DT990 600 ohm vs. HE-400
Aug 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 68
That depends what you think 'there' means.  Some people think even XB500 doesn't have enough bass.  Some people think AKG701 is borderline too much bass.  For what it was worth, HE-400 had enough bass to satisfy me coming from the D2000, but of course everybody is different.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #32 of 68
The D7000 and HE-400 are neck to neck for me. Yes, the HE-400's bass isn't as potent as the Denon bass (which is obviously very sub bass emphasized.). The HE-400 isn't lacking in bass at all. It just isn't going to inject itself into everything, like the Denon bass does. If a song is bassy, the HE-400 won't disappoint. It's really good bass. In comparison, the Denon will sound flabby in the bass area.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #33 of 68
Quote:
The D7000 and HE-400 are next to neck for me. Yes, the HE-400's bass isn't as potent as the Denon bass (which is obviously very sub bass emphasized.). The HE-400 isn't lacking in bass at all. It just isn't going to inject itself into everything, like the Denon bass does. If a song is bassy, the HE-400 won't disappoint. It's really good bass. In comparison, the Denon will sound flabby in the bass area.

This actually helps me understand it a lot better. The obvious tests are stuff that demands low end, like Prodigy's fat of the land and so forth. How do your 7k and hi400 handle super-low end music like that? Or maybe just play this track on both :p

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #34 of 68
You should have bought my d5k. I can tell by the way that you talk about bass that you will not be happy without the d5k. The he400 is not a bass head can. It's a wonderfully sounding planar that is not built from the bottom up like the d5k. It sounds more similar to the he500 with more sub bass impact and texture. Nevertheless, a completely different experience than I think you're after. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #35 of 68
I don't own the D7000 anymore, nor the HE-500 (I own the HE-400). The HE-400 is capable of the same bass as the Denons, just that the Denons are a lot more emphasized in sub bass. I don't understand what you want.

The HE-400 is also more potent in bass impact than the Denon D7000. The D7000 has a really strong low end rumble, but not a lot of actual impact/mid bass (in fact, I'd say it's pretty reserved in bass impact). The HE-400 has both sub bass and mid bass, it's more integrated with the sound, whereas the D7000's sub bass comes first, and everything else second.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #36 of 68
Well I can tell you one thing.  The HE-400 will most likely sound better than the Denons 90% of the time, and if the time arises where you ever want the Denon type bass, just EQ their low end up.  They already extend real low and drop low bass effortlessly, so they won't turn to goo if you EQ their bass up.  The only caveat is that you need a real powerful amp with lots of headroom.  If I give a 6db boost to my HE-400, I have to turn the O2 to as much as 3 o'clock some times.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #37 of 68
Well said, Raven. Seriously, if you want MOAR bass, the HE-400 simply needs a bass boost. Everything else doesn't need to be touched at all.

The DT990 is awesome for the price, and all it needs is a treble reduction, but it still doesn't compare to the HE-400 at all.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #38 of 68
I am looking at making a major upgrade soon, and my source will be FLAC off of a Rockboxed iPod 5.5g. I am coming from sr80i's, and I like the sound signature, I've had them for almost a year, and they work awesomely for what I listen to. However, I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and I was looking at the HD600's, as I've heard great things about them. However, I am also now eyeing the HE-400, as they are the same price point. I was considering a RSA P-51 Mustang, which I've heard is a good pairing for the HD600's. My budget overall is a tentative $800, though I'm not 100%. So which would be better for me, the HE-400 or the HD600? 

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:
The grados actually roll-off in the highs sooner than the HE-400.  I've no doubt the Grados are more pronounced in the highs though.  It's not that you're looking for something that isn't rolled off in the highs, you're looking for something as bright as your grados.

Yes, but with sub-bass.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:
I am looking at making a major upgrade soon, and my source will be FLAC off of a Rockboxed iPod 5.5g. I am coming from sr80i's, and I like the sound signature, I've had them for almost a year, and they work awesomely for what I listen to. However, I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and I was looking at the HD600's, as I've heard great things about them. However, I am also now eyeing the HE-400, as they are the same price point. I was considering a RSA P-51 Mustang, which I've heard is a good pairing for the HD600's. My budget overall is a tentative $800, though I'm not 100%. So which would be better for me, the HE-400 or the HD600? 

It depends on what you're looking for specifically in a sound signature, whether or not you a different sound signature from the Grados, or stick to something similar. I've had the HD580(exact same sound as the HD600) and sr80i side by side before, and the HE-400 would sound relatively closer to the sr80i's, though both the HD580 and HE-400 sound quite different from the Grados. The HD580/600 sounds more mellow, with less of a treble emphasis than the Grados. Can't directly compare the HE-400 with the sr80i, as I've sold my sr80i, but from memory, they have less of an overall low end than the HE-400. The HE-400 have much more subbass than either the HD580 and the sr80i, while still remaining quite linear. The HD580 have more upper midrange than the Hifiman's (which is what makes the HE-400s dark, might be different from what you're used to). The sparkly treble at the top is probably the only thing similar between the HE-400 and sr80i.  To me, the HE-400 have better technicalities (separation, detail, clarity), but the HD580 beat them on soundstage, with a more cohesive sound. 

Right now, I'm liking the Hifiman's more than the HD580, but that's probably the new toy syndrome setting in. Keep in mind that the HE-400 are easier to power than the HD600. I've ran them off the Fiio E10, E17, JDSLabs C421, and they sound quite fine. So the HE-400 might be a little more lighter on your wallet, though not on your head. Too heavy for portable use. 

I would either keep the Grados for home/portable use and get the HD600 for a strictly desktop rig (best choice IMO), or upgrade the sr80i to the HE-400. I found that after I got my Hifimans, there was no reason to keep the sr80i since they do what the Grados do much better. But then you would only have one headphone left that's for home use only, which would suck. The most important question in the end would be the type music you would listen to, I guess.

This might be better discussed on a different thread though, since it's a little OT. You're better off asking some more experienced members on the main HE-400 thread, since I've only had the HE-400 for less than a week now.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Hi, I have sr80i and he400. They have a similar sound signature. But HE400 have more sub-bass, bigger soundstage, and better separation than the sr80i.Definitely a big step up. SR80i for some tracks drill my head due their highs emphasis, while He400 don't

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #42 of 68
IMHO I believe the HE-400 to be a phenomenal headphone. So far it is my second favorite with the HE-6 being my first. The HE-400 is to me a cross between both a Grado and a Beyer, which should deem it one if not the best headphone for under 500$. 

-Shiori

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:
Quote:

Hi, I have sr80i and he400. They have a similar sound signature. But HE400 have more sub-bass, bigger soundstage, and better separation than the sr80i.Definitely a big step up. SR80i for some tracks drill my head due their highs emphasis, while He400 don't

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:
IMHO I believe the HE-400 to be a phenomenal headphone. So far it is my second favorite with the HE-6 being my first. The HE-400 is to me a cross between both a Grado and a Beyer, which should deem it one if not the best headphone for under 500$. 

-Shiori

Wow, high praise indeed.  Looks like I'll be joining the HE-400 owners club sooner rather than later.  Thanks.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #45 of 68
Quote:
It depends on what you're looking for specifically in a sound signature, whether or not you a different sound signature from the Grados, or stick to something similar. I've had the HD580(exact same sound as the HD600) and sr80i side by side before, and the HE-400 would sound relatively closer to the sr80i's, though both the HD580 and HE-400 sound quite different from the Grados. The HD580/600 sounds more mellow, with less of a treble emphasis than the Grados. Can't directly compare the HE-400 with the sr80i, as I've sold my sr80i, but from memory, they have less of an overall low end than the HE-400. The HE-400 have much more subbass than either the HD580 and the sr80i, while still remaining quite linear. The HD580 have more upper midrange than the Hifiman's (which is what makes the HE-400s dark, might be different from what you're used to). The sparkly treble at the top is probably the only thing similar between the HE-400 and sr80i.  To me, the HE-400 have better technicalities (separation, detail, clarity), but the HD580 beat them on soundstage, with a more cohesive sound. 

Right now, I'm liking the Hifiman's more than the HD580, but that's probably the new toy syndrome setting in. Keep in mind that the HE-400 are easier to power than the HD600. I've ran them off the Fiio E10, E17, JDSLabs C421, and they sound quite fine. So the HE-400 might be a little more lighter on your wallet, though not on your head. Too heavy for portable use. 

I would either keep the Grados for home/portable use and get the HD600 for a strictly desktop rig (best choice IMO), or upgrade the sr80i to the HE-400. I found that after I got my Hifimans, there was no reason to keep the sr80i since they do what the Grados do much better. But then you would only have one headphone left that's for home use only, which would suck. The most important question in the end would be the type music you would listen to, I guess.

This might be better discussed on a different thread though, since it's a little OT. You're better off asking some more experienced members on the main HE-400 thread, since I've only had the HE-400 for less than a week now.

Quote:

Thanks so much for the good info, just got back from vacation, so I didn't have time to respond. Now it's a toss-up between the sr325i, which someone on /g/ recommended, or the HE-400. Off to make a new thread/post in the HE-400 owner's thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back