Etymotic ER6i
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 57
Lots of people really like the ER-6i, others don't. I know that pez has both (IIRC) so he should be on this thread sometime soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 57
The ER-6i's are a decent set of IEMs. Yes, they are a little weak on bass, but I do not see that as a huge downfall. If I want to jar my jaws, I can crank up the home hifi or don a pair headphones. Heck, these things are tiny. Most any IEM I have heard cannot physically produce huge bass with such small drivers. (Yes, there will be forum members that will correct me on this)

Since you will more than likely be plugging them in to the headphone jack of your source, you may want to try different tone adjustment combinations that make your listening expereince more enjoyable.

The ER-6i's are very efficient so you can drive them easily from most any source. I wouldn't even recommend using a headphone amp for them.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 57
I will say that the Etys take getting used to (but I'm glad I finally "got" them). The ER6i's can provide outstanding isolation -- really a major plus if you're listening on a bus, subway, airplane, etc. Good fit can help a lot with isolation and sound -- I like foamies with the Etys, to provide a comfortable, secure fit with a sound that's slightly fuller than it is with the included flanged tips.

They EQ very well, so if you have a player that EQs well, many of the comments about their bass don't really apply -- but most people seem to own iPods, which don't EQ very well. While they still sound good with iPods, the Etys might not be an instant favorite for people who like a LOT of bass ... it took me a while to really appreciate them (after switching to foamies, I liked the Etys a lot).

How much do you want to spend? Can you buy online, or do you need to purchase something in a shop or store?

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They EQ very well, so if you have a player that EQs well, many of the comments about their bass don't really apply --

Yeah, I EQ the crap out of my ER6 which I really only use in bed at very low levels (using an iAudio7). Even at moderate volume they still handle lots of bass boost.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 57
£40 - i really do recommend the Mylarone X3i. Less than £30 and free shipping. The X3i have enough bass, i dont think you would want the Xbi. Also if you like bass (as you suggested by wanting Xbi) i would not go for the er6i. Sennheiser Cx300 are ok for the price but many fakes and are muddy and sound horrible. I dont have any experience with the E2c sorry.

Have a look at DFKT reviews, found on ABI:
IEM-Comparison.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 57
I've had my ER-6is for a couple of years now. The sound is analytical and cold with bass response lacking. Not the ideal phones for classic rock (a genre I like), but very nice for classical and most jazz. They also do a fine job on contemporary Christian. I'm not a big believer in adjusting the EQ as I like to listen as the artist/producer intended.

You'll get honest sound and a good value for this pricepoint. But you will not enjoy them with all music genres.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 57
With the stock tips ER6i's sound terrible IMO. No bass, tinny, weak, enclosed.

They open up with shure Black Olives. There's a good amount of bass, soundstage is huge. Awesome.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of people really like the ER-6i, others don't. I know that pez has both (IIRC) so he should be on this thread sometime soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

yes, i'm here
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1012007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
£40 - i really do recommend the Mylarone X3i. Less than £30 and free shipping. The X3i have enough bass, i dont think you would want the Xbi. Also if you like bass (as you suggested by wanting Xbi) i would not go for the er6i. Sennheiser Cx300 are ok for the price but many fakes and are muddy and sound horrible. I dont have any experience with the E2c sorry.

Have a look at DFKT reviews, found on ABI:
IEM-Comparison.gif

That chart isn't really updated and those only show er-6's not the i's. The ER-6i's definitely have bass, but it's a punchy bass and it's very enjoyable imo. I think I still stand strong on my Ety recommendation over SF3's. This is MY preference, as I think metal/rock/ and even classical rock sounds magical on them, but I like the Super.fi 3's almost equally. Maybe I can't decide, but the SF3's and the ER-6i's are actually two completely different beasts...I did a review, but I'm not sure if it'll help or not...but here you go... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ety...ctures-255829/ (quick reminder...it has big pics)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the stock tips ER6i's sound terrible IMO. No bass, tinny, weak, enclosed.

They open up with shure Black Olives. There's a good amount of bass, soundstage is huge. Awesome.

Oh totally times infinity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back