Drum N' Bass Headphones
Feb 6, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #31 of 46
I was thinking it was insane that no one mentioned the Denons sooner. Tight, punchy articulate bass. Also, a balanced sound good for other genres if you ever get a wild hair.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #32 of 46
M50's....the bass is powerful on these headphones, amped even bit more powerful, everyone that has tried them really seems to like them, never heard any complaints other then some people dont like the leather pads

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal425 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone did a test for me in another thread with Black Sun Empire, and all of his cans. He first tested the JVC HARX900, and said the bass was too slow and sloppy to keep up with DnB. Then he tested M50's and he said it had the same kind of feel to them. I'm a bit concerned. Those d1001's look nice, I won't have to amp them. The only thing I'm concerned about is the Denon's build quality looks a little cheap, and they don't look that comfortable. Anyone have opinions on that?

A few things. Most of this from my reading, but rest assured I've spent way too much time on head-fi and wouldn't say anything if I couldn't back it up substantially.

-First, use this link for the music track you sent. Youtube compresses audio alot, and you should try adding "&fmt=18" to all tracks without an HQ option in order to gain a higher bitrate from the audio. So the link would be YouTube - limewax - he will find us Try it, you'll hear the SQ diff ^_^

-Again, the RX700 is a different beast all together, and I think people should stop associating the two together, or assuming the 900 is better than its lower numbered sibling(not saying you are, but people seem to do it a lot), because the evidence seems to point substantially otherwise. The RX700 is a significantly quicker, tighter, and not as sloppy as the RX900, especially on bass, based on the 70+ pages of thread I read in the appreciation threads XD. If you can afford it(they are quite cheap, after all), I recommend you get them just incase you don't like your other option.

-I've heard a minority of complaints M50s can be slow and somewhat sloppy for quicker bassy music. Bass is textured, but not the quickest, according to those few. Opinions vary though, and it might be source dependent. That's not what I generally heard about the m50s.

-The Denon 1001s are almost identical to the Creative Aurvana Live which can be had for way cheaper.

Costco - Creative Aurvana Live! Vivid Performance For Music Connoisseurs

This is because they are manufacturing clones. They are both made by Foster. Same exact drivers, same pads, just different cups, and some different materials otherwise. Put aside your fears of it being uncomfortable, as general consensus is that these two headphones are some of the most comfortable headphones in existence. Build quality is also supposed to be excellent according to headroom.

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/...220_bundle.jpg

If you are going to get the denons, I would suggest you get the CAL! instead. You'll save alot of money and chances are any different in SQ is very little, if any. For those who have heard both, that has been the consensus I've read.

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #34 of 46
Nice post Napilopez,

Just to back up what you mentioned about the Denons/CAL's, they are easily one of the most comfortable headphones you'll find. I wear them for about 6hours a day at work and take then on/off quite regularly and the built quality is just as good as day one.

Considering the price of the CAL! is nearly 3x less then the M50's is a crazy deal not to pass up.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice post Napilopez,

Just to back up what you mentioned about the Denons/CAL's, they are easily one of the most comfortable headphones you'll find. I wear them for about 6hours a day at work and take then on/off quite regularly and the built quality is just as good as day one.

Considering the price of the CAL! is nearly 3x less then the M50's is a crazy deal not to pass up.

The JVC RX700's look promising and very cheap. Napilopez, have you listened to "He Will Find Us" with your RX700's? How does it sound?

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal425 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I get flat pads? Link?

Would I need to amp the grados?

Grado Flat Pads - $35.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie

No amp necessary, Grados are low impedance and while they improve with an amp, it isn't needed for the 'phones to sound great.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 46
Have you tried the Koss Porta-Pro or KSC-35? I'm not sure what you have or haven't heard headphone wise, but those two are pretty competitive under $100 dollars. They are worth it just to have in your collection. They can be amplifier/modified/tweaked with resistive loads - so you can kind of tailor them to your liking.

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #42 of 46
Maybe Sony XB700s.  I'll try mine out on that video you linked to later when I get home.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #45 of 46
After listening to a couple of songs on youtube, I think you may want something with more of a mid bass emphasis than the XB700s offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back