Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Dec 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #361 of 1,687
Hi Joe, Well, I was thinking of getting an ibasso t3d for iem home use (my dac, preamp or pwoeramp dont have a headphone jack) but I could of course also try connecting it to the iphone to see if it makes a difference (I hope they fit together well). I was thinking of selling my ibasso ipod lod but it wasnt too expensive so I could as well keep it. I still have a mini to rca cable to connect the t3d to my dacmagic at home. Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #362 of 1,687

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that, unlike the prior Iphone models, Iphone 4 uses the oft-praised Wolfson DAC that was used in the Ipod models up to the 6th generation... So I believe it has the potential to sound better than the Iphone 3.

Wolfson DAC in the iPhone 4?  That's the first I've heard of that.  Pretty sure it's a Cirrus Logic of some sort.  I don't think they used a Wolfson since the 5.5g iPod.  

From a Mac forum:

"Both the iPad and the iPhone are using the Cirrus Logic 338S0589 for the audio DAC. I could understand if you were comparing an older iPod to the iPhone 4 - in my opinion, the Wolfson DAC used in the older dedicated iPod players were significantly better sounding.

Unless there's a defect, could just be how the software is utilizing the DAC."

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-951206.html 

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #363 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that, unlike the prior Iphone models, Iphone 4 uses the oft-praised Wolfson DAC that was used in the Ipod models up to the 6th generation... So I believe it has the potential to sound better than the Iphone 3.

Wolfson DAC in the iPhone 4?  That's the first I've heard of that.  Pretty sure it's a Cirrus Logic of some sort.  I don't think they used a Wolfson since the 5.5g iPod.  

From a Mac forum:

"Both the iPad and the iPhone are using the Cirrus Logic 338S0589 for the audio DAC. I could understand if you were comparing an older iPod to the iPhone 4 - in my opinion, the Wolfson DAC used in the older dedicated iPod players were significantly better sounding.

Unless there's a defect, could just be how the software is utilizing the DAC."

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-951206.html 

Well that was how I remembered it; either my memory has misserved me, or my source was incorrect...

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #364 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
I'm using my SM3's with my iPhone 4, using Spoken Word EQ and enjoying it quite a bit. I don't know if something has changed with one of the recent updates to improve the EQ or if it's in my head. YMMV. 

Gary

Quote:
Hi again, Well I finally got through the last appreciation thread (not going to  read the two others, i  hope everything of importance has been covered in this one). I was wondering if anyone has extensively tried the the sm3 with the iphone4? This will be my main source for using them which means that I wiont be able to eq them. I wonder what the synergy between those two is. The changing of the sound with different eartips worries me a bit because for everyone what fit they get is pretty personal so it isnt easily said if I will get a good sound out of them. Greetings, Anouk,

Hmmm will try the setting spoken word then for fun, but wouldn't that make the midrange even more forward, possibly at the expense of the upper and lower?

um, yeah. not sure what i was thinking there, spoken word is the setting that made my klipsch s4i's sound their best (which is still not all that good). there was one setting that seemed to work with the SM3's but i can't remember what it is. i'm listening with the EQ off now and i'm pretty happy with it. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #366 of 1,687

Quote:
Got sm3, it sounds pretty decent with S:FLO2. Anyone know the synergy between SM3 and Hifi 601? Heard 601 is pretty warm.

If the sm3 sounding warmer to you isn't appealing then 601 is a no go.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #367 of 1,687
601 -> SM3 in my ears right now and it is not the best paring from the HPO.  Via Line out to the Pico Slim I still don't think the pairing is all that great.  On the other hand, the EM3 Pro is absolutely brilliant with the 601!

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #368 of 1,687

Quote:
601 -> SM3 in my ears right now and it is not the best paring from the HPO.  Via Line out to the Pico Slim I still don't think the pairing is all that great.  On the other hand, the EM3 Pro is absolutely brilliant with the 601!

Interesting there is that appreciable of difference SM3 to EM3Pro using the same source.  I admit to being a little at a loss as to how to relate the two IEMs now.  Glad you like the 601, it only gets better.  It is quite unique IMO.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #369 of 1,687
EM3 Pro is just a better IEM than the SM3.  It has better clarity, more treble, and more potential for bass power.  The 601 really steps up the bass of the EM3 Pro and improves the clarity.  Of course, my opinion was after going from another custom to the SM3, so that might not be all that fair, but then I swapped to my iPod, which sounded much clearer with the SM3.  And yes, the 601 is great so far!  In fact, it is so great I am thinking I may want an 801 (or 602?)!

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #370 of 1,687
So it's easily surpassing your IMod rig? It's taking away the playing time of my Sflo2 at the moment even when amped...

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #371 of 1,687
I received the 601 late last week so I can't say for sure, but it synergizes well with my EM3 Pro and my Fabs.  Not a good match IMO with my SM3 and EP-10 Plus.  I haven't tried it with much else yet and need much more time to really tell.  But there is something about the sound that makes me go "wow."

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #372 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:
Got sm3, it sounds pretty decent with S:FLO2. Anyone know the synergy between SM3 and Hifi 601? Heard 601 is pretty warm.

If the sm3 sounding warmer to you isn't appealing then 601 is a no go.

I don't feel it too warm with right tips and pairing with S:FLO2 now. It sounds decent,  it takes a little time to find the best sound out of it by changing with tips.
Quote:
EM3 Pro is just a better IEM than the SM3.  It has better clarity, more treble, and more potential for bass power.  The 601 really steps up the bass of the EM3 Pro and improves the clarity.  Of course, my opinion was after going from another custom to the SM3, so that might not be all that fair, but then I swapped to my iPod, which sounded much clearer with the SM3.  And yes, the 601 is great so far!  In fact, it is so great I am thinking I may want an 801 (or 602?)!

Thanks joe, one more quick question, do you think I should stick with S:FLO2?

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #373 of 1,687
I got rid of the S:flo2 because I hated the interface, but if you can handle that it is a good DAP.  It is a tiny step down from my iPods when using the line out of both (the iPods are cap dependent on sound, however, so that will greatly affect performance).  I think the 601 is a step up, but don't like the paring with the 601.  If you have tips that brighten the SM3 (or do the filter mod), the 601 might be a great match.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #374 of 1,687
@Joe I can definitely see what you mean on both accounts. It's subtle but once you notice it, that sweet/smooth sound of the 601 just smacks you in the face with awe. The drawback of course like you mention is that it doesn't have the best synergy with certain warm iems, the SM3 reportedly being one of them. If you plan on sticking with the SM3s I wouldn't recommend the 601 myself, but if you're planning on using other stuff that's brighter you may want to give it a try. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #375 of 1,687

Quote:
I got rid of the S:flo2 because I hated the interface, but if you can handle that it is a good DAP.  It is a tiny step down from my iPods when using the line out of both (the iPods are cap dependent on sound, however, so that will greatly affect performance).  I think the 601 is a step up, but don't like the paring with the 601.  If you have tips that brighten the SM3 (or do the filter mod), the 601 might be a great match.

Joe,you just arouse my interest on 601 when you think it is step up compared to imod.I used to own imod+amp, it easily trumps all other DAP I owned. I definitely gonna try it out even it eventually may not pair well with sm3.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back