DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jun 10, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #4,711 of 13,478
Jun 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #4,712 of 13,478
Good morning guys. My DX220 review is finally live.

https://headphone.guru/ibasso-dx220-flagship-dap/

Enjoy the music.
Very nice review - I appreciate that you spelled out some of the songs in your testing playlist and why they stood out. Well done!!!

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. I am a metal head but last night was listening to Trisha Yearwood (Georgia Rain, The Song Remembers When, and This Is Me You're Talking To) and Linda Ronstadt (Dreams to Dream, Still Within the Sound of My Voice, A River for Him, and Winter Light) and just sent shivers up my spine at how good they sounded. Makes me look forward to each song I haven't yet listened to on my DX220...

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #4,713 of 13,478
I am on the opposite hehe, before I really like on how the Mango OS sounded compared to the Mango Player on the Android, but after doing back and forth comparison with the two, I find the SQ on the android suites my taste better than the Mango OS.

I really liked on how the SQ on the Android is not too forward sounding compared to the Mango OS but not too laid back, and how the sound has more air and sense of space compared to the Mango OS.

That is why I will probably stick with the Android OS, and utilise my UAPP since I wasn't able to use them ever since my old phone boot loop-ed haha.

Also +1 on the ADD TO QUEUE function on the UAPP (also on the Hiby), don't know when that function was added there don't I have this on my android phone before, but this is a really big plus for me since I don't really do playlist :) :) :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #4,714 of 13,478
Hi All!
I have some questions.
Could you please guys let me know if anytime in future will have Ibasso Dx220 will have Google playstore installed?
How is native android doing with Tidal online offline? Working doing all unfolding?
Thank you so much for info.

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #4,715 of 13,478
Hi All!
I have some questions.
Could you please guys let me know if anytime in future will have Ibasso Dx220 will have Google playstore installed?
How is native android doing with Tidal online offline? Working doing all unfolding?

Hey there, welcome aboard!

You can use @Lurker0 's firmware upgrade to get PlayStore. As for Tidal, I believe it's working fine. I only use the DX220 as a player for my own FLAC's and DSD512 files though. I'm sure others can help you with Tidal as it's very popular amongst our members here.

Cheers!

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #4,716 of 13,478
Hey there, welcome aboard!

You can use @Lurker0 's firmware upgrade to get PlayStore. As for Tidal, I believe it's working fine. I only use the DX220 as a player for my own FLAC's and DSD512 files though. I'm sure others can help you with Tidal as it's very popular amongst our members here.

Cheers!
Thank you much! I will check it out

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #4,717 of 13,478
Hi All!
I have some questions.
Tidal is working fine. I installed Google playstore, but it keeps crashing.

I also downloaded YouTube, but I get an error message saying it wants the latest Google play services. So, I downloaded that. Started YouTube again, but now it says I need to update Google play services. Well, I just downloaded Google play services... I'm not sure if these quirks are specific to the DX220 or Android in general. Everything else is fine.

Maybe I need to check out Lurker0's firmware...

Jun 10, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #4,718 of 13,478
Tidal is working fine. I installed Google playstore, but it keeps crashing.

I also downloaded YouTube, but I get an error message saying it wants the latest Google play services. So, I downloaded that. Started YouTube again, but now it says I need to update Google play services. Well, I just downloaded Google play services... I'm not sure if these quirks are specific to the DX220 or Android in general. Everything else is fine.

Maybe I need to check out Lurker0's firmware...

Yes, definitely check his firmware. I just updated it myself to be sure PlayStore is working correctly and installed Neutron Player. It's working great.

Jun 10, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #4,719 of 13,478
I just took a look: https://github.com/Lurker00/DX220-Firmware-Add-on/blob/master/README.md

I might have a play this weekend. Looks like it's the only way to get Google Play Store and Google Play Services to work. Then I might be able to get YouTube to work as well.

Newbie question: I presume I only need HibyMusic and/or UAPP if I intend to play DSD or HiRes files when using Android OS? This could be useful for Tidal... The Mango OS player seems to work great with DSD files that I've used.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #4,720 of 13,478
Perfect Guys this is Amazing!
Another question is it possible to use Ibasso DX220 as a external DAC for PC? Can it do MQA last unfolding as a external DAC?

Jun 10, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #4,722 of 13,478
Yes see my post a couple pages back. Full Hardware Decode and Render of MQA upto 352kHz source material via Roon with player in DAC mode.
thanks so much so now i have to check ROON :D

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #4,724 of 13,478
Oh yes, I just figured this out, but DX220 is fully compatible with ROON :)

I am figuring out more and more awesome ways to use this amazing device every single day! :)
It has some limitations when in DAP mode with Roon - Roon will only support native Android audio renderer so limited to 24bit 96kHz playback in DAP mode with MQA core decode support. However when using the player in DAC mode it fully support PCM 384kHz, Native DSD512 and MQA full hardware decode and renderer. (PS. Roon have said they are working on Android to support further hires Audio standards - but it could be a long wait - BTW this is nothing to do with a limitation of DX220)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #4,725 of 13,478
It has some limitations when in DAP mode with Roon - Roon will only support native Android audio renderer so limited to 24bit 96kHz playback in DAP mode with MQA core decode support. However when using the player in DAC mode it fully support PCM 384kHz, Native DSD512 and MQA full hardware decode and renderer. (PS. Roon have said they are working on Android to support further hires Audio standards - but it could be a long wait - BTW this is nothing to do with a limitation of DX220)

Awesome, also good to know!

I have very little music above 24 BIT / 96 kHZ so this will come in handy for me to know :)

I am still amazed every day by the overal versatility of Roon as an overall platform, and the fact that DX220 runs it smoothly and natively is magic for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back