DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #4,681 of 13,478
Already hit around 130 hours burn in...
find no different after 70 hours... so change to listening mode.

@Lurker0, the volume I listen need a bit crank up around 2-4 click (Mango apps, prev 33 - 36 become 35 - 40)... felt a bit darker, but again must do proper comparison like u mention...

on Mango OS, felt no difference... just as usuall low volume listening around 8 - 12, mid Gain...

edit, forgot my impression, IMO, DX228 is Neutral with bass emphasize... Not warm Sound Sig...
What i exp, AMp1Mk2 still better in Mid due to layer, and AMP8 is more emphasize to low (punchy).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #4,682 of 13,478
Need some Set-up Guidance! Bold are my questions? I'm an Old Audiophile but new Android based DAP user, with an extensive ITunes and High Resolution library, stored on a MAC Book Pro and other NAS. Had my DX220 10 days now. Wasn't sure the best way to get music on my Dx220, so last weekend purchased Dapper, and the MBP doesn't recognize the DX220 as a USB Storage device, nor can Android File Transfer find it? That being said I formatted a 512 GB Samsung MicroSD card to exfat, and loaded that using MTP with ~ 200 GB of about 50% Itunes files, and 50% assorted high resolution flac, DSD, DSF and 24 /32 bit 96 /196 files. The MAC sees the MicroSD card as a drive. When I boot into Mango OS, it will scan the SD card, and I can access the music, and it works! As an aside, I've seen some of the users recc in the forum, for OS software improvements and agree with what I've seen and Paul@ibasso has been collecting as requests. (Mostly being able to see album thumbs in some of the modes, and not loosing your place when going from Albums and Genre views to play and back.) I can't see how to rename playlists, other than the default numbering? Dapper despite following their instructions, doesn't seem to load any Itunes playlists in a Dapper Playlist folder?. However when I boot into Android, I can see the the SD card, I can see the files using File explorer, but when I click on them nothing happens?. If I swipe the screen to go to the Mango player, all see is a Mango screen, but can't see where any music is to be played?. SD card I believe is set as portable storage. Can't see anywhere where any other settings are. At this point have only the OEM software loaded. In the Mango screen when i click in the Left, Right or center screen parts, nothing is active, its like the screen is inactive in Android. Have re-created the library 3 times now with Dapper, takes about 15-18 hours each time, everything functions the same. The library will scan in Mango OS, but doesn't seem to scan in Android. I get a Start and Checkmark, no examining the files and percentages scanned. I can see the files in the Android File management view, but if I click on one, nothing happens.
What am i doing wrong? Any MBP users, what is the best way to get music on the player? What is the best software? Can the MBP recognize the DX220. I do have parallels available; and was reading on Dapper that Mac OS doesn't recognize many Android DAP functions very well, so I could boot into Windows on the MBP. Have considered JRiver, but that seems like overkill for what I want to do. I run Roon off a NUC in the house. I appreciate forum users help with getting my player functional. Thank you!

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #4,686 of 13,478
When you open up the player, it will automatically continue play the song (from the last time it stopped).
Whats wrong with that ?

Jun 9, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #4,687 of 13,478
If you haven't tried yet, you'll be pleased to know that the DX220 in DAC mode with Roon will fully unfold Tidal MQA 352.8 kHz
In DX220 DAP mode the Tidal App would only locally display 176.4kHz so don't know if that's right or wrong...

Roon Desktop with DX220 in DAC Mode
dx220 mqa 352 by Hilton, on Flickr

Tidal on DX220 - note the same track displays as decoding @ 176.4 kHz
Tidal DX220 MQA by Hilton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #4,691 of 13,478
If you haven't tried yet, you'll be pleased to know that the DX220 in DAC mode with Roon will fully unfold Tidal MQA 352.8 kHz
In DX220 DAP mode the Tidal App would only locally display 176.4kHz so don't know if that's right or wrong...
Tidal MQA are 24/88.2 or 24/96, so anything higher is just upsampling.

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #4,692 of 13,478
Tidal MQA are 24/88.2 or 24/96, so anything higher is just upsampling.

Im sorry but you are incorrect. (to be fair yes there is only deblurring and upsampling past 96kHz but saying anything higher than 96kHz is just upsampling, isnt entirely true, there's still MQA secret sauce and deblurring going on)

Tidal has several albums that are DSD or DXD re-encoded to MQA 352.8kHz. For example the album above was from a 352.8kHz DXD source as per this page.
http://www.2l.no/pages/album/087.html

Album title
Quiet Winter Night
Performer
HOFF ENSEMBLE
Catalogue #
2L-087-LP
2L-087-PABD

EAN13
7041888517429 (LP)
7041888516828 (Blu-ray)
ISRC-code
NOUM71101628-41
Master Recording Rights licensed from Universal Music AS
Disc 1
180g vinyl DMM
Disc 2
Pure Audio Blu-ray

DTS HD MA 192kHz/24 bit 5.1
LPCM 192kHz/24 bit STEREO
mShuttle: FLAC + MP3
Region: ABC - worldwide

Release date
September 20, 2012
Recording date
August 2011
Original source
DXD (352.8kHz/24bit)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #4,693 of 13,478
My theory on the above discrepancy in display frequency between the DX220 in DAC mode (352kHz) with Roon, and Tidal in DAP mode (176kHz) is that Roon is showing the Original Master source encoded sample rate. When using Tidal on DX220 the DX220 is showing the actual decode sample rate of the unfolded file.

ie The 352kHz source MQA file is unfolded and played back @ 176kHz sample rate in both Roon and DX220 DAP mode, the only difference being that Roon displays the original source sample rate.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #4,694 of 13,478
My theory on the above discrepancy in display frequency between the DX220 in DAC mode (352kHz) with Roon, and Tidal in DAP mode (176kHz) is that Roon is showing the Original Master source encoded sample rate. When using Tidal on DX220 the DX220 is showing the actual decode sample rate of the unfolded file.

ie The 352kHz source MQA file is unfolded and played back @ 176kHz sample rate in both Roon and DX220 DAP mode, the only difference being that Roon displays the original source sample rate.
Ok, frankly speaking, I'm incorrect. According to metadata of Tidal's MQA files, Tidal streams in 24/44,1 or 24/48, and then MQA certified device upsamples it to original 24/88,2 or 24/96 "without any quality losses".
Presuming that the original DXD is 352.8, Tidal's original is only 88.2 or 96. It's like you convert original 24/96 to 16/48 and than save it, so now it's 16/48 original.
IMG_0705.jpg

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #4,695 of 13,478
Need some Set-up Guidance! Bold are my questions? I'm an Old Audiophile but new Android based DAP user, with an extensive ITunes and High Resolution library, stored on a MAC Book Pro and other NAS. Had my DX220 10 days now. Wasn't sure the best way to get music on my Dx220, so last weekend purchased Dapper, and the MBP doesn't recognize the DX220 as a USB Storage device, nor can Android File Transfer find it? That being said I formatted a 512 GB Samsung MicroSD card to exfat, and loaded that using MTP with ~ 200 GB of about 50% Itunes files, and 50% assorted high resolution flac, DSD, DSF and 24 /32 bit 96 /196 files. The MAC sees the MicroSD card as a drive. When I boot into Mango OS, it will scan the SD card, and I can access the music, and it works! As an aside, I've seen some of the users recc in the forum, for OS software improvements and agree with what I've seen and Paul@ibasso has been collecting as requests. (Mostly being able to see album thumbs in some of the modes, and not loosing your place when going from Albums and Genre views to play and back.) I can't see how to rename playlists, other than the default numbering? Dapper despite following their instructions, doesn't seem to load any Itunes playlists in a Dapper Playlist folder?. However when I boot into Android, I can see the the SD card, I can see the files using File explorer, but when I click on them nothing happens?. If I swipe the screen to go to the Mango player, all see is a Mango screen, but can't see where any music is to be played?. SD card I believe is set as portable storage. Can't see anywhere where any other settings are. At this point have only the OEM software loaded. In the Mango screen when i click in the Left, Right or center screen parts, nothing is active, its like the screen is inactive in Android. Have re-created the library 3 times now with Dapper, takes about 15-18 hours each time, everything functions the same. The library will scan in Mango OS, but doesn't seem to scan in Android. I get a Start and Checkmark, no examining the files and percentages scanned. I can see the files in the Android File management view, but if I click on one, nothing happens.
What am i doing wrong? Any MBP users, what is the best way to get music on the player? What is the best software? Can the MBP recognize the DX220. I do have parallels available; and was reading on Dapper that Mac OS doesn't recognize many Android DAP functions very well, so I could boot into Windows on the MBP. Have considered JRiver, but that seems like overkill for what I want to do. I run Roon off a NUC in the house. I appreciate forum users help with getting my player functional. Thank you!
Have you tried performing a factory reset yet? If not then give it a try, rescan the music (Android mode and Mango mode have to be done separately), and see if that helps.

Regarding not being recognized as a USB storage device - see page 18 of the owners manual for instructions on how to set the DX220 for various modes when connected. There is a link to the manual on the first post of this thread or you can go directly to iBasso's website and find it there.

I know this does not answer all of your questions but might get you going...

Let me know how it goes or if you have already tried these things and maybe the collective here can help.

Cheers,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back