Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Dec 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #376 of 1,687
What about the Cowon J3? Anyone know if the SM3 pairs up well with it? I'm looking for a DAP that is neutral sounding not warm since Sm3 is already on the warm side. My iPhone ->Fiio E7 works but was looking for a step up in sound.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #378 of 1,687
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #380 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How about pairing SM3 with sflo2?

Works fine.  Good pairing.  Especially from the LO.

How about the HO? If i connect directly to the LO without using amp, will it be too loud? 
Have you compare clip+ with SM3 vs sflo2 with SM3?

I have less experience than others w/ respect to HO on anything.  I haven't heard a DAP yet that made me want to pass up the LO w/ my amp.  So my data pool is not as comprehensive on that.  There is a trick to using the EQ as gain adjustment for the Sflo2 LO.  This is where I have to ask how concerned you are w/ UI and navigation.  IMO the Sflo2 cleans up the Clip+ w/ most of my phones.  However, of all the higher end IEMs I've used the SM3 did the best w/ the Clip+ while my other phones were just a bit hungrier for more. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #381 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How about pairing SM3 with sflo2?

Works fine.  Good pairing.  Especially from the LO.

How about the HO? If i connect directly to the LO without using amp, will it be too loud? 
Have you compare clip+ with SM3 vs sflo2 with SM3?

I have less experience than others w/ respect to HO on anything.  I haven't heard a DAP yet that made me want to pass up the LO w/ my amp.  So my data pool is not as comprehensive on that.  There is a trick to using the EQ as gain adjustment for the Sflo2 LO.  This is where I have to ask how concerned you are w/ UI and navigation.  IMO the Sflo2 cleans up the Clip+ w/ most of my phones.  However, of all the higher end IEMs I've used the SM3 did the best w/ the Clip+ while my other phones were just a bit hungrier for more. 

Can share the trick to using EQ as gain adjustment? 

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #382 of 1,687
For example, if you drop all the bands to '0' you reduce the volume by about 40% give or take.  Who knows what else it's capable of.  
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #383 of 1,687
Okay, after running around fora few days listening to various different IEM's in Hong Kong I finally bit the bullet and purchased a pair of SM3's from Jaben in Hong Kong.

I could have gotten them a fair bit cheaper from Soundearphones but the staff there were so friendly and patient, and it was nice to be able to actually listen before my purchase.

I had a fairly hard time comparing between the other options I had available - namely the lower priced (in Hong Kong) Shure SE535. I found the clarity of the Shure's, with a delicate kind of sound, really giving me real pause - the SM3s in comparison seem a bit thick to me.

However, the better bass and treble extension, smoother treble, sedutively full sound and better instrument seperation and detail made me go for the SM3's in the end, after bouncing around between stores. (Jaben didn't stock Shure.) Also, the Se530's reminded me of a better version of my FAD A1's, and it seemed silly to overlap.

Right now im still going through mental burn in but I do like them.(I better for 400 dollars!) I'm going to have to start the process of selling off my other models though. I don't know if the A1's or my 90Pros will really have a place after all this....

*Addendum* Wow, I can hear each backing vocalist as a distinct vocalist in Steven Sufjan's Illonis. That is a big tick in my book :3 I'm wondering if there are any specific tips (both literally and metaphorically) for a new SM3 user?

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #384 of 1,687

Quote:
What about the Cowon J3? Anyone know if the SM3 pairs up well with it? I'm looking for a DAP that is neutral sounding not warm since Sm3 is already on the warm side. My iPhone ->Fiio E7 works but was looking for a step up in sound.

Should work fine I would just worry about a Sony, would't want to try that one. J3/S9 is not warm at all.

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #385 of 1,687

Quote:
Should work fine I would just worry about a Sony, would't want to try that one. J3/S9 is not warm at all.

Hmmmm, really? I find the Sony X to pair with them amazingly well. They sound unbelievably good with it. I've been content with the combo for over 6 months which is quite a rarity for me.... and more so than any other IEM I've had with the X. But perhaps the J3 would sound even better, I don't know. I do intend to pick up a J3 at some point. But the X is by no means something to shy away from with the SM3's.

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #386 of 1,687
Thanks!  Ordered the J3 today.

Quote:
Quote:

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #387 of 1,687

Quote:
Hmmmm, really? I find the Sony X to pair with them amazingly well. They sound unbelievably good with it. I've been content with the combo for over 6 months which is quite a rarity for me.... and more so than any other IEM I've had with the X. But perhaps the J3 would sound even better, I don't know. I do intend to pick up a J3 at some point. But the X is by no means something to shy away from with the SM3's.

I don't know about the X haven't tried that combo yet I have two of their lower models which are warm. To SD congrats on your J3 purchase, -runs off to pair the S with the X 
biggrin.gif
, this could take a bit, being one state over...- IDK last time I heard the X my impression was it is a little less warm them most of their devices but not much. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #388 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:

Hmn, I got UM3x paring with Sony X few months ago. Considering vocal alone, I think the sound is way too dull because of warm sound signature of SonyX. I would doubt SM3 would pair it well

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #389 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmn, I got UM3x paring with Sony X few months ago. Considering vocal alone, I think the sound is way too dull because of warm sound signature of SonyX. I would doubt SM3 would pair it well

I guess that's how you hear your pairing then, because the SM3's do vocals brilliantly with the X for me. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #390 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess that's how you hear your pairing then, because the SM3's do vocals brilliantly with the X for me. 

I doubt that, I guess I am not the first one point out this. Just like Confispect said. I like pretty warm sound, UM3X and Sony X is just too dark for my taste. In fact, I think Sony X needs some brighter IEM to shine, like EQ7 if you don't want micro detail being drowned

No offense, just want to share the potential problem to others

Happy listening !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back