Entry level Audiophile headphones? Budget up to $200
Dec 15, 2011 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

MrxSelfDestruct

New Head-Fier
I listen to absolutely everything, with an emphasis on progressive metal, folk/indie, electronica, and post rock (basically I need something that can handle everything very well, as I'm pretty picky when it comes to sound) I've never bought a pair of audiophile quality headphones, but I've owned pairs of skullcandies (absolutely terrible sound colouring, bass bleed, and the cords break within weeks) I finally have access to some cash, and I'm looking to get into sound production as a hobby.

So here are the facts
- 200 dollar budget
- Durable cord
- Great all around performance
- NO bass bleed
- Quality treble, bass, and mids that arent recessed
- Over ear (preferred, but not necessary)

If you feel like I've missed some key components, feel free to educate me in anything else I should be looking for, I'm really new to all of this, thanks gang!

[Edit] Just like to include that I've been looking at the ATH-a700's, if anyone would like to comment on those.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 32
Some recommendations from my past experience:
Senn HD598, HD25-1 ii
Denon D2000, D1100
Audio Technica M50, ESW9
Shure SRH840
AIAIAI TMA-1
KOSS DJ100
V-Moda Crossfade LP

All of them do not require serious amping to sound good, which is essential for starters.

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 32
Excuse my vast ignorance, but what's an amp?
I would also like these to be portable, and be able to distinguish individual instruments easily (sound not cluttered)

Upon further research, I now understand amping, and I agree. I would like these to be portable, they are mainly going to receive ipod use until I can manage a steady cashflow. All of my needs still stand though, and a comment on the ATH-a700's would be nice, as i was recommended those, but figured I would get more recommendations

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
The beyers look like theyre right up my alley, but all I can find to buy are the Beyer DT770's 250ohm, are those any good?

If you're listening unamped, you don't want anything over 45 ohms. So that's a no-go.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
What about Brainwavz hm5 64 ohms?
I can get them with an amp too, if NEEDED

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones-p-663.html?zenid=6cc49df954c3c9a65ca166edea139bfb

this is the deal im looking at atm

The HM5 is the same thing as the FA-003, and is a very nice can. However, it's very large. Like earmuff large. This doesn't mean it's heavy though, as LFF's review of the FA-003 can attest it is very light. Paired with a CMoyBB, it should be a nice neutral can.

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
If you follow the link, it has the option of (I think) coming with some amps for an extra cost, would you recommend those models?

I would recommend the D2 and E9

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 32
any difference between the e9i and the e9?
And what exactly are the d series?
They're certainly not amps from what I can tell.

I've already decided on the e11, as it fits my need for an affordable portable one, but once I get some more cash I'll be investing in a desktop amp for indoor sessions.

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 32
I would just like to say that I appreciate the prompt help I received and the quality knowledge that came with it.
I have decided to go with the Brainwavz HM5 and the E11 fiio portable amp for now, as it provides me with the best deal within my budget, and also meets all of my needs perfectly.
Hopefully I'll be back soon to share my experience with the products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back