but I have heard others say the ER6i is great with the Black Olives. Personally I use the ER6i with the 3-flange eartips and like the overall presentation including bass performance, but would like to experience the taste of the Black Olives
biggrin.gif

yeah, Black Olives/Black Shure Foams/Foamies, are all the same, that's what he means, not the silicone tips.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

The Black Olives are the foam ones here Amazon.com: Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium) for Shure SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530 and SE530PTH Earphones: Electronics or here Shure - Black Foam Sleeves for Earphones.

Not sure how they got to be called Olives or who named them that... I think people don't call them 'Shure black foam sleeves' to avoid confusion with the older shure sleeves... The olives are quite recent.

I hate my ER6i's most with the tri-flanges. It all sounds so weak and tinny... You'll definatly notice the improvement going to the olives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #23 of 57
IMO, the olives give the Ety's a tad more bass response which makes it even better (thumpier and more visceral), and it darkens the sound a little...you know take away what some people consider brightness. I bought my olives from amazon, and they got here pretty quick...and if they last the 1 pair for 2-3 months, i'll be set for almost a whole year.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #24 of 57
shoot..i am really interested now. I have been looking and looking for a plug and chug IEM to accompany my UE5cs. Maybe this is it. Hey pez, how do you find the microphonics with the shure black foamies? Microphonics are a killer for me. Do you find they pop out a lot too (as in they are not low profile?)

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #25 of 57
Yeah I agree, bass is taken to a normal level (perfect) and the 'weak' 'tinny' sound is gone since it darkens it up a bit, but it's still fairly bright IMO. It also improves the soundstage IMO by quite a bit.

I have no problems with mine popping out and the microphonics don't seem to be any different to normal tips... You can just clip it on to your shirt with the clip though, which does minimize them lots.

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #26 of 57
Er6i's are great earphones no doubt, although it lacks bass, to me thats not the main difference from other earphones. I recently picture a set of SF5's, to me the big contrast is that it seem like more volume comes out of the SF5's than the ER6's on the same volume settings. It could be the drivers but I am no expert. They are good headphones, and Etymotic has great customer service!

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er6i's are great earphones no doubt, although it lacks bass, to me thats not the main difference from other earphones. I recently picture a set of SF5's, to me the big contrast is that it seem like more volume comes out of the SF5's than the ER6's on the same volume settings. It could be the drivers but I am no expert. They are good headphones, and Etymotic has great customer service!

ER6i or ER6? They are two different models.

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shoot..i am really interested now. I have been looking and looking for a plug and chug IEM to accompany my UE5cs. Maybe this is it. Hey pez, how do you find the microphonics with the shure black foamies? Microphonics are a killer for me. Do you find they pop out a lot too (as in they are not low profile?)

I use the Ety's for when I go outside to do chores. They've never fallen out (I've never had that problem with any IEM though) and I just clip them to my shirt. If there's nothing playing then of course you will hear a bit of the cord hitting you, but Ety's take ~%50 volume from my iPod and they make me concentrate on my music to where I don't notice any microphonics, really. They don't go as deep as say the double flange tips, they go about as deep as they do with the comply's, where in my ears, you just barely see the part where the cord sticks out. If it's any help, I've had people tell me that it's crazy how small they are and how deep it goes in.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #29 of 57
do you know if the er6i isolation is a lot better than the x3i? it's an important factor to me...
also what is the difference between the BLK-B and BLK-C?

Cheers

ClieOS: you have both sets in your signature - what's your opinion?
Thanks

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Black Olives are the foam ones here Amazon.com: Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium) for Shure SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530 and SE530PTH Earphones: Electronics or here Shure - Black Foam Sleeves for Earphones.

Not sure how they got to be called Olives or who named them that... I think people don't call them 'Shure black foam sleeves' to avoid confusion with the older shure sleeves... The olives are quite recent.

I hate my ER6i's most with the tri-flanges. It all sounds so weak and tinny... You'll definatly notice the improvement going to the olives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks frasey, especially for the links. Didn't know Amazon had these. Thanks as well to quiksilver and pez. I'll try the black olives.:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back