Entry level Audiophile headphones? Budget up to $200
Dec 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #16 of 32
If one of your credentials wasn't, "mids that aren't recessed" I would suggest the ATH-M50. They are good headphones if you can get them cheap, especially if your looking for portability. Don't need an amp, isolate very well, comfortable, durable, durable cord, etc.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
Stop spreading this belief that they are the same when it isn't confirmed yet.

While it has not been officially confirmed by driver photos and such, the quotes specifications are a nearly identical match between the two, with the only differentiation coming down to equipment used. Most of what Brainwavz does is straight-up rebrands, so there's not much to say this would be different.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
While it has not been officially confirmed by driver photos and such, the quotes specifications are a nearly identical match between the two, with the only differentiation coming down to equipment used. Most of what Brainwavz does is straight-up rebrands, so there's not much to say this would be different.

Still too much speculation for my liking, also for new head-fiers. Better stick with widely reviewed cans like FA-003, until more people get their hands on HM5s.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:

Still too much speculation for my liking, also for new head-fiers. Better stick with widely reviewed cans like FA-003, until more people get their hands on HM5s.

Sorry.

OP, either way you're getting a great can. The FA-003 and HM5, even if they're not exactly the same, have great reviews of being steals for neutral, open-sounding closed cans.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #20 of 32
Shure srh840.
Can't recommend them enough.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
Sorry.

OP, either way you're getting a great can. The FA-003 and HM5, even if they're not exactly the same, have great reviews of being steals for neutral, open-sounding closed cans.

No worries. You're right. HM5 should sound fabulous as long as the person doesn't have some weird taste in sound signature or that he's a Beats fanboy.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
I never knew you could be an audiophile with $200 headphones. Interesting...

I, being broke, shall offer up a rebuttal. I buy and sell headphones as I get new ones, and the most I'm able to afford at one time is one sub-$400 can and a little amp. Most of my music and other equipment is either gifts, borrowed, or bought used. Currently I own two cans, both of which are sub-$200, but I still consider myself an audiophile. I don't need an HD800 and a Phonitor to love sound, as much as I wish I had them. I lust after them, and that's what makes me an audiophile.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:
I, being broke, shall offer up a rebuttal. I buy and sell headphones as I get new ones, and the most I'm able to afford at one time is one sub-$400 can and a little amp. Most of my music and other equipment is either gifts, borrowed, or bought used. Currently I own two cans, both of which are sub-$200, but I still consider myself an audiophile. I don't need an HD800 and a Phonitor to love sound, as much as I wish I had them. I lust after them, and that's what makes me an audiophile.

Im just messing with you! I buy used as well.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #25 of 32
Dec 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #26 of 32

Quote:

i saw your after post. but still. I don't think that just because you have sub $300 headphones and equipment that you shouldn't be one. The prices of audiophile equipment has severly changed this decade. the high quality things are getting more expensive AND the prices of good price to performance cans are also comming and bleeding out into the affordable range.

Quote:
The beyers look like theyre right up my alley, but all I can find to buy are the Beyer DT770's 250ohm, are those any good?

...... didn't you say you didn't like rap. the DT770's are/have messy muddy bass. they are bassy cans. MalVeaux is a guy i see on forums a lot and have helped me in picking out my cans. but i would recommend the Ultrasone HFI 780's. they offer good highs and mids and lows...like really good ones. i have th ehfi 580's. it's a misconcpetion among newbies that the higher the line the better it is in everything . not so. for the majority of the time with audiophile headphones. some will actually get the lower seried one bc it does something that they like better. the hfi 580 is/has better bass while the hfi 780 is more for less bassy music(still has tight punchy bass) but less so and more emphasis on highs and mids form what i hear. the hfi lines are pretty good. if you want to know about leaking and comfortability. you can search up reviews. my review of the hfi 580 (in my signature) should give you a good sense of how comfortable they are. you can look at the sound quality seciton, but i haven't updated them with 100 hour burn in yet :)

i don't know about the pro 650 ultrasones. but since malveaux is suggesting them. im guessing they are more prone for rock. The Shure SRH 840's also look like good choices. however, i don't know if they will do rock well. my 440's even though are lesser ranked have been reviewed to have a more neutral sound, with some saying rock plays better on it. and from my experience.. rock isn't that good on it. i have it fully burned in already (600+ hours) and the rock still sounds not that good. it's harsh, and annoying to listen to. to all rock? no. but to enough that you kinda just turn the volume down a bit sometimes. the srh 840's have more bass pressense for electronic so that should be good. but from my exp with the hfi 580's...the hfi 580's are total monsters with electronic. listening to Pendulum ........was THE experience of a lifetime with the hfi 580s(after 50 hours of burn in) i can't wait to hear them at 600+hours(which some say is the amount you need to fully burn these in) d

despite what some say. yes. all the ones suggested don't need an amp. but as a rocker myself.... ipods don't deliver enough. it gives just enough. but ..........it can't.. i fear deliver a full experience :'(  you will need to invest $20USD (or whatever in canada) for an E6. is it required? no. recommended? yes. I have 2 songs in my 600 song alac library that require an amp. not bc of not enough power, but bc of clipping. it happens to rock heads that like to jam out a lot. but other than that. yeah i say the:

Shure SRH 840/940 
Ultrasone HFI 580/780  Pro 650?

....and that's really all i can recommend from my knowledge

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #27 of 32
Pro 650 is the more neutral from ultrasone pro serie. For rock, i don't know, pro serie aren't very good with rock, the worst being pro650 in this domain,imo.

Hfi580/780 are much more rock headphone, especially hfi780 (HFi780 is the more balanced, rafined, fast and detailed), 580 being the most "fun". The best in HFi serie being HFi2400 (with a good amp) imo, but its very subjective.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
Pro 650 is the more neutral from ultrasone pro serie. For rock, i don't know, pro serie aren't very good with rock, the worst being pro650 in this domain,imo.

Hfi580/780 are much more rock headphone, especially hfi780 (HFi780 is the more balanced, rafined, fast and detailed), 580 being the most "fun". The best in HFi serie being HFi2400 (with a good amp) imo, but its very subjective.

I see. i haven't yet bought anything in the $300 range so i haven't looked in the pro series of ultrasones yet. good to know DVD rey :) and for most people, I would say that the HFI 2400's aren't their best choices. most audiophiles and starters in the Sub $250 range usually want closed heapdhones. but still a good recoommendation to put out there in case he does want it :)
I'm currently looking at maybe one day owning an HD650 :) 

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #29 of 32

Quote:

When talking about headphones i consider myself an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back