Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Feb 1, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #541 of 1,687
I know of one person who broke the stalk that the tips sit on, but besides that the only other problems I remember reading was the shell splitting apart which is a problem with the glue not holding - hardly a major (unfixable) durability issue in my eyes. I have taken my SM3s on 2 week bushwalks, to work, to school. I don't baby them but I don't try and destroy them at the same time.

I've had my shell on one ear fall off once, but I wasn't even doing anything. They were sitting in the open and must have come apart after taking them out of my ears. A quick bit of some (special plastic) glue and I was good to go again. Sure they aren't built like a tank, but they aren't exactly fragile in my eyes either.

Feb 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #542 of 1,687

Quote:
With all that said for comfort, if you have small ears these will be horrendous.

+ Or have medium sized ears but a narrow ear-canal. For the time being I still prefer my Sony MDR-EX 500LP for comfort.. (because they just stick to the outside of my ear, where as the tips with the SM3 have to be inserted to hear all the sound), eventhough I have custom earmolds for the SM3. Practicing (fitting) did improve comfort, so maybe I have to do just that. The only reason I bought the custom earmolds is because I was desperate, if I could demo these iems before purchase I would never have bought them. It may have been better for me to sent them back right away.. I know someone else did it, but I also do not know what Earsonics policy is on this issue. Not that I'm going to sent them back now, already invested to much.

The thing that disappoints me the most is the crazy shipping costs when you can only choose UPS Express... 

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #543 of 1,687
its pretty durable.  and the cord doesn't get in the way.  
gs1000.gif
  plus I don't have to worry about them falling out of my ear.  they stay in nice and snug.  I love hearing the music and working out with them.  
dt880smile.png

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #546 of 1,687
Still, I have to really baby them. The only time an IEM has ever lost sound was because of the cable and the SM3 cables aren't replaceable. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #547 of 1,687

Quote:
Still, I have to really baby them. The only time an IEM has ever lost sound was because of the cable and the SM3 cables aren't replaceable. 

True.  But I get my earphones so I can enjoy working out.  I have my Dk to enjoy it at home.  Other than that the SM3 has been good.  The cord is just right for me to move my mp3 player around to keep it from snagging on certain workouts.  

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #548 of 1,687

Quote:
yyyy y yo oou work out with these? after the countless reviews I've read on these no one has really said they are durable... wow you sir are a very brave man ^^

Why not! I have dropped em countless times, worked out with them, walk with them on a daily basis, throw it in my bag when I'm done and whatnot. Heck, I have even lightly stepped on them! Treat them with care because they are quite expensive but do not let it stop you from enjoying them, afterall, that's the reason why we bought it to begin with.

I have had no issues with these except a slight channel imbalance that happens occasionally which I feel is a crossover/circuit issue.I have talked with Franck about this and he has offered credit towards some EM3PRO's which I have immense interest in thanks to Average Joe. Actually, its mostly his and cn11's fault I got the SM3's to begin with.
etysmile.gif
I been enjoying them so much that I will be moving up to the EM3Pro's(all Joe's fault)
basshead.gif
. I'm also thinking about getting the LCD2, I also blame it on Joe for the most part,
basshead.gif
it seems like his ears likes a similar sound signature as mine.
gs1000.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #549 of 1,687

Quote:
I have had no issues with these except a slight channel imbalance that happens occasionally which I feel is a crossover/circuit issue.

Could also be simply moisture on the filter. I've had that happen to Phonak PFE from time to time. I just let them dry out in a closed container with some desiccant silica gel in it, half an hour later they're fine again.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #550 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
yyyy y yo oou work out with these? after the countless reviews I've read on these no one has really said they are durable... wow you sir are a very brave man ^^

Why not! I have dropped em countless times, worked out with them, walk with them on a daily basis, throw it in my bag when I'm done and whatnot. Heck, I have even lightly stepped on them! Treat them with care because they are quite expensive but do not let it stop you from enjoying them, afterall, that's the reason why we bought it to begin with.

I have had no issues with these except a slight channel imbalance that happens occasionally which I feel is a crossover/circuit issue.I have talked with Franck about this and he has offered credit towards some EM3PRO's which I have immense interest in thanks to Average Joe. Actually, its mostly his and cn11's fault I got the SM3's to begin with.
etysmile.gif
I been enjoying them so much that I will be moving up to the EM3Pro's(all Joe's fault)
basshead.gif
. I'm also thinking about getting the LCD2, I also blame it on Joe for the most part,
basshead.gif
it seems like his ears likes a similar sound signature as mine.
gs1000.gif

Glad I could be of help; sorry about your wallet 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #552 of 1,687
Hey guys, I had the shells of the housing split apart some time in November, and sent them to Earsonics in France on the 17th in the same month after getting the ok from them. Through December I was told they still hadn't received it, and now it seems that they are just ignoring me after I sent a few more emails expressing my worry :frowning2: Any suggestions?

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #554 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Can someone give me some guide on the tips that bring out the bass of these the most? :)

I like the Alpine/Sensorcom tips the best.

Weren't the Sensorcom tips actually supposed to bring out treble? If it's bass they bring out, I should definitely get them!

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #555 of 1,687
To my ears they make the SM3 well balanced. Of course that's a rather loose definition that means something different to everyone you ask. With the Alpine tips the SM3 to me have bass and treble I don't need to EQ to enjoy. I'm more in the bass heavier camp, for example I can't really enjoy Phonak PFE or Ortofon e-Q5 without some added bass - with the SM3 plus Alpine tips, it's fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back