Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 9, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #27,346 of 40,671
Oh man lol that’s so funny!

@SLC1966 we’re famous in Japan 😂

Sadly I’ve parted ways with a few of those IEM’s, but I still have the two EE’s. They’re keepers ❤️❤️
I wish you'd have included the BLONs in that photo too :joy:

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #27,347 of 40,671
Well, that does it! I'll be getting the Odin sooner or later :L3000: (I'd like to wait for another sale; I'm not willing to purchase it used).

The Odin just sounds perfect for what I'm looking for (from this review and many others) in contrast to, or maybe as a replacement for, my MEST. It will be my first Empire Ears IEM and my 4th serious IEM overall (back around '10 I purchased about 5 $100ish IEMs before I gave up on getting great sound from them; at the time I was not willing to spend around $700 for the top tier IEMs back then). From the Blessing 2 to the Odin in less than a year!

Two complements I'd like to pay to Deezel:

1st, that was probably the best review of the Odin I have read: it really, as much as words can, conveyed to me the sound/presentation of the Odin and what Empire Ears was aiming for with it.

2nd, the photography is just stunning, among the best I've seen. I'm one that is sort of so-so about the Odin's faceplate design: it is a unique and certainly a high quality production, but l find it kind of flashy for my tastes (granted I'll only use these at home). But these images really make the colors more refined, complex and subdued, which l think they look more like in person.

So, in sum, great job and thanks! :thumbsup:
Sorry, I missed your post earlier. Thanks so much for the compliments, man! Again, I'm super, super grateful for your words. I hope you do end up enjoying the ODIN's, and please feel free to ask any questions about them if you need to. :)

Mar 9, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #27,348 of 40,671
@Damz87 is such a legend that even Japanese audiophiles "know" about him.

One of them posted a picture by @SLC1966 and then it started a conversation 😂

(I actually just came across this Twitter conversation yesterday afternoon while I was looking for FiR M5 reviews from Japan since they usually just use Twitter for that)

And I think we all know what that picture with 8 different models looks like lol

Here's a refresher for anyone that forgot or has not seen the legendary photo.

6A26723F-381F-41E4-B84D-5A37EF4E5FA2.jpeg

This is the translation of the tweets.

OP: I'm expecting that nobody would actually own all of these right? lol 🤣
CM: ( ゚д゚)*Shock* wait actually, the first earphone from the right, what's the name of it?
OP: It has been talked about a lot since last year lol 🤣 (shares the link to the Thummim)
CM: $4,499❗ Expensive 😅 I've seen people on Twitter that own the other 3. But I haven't seen anyone that owns that earphone.
OP: The one who posted the photo, also uploaded a photo of 8 models, 2 of which are 64's highest-end models... lol 🤣
CM: Seriously😅 Is he Japanese?
OP: If you read the thread, the one with four was from an audition event? The one with 8, is his own personal items? I'm actually not too sure...
And He seems to be Australian... lol 🤣

4EC80895-21B3-4CB7-81DC-F674889CD394.png

4B185657-05FC-4705-AE94-2106EBD68C93.png

Damz, you're the man, the myth, the legend lol
My only goal in audio is to have my coffee table be 1/9th as famous as one of my favorite reviewers granite countertop! I am getting closer to that 1/9th!

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #27,349 of 40,671
My only goal in audio is to have my coffee table be 1/9th as famous as one of my favorite reviewers granite countertop! I am getting closer to that 1/9th!
Maybe headfi needs another sub forum? ”Photography Surfaces” or something?

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #27,350 of 40,671
Thanks to @gLer for his recommendation of PW No. 10 for a reasonable cable for LX. I got mine yesterday. It let’s the X breath by opening up the upper mids and lower treble. Finally I can roll up the cable to get it in the can. The Ares is a good sounding cable but it’s stiffness was a nuisance. PW makes nice cables.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #27,351 of 40,671
I'm listening to ODIN + SP2000cu!

Can someone tell me if changing the odin stock cable with : Silver dragon IEM V2 cable ( https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-iem-headphone-cable-v2.html) or https://www.moon-audio.com/bronze-dragon-iem-headphone-cable.html is upgrade or not.
because moon audio show this as an upgrade : https://www.moon-audio.com/empire-ears-odin-iem-review
question ; how can a 300 USD cable be an upgrade of a 1000$ cable (?).
if yes, then I will sell the odin stock cable and order one of moon audio's cable. there are soft and easy to wear on my ears.

I like the sound of odin cable but the IEM connectors 2 Pins seems too long to me.

Thank you !
I’m with Deezel on this one-I tried a few higher end cables and it seems the Stormbreaker was sourced in-depth for optimal synergy. Iliad made Odin way too bright/intense up top, for my ears and several others who I’ve talked to. Socrates made staging smaller and less detailed, etc.

Something about the 1960 cable keeps amazing detail while being smooth, and also keeps upper mids still manageable. That thin line can fluctuate quick with other cable pairings (YMMV).

So you’re taking a big risk by opting for a cable without trying it first, especially since IMHO (and likely manly on this thread), Stormbreaker just pairs very well with Odin. I’d keep it on.

(Odin wouldn’t be happy without his special weapon anyways right?)

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #27,352 of 40,671
I'm listening to ODIN + SP2000cu! Friends, this combo sounds to my ears like my "terminus" in terms of combo. Can't even imagine that there is another combo better than this to my ears.
I'm coming from Jomo Audio Trinity SS and I can say it is real soundstage, sound quality, bass, improvement ! Like night and day.

Can someone tell me if changing the odin stock cable with : Silver dragon IEM V2 cable ( https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-iem-headphone-cable-v2.html) or https://www.moon-audio.com/bronze-dragon-iem-headphone-cable.html is upgrade or not.
because moon audio show this as an upgrade : https://www.moon-audio.com/empire-ears-odin-iem-review
if yes, then I will sell the odin stock cable and order one of moon audio's cable. there are soft and easy to wear on my ears.

I like the sound of odin cable but the IEM connectors 2 Pins seems too long to me.

Thank you !

In short, EE did extensive testing with resources most of us will never be privy to, in order to find the right Odin pairing. The stormbreaker is widely regarded as the better cable if not best cable for Odin’s intended sound signature.

That being said, if you can live with another pairing with Odin and make someone happy with a second hand stormbreaker, go for it.

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #27,353 of 40,671
I'm listening to ODIN + SP2000cu! Friends, this combo sounds to my ears like my "terminus" in terms of combo. Can't even imagine that there is another combo better than this to my ears.
I'm coming from Jomo Audio Trinity SS and I can say it is real soundstage, sound quality, bass, improvement ! Like night and day.

Thank you !
I believe @Deezel177 even tested Odin with the 4-wire version of the cable and found the stock cable to be the better pairing. It’s quite telling that there haven’t been any listings in the classifieds for the Stormbreaker cable. Of course we all hear differently so YMMV.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #27,354 of 40,671
Thanks to @gLer for his recommendation of PW No. 10 for a reasonable cable for LX. I got mine yesterday. It let’s the X breath by opening up the upper mids and lower treble. Finally I can roll up the cable to get it in the can. The Ares is a good sounding cable but it’s stiffness was a nuisance. PW makes nice cables.
I have an 8 wire PW No 10 cable that I pair with my z1r. It's a great pairing. Also, looks and feels a lot better than the much more expensive Stormbreaker cable of the Odin.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #27,355 of 40,671
I believe @Deezel177 even tested Odin with the 4-wire version of the cable and found the stock cable to be the better pairing. It’s quite telling that there haven’t been any listings in the classifieds for the Stormbreaker cable. Of course we all hear differently so YMMV.
That’s not me. I tested the Zeus-XR with the 4-wire 1960s and found the 2-wire more compatible. I’ve never tried the ODIN with the 4-wire 1960s, but I certainly would like to. :wink:

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #27,356 of 40,671

Makes me want to buy a no.10 as well now and side by side compare copper, spc, and silver for a day with my LX.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #27,357 of 40,671
That’s not me. I tested the Zeus-XR with the 4-wire 1960s and found the 2-wire more compatible. I’ve never tried the ODIN with the 4-wire 1960s, but I certainly would like to. :wink:

It was me :), in my Odin review last year. I actually preferred stock 2wire (4conductor) 1960 over 4wire (8conductor) with Odin.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #27,358 of 40,671

It was me :), in my Odin review last year. I actually preferred stock 2wire (4conductor) 1960 over 4wire (8conductor) with Odin.

Ah, my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up. Thanks guys!

I still haven't heard Odin, but I entertained the idea of picking one up and offloading the Stormbreaker cable to offset the cost since I have Triton's version of it in the 4-wire configuration.

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #27,359 of 40,671
Ah, my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up. Thanks guys!

I still haven't heard Odin, but I entertained the idea of picking one up and offloading the Stormbreaker cable to offset the cost since I have Triton's version of it in the 4-wire configuration.
I was about to ask if any of Odin owners did sell the cable to make reduce the cost.

I personally had to audition Odin with my Plussound X6 as i was on dx228. So had no chance to see how it fares with stormbreaker.
On a good side i knew exactly how it compared to my LX back to back.

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #27,360 of 40,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back