Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #27,316 of 40,670
If this is true you should start a business, they look really professional!
Haha! 'Appreciate that. But, considering the stress and exhaustion photography can put me under, I think it's better if I just stick to audio. :wink:

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #27,317 of 40,670
'Sounds like a ton of fun! I can't remember the last time I went out and actually demoed IEMs. I may hit the local shop up soon to give the A&K KANN ALPHA a try, but I'm painfully missing Singapore at the moment. From the brands you've listed, the one that sticks out to me is AudioFly. If you can give the AF140MK2 a try, I think it's painfully underrated as a warm, bass-emphasised everyday carry. When I think of a warm all-rounder that's a bang-for-the-buck at the same time, it's quite literally unbeaten for me.
Though, I suggest giving it a try with the foam ear tips. The single-flange silicone ones move the treble peak to a sibilant place, and the triple-flange ones are literal drills in your ear canal. :p

Thanks so much for the kind words on the review! To be completely honest, I know next to nothing about film camera gear. This is all dad's stuff. I've handled them a couple times, but I'm definitely as much of a noob there as one can be. You should've seen how much my hands were shaking as I laid them down one by one for each set-up. :D

Thanks so much, guys! Your comments mean a lot, and I hope to keep it up with every one I put out. Cheers! :)
Nah man, you good lol

I actually have the AudioFly AF1120MKII.

I’ll be letting @KuroKitsu have a go at them. They’re pretty much what I’d call flat and clean with a touch of vocal/midrange forward-ness.

They’re really good for tracking/monitoring vocals and acoustic/classical guitars for me.

They resolve well too. Best of all... they’re tiny lol my only gripe is the cheaper look of the shell colour choice tbh. I don’t like the off-white clear shell it has. But other than that, insane IEM going for really cheap on Amazon now.

Man, I wanna shoot with your dad’s gear 😂 it’s been a while since I’ve shot film. But unfortunately, my favourite film to use is pretty much out of production now.

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #27,318 of 40,670
The ODIN review has finally landed on THL! It's long overdue, but I hope you guys enjoy the breakdown nonetheless, as well as the photography to whomever it may concern. :wink: As always, I really, really appreciate the read. Cheers!

Well, that does it! I'll be getting the Odin sooner or later :L3000: (I'd like to wait for another sale; I'm not willing to purchase it used).

The Odin just sounds perfect for what I'm looking for (from this review and many others) in contrast to, or maybe as a replacement for, my MEST. It will be my first Empire Ears IEM and my 4th serious IEM overall (back around '10 I purchased about 5 $100ish IEMs before I gave up on getting great sound from them; at the time I was not willing to spend around $700 for the top tier IEMs back then). From the Blessing 2 to the Odin in less than a year!

Two complements I'd like to pay to Deezel:

1st, that was probably the best review of the Odin I have read: it really, as much as words can, conveyed to me the sound/presentation of the Odin and what Empire Ears was aiming for with it.

2nd, the photography is just stunning, among the best I've seen. I'm one that is sort of so-so about the Odin's faceplate design: it is a unique and certainly a high quality production, but l find it kind of flashy for my tastes (granted I'll only use these at home). But these images really make the colors more refined, complex and subdued, which l think they look more like in person.

So, in sum, great job and thanks! :thumbsup:

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #27,319 of 40,670
Hey guys, I need your help.

I'm on the lookout for a high end cable to pair with Empire Ear Legend X's. I was looking at Satin Audio Zeus and Eletech Iliad, but it seems synergy may not be the best with those.

Your thoughtful recommendation would be appreciated, I'm new to the cable game and new to Legend X :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #27,320 of 40,670

I'm on the lookout for a high end cable to pair with Empire Ear Legend X's. I was looking at Satin Audio Zeus and Eletech Iliad, but it seems synergy may not be the best with those.

Your thoughtful recommendation would be appreciated, I'm new to the cable game and new to Legend X :)
Save some money versus Iliad and give the Plato a shot! Loved that pairing, mainly for sparkle and lower treble boost. Iliad kept LX too bassy to my ears.

Or any high quality 4 to 8 wire SPC cable should help open up and slightly balance out LX’s darker, L-shaped default sig. Many people swear by PW1950 but didn’t work for me sadly.

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #27,321 of 40,670
Mar 8, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #27,322 of 40,670
Save some money versus Iliad and give the Plato a shot! Loved that pairing, mainly for sparkle and lower treble boost. Iliad kept LX too bassy to my ears.

Or any high quality 4 to 8 wire SPC cable should help open up and slightly balance out LX’s darker, L-shaped default sig. Many people swear by PW1950 but didn’t work for me sadly.

I've purchased this cable in the meantime as a temporary measure.

Triton Audio IEM cable.
• Silver
• 8-wire
• 2-pin

17B321AB-974E-450C-8482-4AE0E301F215.jpeg

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #27,325 of 40,670

I’m using an EA Horus Octa and really enjoying that pair up. An Octa might be overkill, but it may be worth adding a 4-wire Horus or a Gold plated silver cable from other manufacturers to your shortlist.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #27,326 of 40,670
I’m using an EA Horus Octa and really enjoying that pair up. An Octa might be overkill, but it may be worth adding a 4-wire Horus or a Gold plated silver cable from other manufacturers to your shortlist.
Nice nice....

HOLY BALLS
... 3 THOUSAND DOLLARS???

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #27,328 of 40,670
Dude, your cables cost more than my car.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #27,330 of 40,670

Users who are viewing this thread

• haci
Back