Earsonics SM3 Appreciation Thread - Third Time is a Charm?
Dec 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #331 of 1,687

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know what you mean, but of course, this comes down to personal preference. You can also tame the first two freq bands, by setting the first around 150 hz and the second around 300 hz, and then reducing the level by 3 or 4 db.
The best thing to do is to play with the eq and find what fits the best your tastes.

Agreed.

I did this a lot with my Cowon S9, and then after a month of eq'ing and doing slight treble increases (like Bennyboy71), I eventually just turned off the EQ. I can now say that I am truly satisfied with the sound of my Cowon S9 +SM3 
o2smile.gif

If I am to do any EQing at all, I would look to eliminate the lower midrange bump first. That bump annoys the heck out of me. 

It annoys me so much I am seriously considering finding a neutral IEM that has a wide soundstage, tight, controlled bass and smooth, non-shrill highs like the SM3. If there's such an IEM please let me know...

Your wish can be easily fulfilled. The JH13 is what you're looking for. You get a wider and deeper soundstage, better textured bass and impact, better instrument separation, no veil, no lower midrange bump, more present and extended treble, improved clarity and details, no more complex passages that sound congested, heavier earpieces but better fit and isolation (in contrast to shure olives and silicon as these are the only ones I tried), and lastly more dynamic.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #332 of 1,687

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know what you mean, but of course, this comes down to personal preference. You can also tame the first two freq bands, by setting the first around 150 hz and the second around 300 hz, and then reducing the level by 3 or 4 db.
The best thing to do is to play with the eq and find what fits the best your tastes.

Agreed.

I did this a lot with my Cowon S9, and then after a month of eq'ing and doing slight treble increases (like Bennyboy71), I eventually just turned off the EQ. I can now say that I am truly satisfied with the sound of my Cowon S9 +SM3 
o2smile.gif

If I am to do any EQing at all, I would look to eliminate the lower midrange bump first. That bump annoys the heck out of me. 

It annoys me so much I am seriously considering finding a neutral IEM that has a wide soundstage, tight, controlled bass and smooth, non-shrill highs like the SM3. If there's such an IEM please let me know...

Your wish can be easily fulfilled. The JH13 is what you're looking for. You get a wider and deeper soundstage, better textured bass and impact, better instrument separation, no veil, no lower midrange bump, more present and extended treble, improved clarity and details, no more complex passages that sound congested, heavier earpieces but better fit and isolation (in contrast to shure olives and silicon as these are the only ones I tried), and lastly more dynamic.

I don't think he is looking for customs (or anything that expensive).

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #333 of 1,687

Quote:
^ same here, really strange
ksc75smile.gif

Same here, and to my knowledge, I was the first (one of the first that posted about them at least) with the SM3.  I was initially horrified and wanted to send them back!

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #336 of 1,687
Man what is with the massive quote trains? It seems unnecessary.

To be more on topic. My SM3s broke the other week. I was listening to them in the car with my laptop and when I carried the laptop (with them still plugged in sitting on top of the lid) to the tent they just fell apart. I put the laptop down on my pillow and went to put in the SM3s when I noticed what I then thought to be a dead spider on my pillow. I flicked it away and it landed with a strange thud... after putting one earpiece in and beginning to put the second one in I noticed the black part of the housing had come away form the clear part of the shell. When I got to where I was going I got some superglue and a matchstick. You'd never know they broke.

I don't baby these.... but I don't think you need to be rough to break them either. Good thing I got them cheap and absolutely LOVE the sound.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #337 of 1,687

Quote:

To be more on topic. My SM3s broke the other week. I was listening to them in the car with my laptop and when I carried the laptop (with them still plugged in sitting on top of the lid) to the tent they just fell apart. I put the laptop down on my pillow and went to put in the SM3s when I noticed what I then thought to be a dead spider on my pillow. I flicked it away and it landed with a strange thud... after putting one earpiece in and beginning to put the second one in I noticed the black part of the housing had come away form the clear part of the shell. When I got to where I was going I got some superglue and a matchstick. You'd never know they broke.

I don't baby these.... but I don't think you need to be rough to break them either. Good thing I got them cheap and absolutely LOVE the sound.
ksc75smile.gif

Massive quote trains are part of the new head-fi 
blink.gif

Dead spider on the pillow, funny!  That must have looked like on big spider.  At least the spiders around where I live are not the size of the black part of the housing.  And here is my recommendation for a permanent fix if the super glue comes loose, as it did for me.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #338 of 1,687

Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

Remember when I mentioned that they were easy to break and had poor build quality a while back in this thread? You said they weren't and I said I'd post when yours broke. Now, the circle is complete.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #339 of 1,687
Nice to know you're a person who keeps their word.  
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #340 of 1,687
[size=x-small]Hi everyone,[/size]
[size=x-small]I am very much interested in trying the sm3 because vocals and soundstage are the most important parts of a musical track for me. I am a bit afraid though that they may lack treble and bass for me but you only know htat when trying them out yourself.[/size]
[size=x-small]What I am more worried about is their apparent build quality. I want to buy them second hand because I cant afford their new price and because I am not sure if they are my cup of tea I would lose less money this day. But according to previous threads I read I, as a second owner would not be able to get warranty (this is often the case with european companies although not always, unlike japanese companies I think). So if something would happen to the iem I would be in dire straits. This would be even more the case if I in turn would have to sell them on.[/size]
[size=x-small]I am a bit torn if I will get this one.[/size]
[size=x-small]Greetings, Anouk,[/size]

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #341 of 1,687
Build quality to be honest, is, in the main not really an issue, the vast majority of people who've had problems have been the outer part of the casing falling off which is easily fixed with a touch of superglue on the two pins which should be holding them together, I haven't read many complaints of failed drivers etc.

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #342 of 1,687
Yes, build quality isn't all that bad.  The shell of my SM3 is different than the current ones, and I didn't feel like sending it back to Earsonics, so I just fixed it myself.  And used isn't a bad way to go!

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #343 of 1,687
[size=x-small]Hi,[/size]
[size=x-small]I was wodnering if someone could describe the changes that the filter mod has on the sound signature of the sm3? I would like to buy these but do think the treble might be too little for my liking, but once someone removes these I wont be able to put them back in so i would have to live with them one way or another. [/size]
[size=x-small]I am wondering though are those filters not used to keep out earwax or are they just to soften the sound? Because I wont be able to put them back in once they are pulled out.[/size]
[size=x-small]Thanks,[/size]
[size=x-small]Greetings, Anouk,[/size]

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #344 of 1,687
It's always possible to put them back in. You just have to be careful when you remove them. And if you leave them filter-free, you will probably find them a bit harsh. The best thing to do is to put some low density foam in the nozzle, to keep earwax from the drivers, and to tame the piercing treble. Doing this helps achieving a better overall balance, imo.

The main difference: the upper mids, which are originally recessed, are brought forward (at first, I wondered if the recessed upper mids were a consequence of the drivers used, but after the filter mod, I understood that the filters were the responsible).
Highs are also brought forward, but the foam you will put in the nozzle will greatly affect the treble energy. Not enough foam and you get sharp treble and too much foam and you lose treble. The best thing is to try with a bigger piece of foam and then cut it piece after piece.
As a result of the upper mids and treble brought forward, the overall volume is higher. And as a result, the lower mids are somewhat tamed. Bass too, but in a much gentler manner (bass remains present enough  at least for my taste).
The level of detail might even seem better (already was excellent to boot). I say "seem" because it might be a psychoacoustic effect because the upper mids are brought forward.

Before the mod, the SM3 are quite far away from the RE-252 (regarding tonal balance) and get much closer after the mod. The RE-252 still may have a more neutral sound but they do not have the SM3 bass energy and 3d like soundstage. The RE-252 are very wide but only on the horizontal axis.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #345 of 1,687
Hi again, Well I finally got through the last appreciation thread (not going to  read the two others, i  hope everything of importance has been covered in this one). I was wondering if anyone has extensively tried the the sm3 with the iphone4? This will be my main source for using them which means that I wiont be able to eq them. I wonder what the synergy between those two is. The changing of the sound with different eartips worries me a bit because for everyone what fit they get is pretty personal so it isnt easily said if I will get a good sound out of them. Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back