Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 9, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #27,361 of 40,671
I have an 8 wire PW No 10 cable that I pair with my z1r. It's a great pairing. Also, looks and feels a lot better than the much more expensive Stormbreaker cable of the Odin.
I haven't seen Stormbreaker but word has it the 1960s is a microphonic cable, and the No. 10 (or No. 5) are definitely not. Even the 8-wire versions, which I have, are comfortable and soft, and the hardware is every bit as great as on their $2000 cables (with a nicer cable finish IMO). Not a fan of paracord to be honest. I'll finally get to hear the 1960s 4-wire (from the Bird) later this week and compare it with the No. 10/5. I'm not expecting a night-and-day difference, regardless of price, but let's see...

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #27,362 of 40,671
I haven't seen Stormbreaker but word has it the 1960s is a microphonic cable, and the No. 10 (or No. 5) are definitely not. Even the 8-wire versions, which I have, are comfortable and soft, and the hardware is every bit as great as on their $2000 cables (with a nicer cable finish IMO). Not a fan of paracord to be honest. I'll finally get to hear the 1960s 4-wire (from the Bird) later this week and compare it with the No. 10/5. I'm not expecting a night-and-day difference, regardless of price, but let's see...
Since I just picked up an Odin, I have both cables now. I am not commenting on the sound quality of the cable because I am sure that it is wonderful, especially given the comments from very experienced owners and reviewers on this thread. I've just had it for 24 hours and it is the best thing I've ever heard. I am just not sure how much of the sound is due to the cable. I am just commenting on the look and feel of the cable. If feels like a nice cable, but certainly not a cable that costs more than $1000. The PW no 10 feels luxurious and the silver color works very well with the Z1R.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #27,363 of 40,671
WOOO So excited! Just purchased Legend X, I can't wait to use it. I love bass and excited to see what this is all about.
This should pair well with the Traillii.
I would recommend you grab yourself a Lotoo Paw S1. It is literally magic with most IEM's and especially LX.

It's very handy if you want to pop the LX into a laptop or PC with a USB C port and just jam out.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #27,364 of 40,671
I would recommend you grab yourself a Lotoo Paw S1. It is literally magic with most IEM's and especially LX.

It's very handy if you want to pop the LX into a laptop or PC with a USB C port and just jam out.

I already have a DragonFly Cobalt, I bought it last January as I had many business trips lined up...

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #27,366 of 40,671
Mar 9, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #27,367 of 40,671
As I mentioned above, I just got a set of EE Odins. I've been wanting a pair since December and I finally pulled the trigger. I am so glad I did. These IEMs are perfect for me. The sound signature is exactly tuned to my liking. I've had them for just over 24 hours and I've listened to them with my Chord Hugo 2, Chord Mojo and Lotoo Paw S1. These are the first IEMs (or headphones) that sound great with every source and with every genre of music I throw at it. It's a perfect reference sound. Balanced in every way I like. The resolution and detail retrieval is so good that I can listen at 60-70 db and still hear everything. These IEMs are going to single handedly preserve my hearing for years to come. The bass is not super elevated like some of my other IEMs, but delivers the punch when its needed. I get sub bass rumble even at 60 db. The bass well textured and nuanced. Both the bass and treble extend forever. Vocals, Jazz, classical, classic rock, 80s music. Even symphony orchestral music sounds great with the Odins My very first impression after 2 tracks was great separation, resolution and balance. The Odin's don't need EQ at all. My favorite pairing is with the Hugo 2 and with Azla SednaEarfitLight which is the large bore eartips. I am so happy I got these Odins.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #27,368 of 40,671
As I mentioned above, I just got a set of EE Odins. I've been wanting a pair since December and I finally pulled the trigger. I am so glad I did. These IEMs are perfect for me. The sound signature is exactly tuned to my liking. I've had them for just over 24 hours and I've listened to them with my Chord Hugo 2, Chord Mojo and Lotoo Paw S1. These are the first IEMs (or headphones) that sound great with every source and with every genre of music I throw at it. It's a perfect reference sound. Balanced in every way I like. The resolution and detail retrieval is so good that I can listen at 60-70 db and still hear everything. These IEMs are going to single handedly preserve my hearing for years to come. The bass is not super elevated like some of my other IEMs, but delivers the punch when its needed. I get sub bass rumble even at 60 db. The bass well textured and nuanced. Both the bass and treble extend forever. Vocals, Jazz, classical, classic rock, 80s music. Even symphony orchestral music sounds great with the Odins My very first impression after 2 tracks was great separation, resolution and balance. The Odin's don't need EQ at all. My favorite pairing is with the Hugo 2 and with Azla SednaEarfitLight which is the large bore eartips. I am so happy I got these Odins.

I'm very happy Odin is bringing joy to a fellow audiophile. And it is bringing health benefits on top of it! :dt880smile:

The reference tuning of Odin is fabulous, Empire hit it out of the park. The Hugo 2 was never my cup of tea, but I'm glad to see it has excellent synergy with Odin. Since Hugo2 is your favorite, which comes in 2nd? Mojo or PawS1?

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #27,369 of 40,671
Odin truly is bottomless with extension. You pretty much nailed how the sound signature resonates with me as well.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #27,370 of 40,671
I'm very happy Odin is bringing joy to a fellow audiophile. And it is bringing health benefits on top of it! :dt880smile:

The reference tuning of Odin is fabulous, Empire hit it out of the park. The Hugo 2 was never my cup of tea, but I'm glad to see it has excellent synergy with Odin. Since Hugo2 is your favorite, which comes in 2nd? Mojo or PawS1?
The Mojo sounds great with them as well. Usually, the Mojo is warmer than the Hugo 2, but I didn't notice much of that coloration with the Odins. It maintained its reference sound which really surprised me. When I pair the Sony ier-z1rs with the Hugo 2 and Mojo, I get completely different sound signatures in contrast. I need to EQ them with the Hugo 2, but not with the Mojo. With the Mojo, the z1rs are bass monsters and sound like I imagine the 64 Audio Nios to be.

The Lotoo Paw S1 sounded good, but there was a little rubberiness with the Odins. The Lotoo PAW S1 is a very transparent DAC/Amp. It is actually my favorite to be paired with my UM Mest. That transparency pairs well with the imaging of the MEST to give it a much bigger sound. But, with the Odins, it has a rubberiness that messes with the coherence of the IEMs. I heard it a few times, too. So, it was not my imagination. I will probably be doing most of my listening with my Hugo 2 and Chord Mojo. I also have a Hiby R6 2020, but I had to send it out for repair and it is on its way back. I'll try that when I get it.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #27,371 of 40,671
Odin truly is bottomless with extension. You pretty much nailed how the sound signature resonates with me as well.
I feel the same way. It feels like it extends to infinite. And, in both directions. I've never heard that before. It doesn't roll off like everything else does.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #27,372 of 40,671
This thread (and a couple others) is part of a conspiracy to make me quit a couple other hobbies so I can fund my need for an audio fix. Holding firm for now in my resolve to remain a Renaissance man, hahahaha. Retreating from summit-fi to mid-fi about 8 years ago was easy; not sure why the temptation is kicking my butt so hard now.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #27,373 of 40,671
This thread (and a couple others) is part of a conspiracy to make me quit a couple other hobbies so I can fund my need for an audio fix. Holding firm for now in my resolve to remain a Renaissance man, hahahaha. Retreating from summit-fi to mid-fi about 8 years ago was easy; not sure why the temptation is kicking my butt so hard now.
All your friends are doing it.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #27,374 of 40,671
I know the feeling. Balancing fitness equipment with audio equipment is definitely not easy.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #27,375 of 40,671
I already have a DragonFly Cobalt, I bought it last January as I had many business trips lined up...
I have a DragonFly Red and I like that Dac even though I don't listen to it much anymore. I've also heard the Cobalt, it's about 10-15% better than the Red. I prefer the Lotoo Paw S1 and due to its transparent sound which I prefer. I also have a Fiio BTR5 which I used for bluetooth, but I have since gotten a Fiio UTWS3 which I prefer for bluetooth listening as it is completely wireless. I pair it with my Blessing 2 Dusks and alternate it while walking around outside with my UM Mest and Lotoo Paw S1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back