Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Sep 12, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #182 of 1,383
The cable is actually a bit heavier than most, so I found wearing the FDX1 with the cables straight down made it easier to break the seal, especially during physical activity. Since the casing allows the front portion with the nozzle to rotate, I’ve never had an easier time fitting an IEM with the cable over the ear in a way that allows the best fit.

My review will be posted tomorrow in the Head Gear area ...
I saw your review said there is a 30 day return policy? I did not see that on the Drop. Did I miss it?

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #183 of 1,383
I saw your review said there is a 30 day return policy? I did not see that on the Drop. Did I miss it?

Thank you for pointing this out. I had recalled that Drop refunds items from its Studio category, and since the FDX1 is in that category, I made an assumption. I just finished reviewing Drop’s refund policy, and though my recollection was correct, on closer reading, some Studio items are not refundable. The FDX1 is not refundable unless there is a problem with delivery.

My apologies to all on my oversight, and I now need to edit my just posted review.

Sep 12, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #184 of 1,383
Thank you for pointing this out. I had recalled that Drop refunds items from its Studio category, and since the FDX1 is in that category, I made an assumption. I just finished reviewing Drop’s refund policy, and though my recollection was correct, on closer reading, some Studio items are not refundable. The FDX1 is not refundable unless there is a problem with delivery.

My apologies to all on my oversight, and I now need to edit my just posted review.
Thank you for clarifying that.

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #185 of 1,383
Any chance anybody who has heard either the modded FD01 or the FDX1 have also heard the Toneking Nine Tail? they seem to be fairly close in signature given the graphs provided by @crabdog. I know we cannot compare the different measurement systems and it only tells a partial story anyway...which is why I am asking this question for the subjective comparison.

The silver nozzle + blue rear seems darn close with a touch more bass (ignoring >10Khz because it is not reliable anyway)
https://primeaudio.org/toneking-nine-tail-mythological-audio/
Blue-rear.png

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #186 of 1,383
Note: Only graphs measured on the same rig should be compared. I used a simple tube coupler (details).

The $60 Hifi Walker A1 mod was suggested by @james444 last year and, according to him (at the time), offers 90% of the modded JVC FD1's sound quality. But what is striking is the missing upper midrange in the $600 Senns...which is sonically very obvious as it causes dullness and congestion.

mix.jpg

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #188 of 1,383
I just posted my review for the FDX1 ...
Great review! Love how you describe the characteristics with specific examples.

I commented on your review and my observations of cable influence on a modded FD02, which IMO quite significantly improves the handling of congested music.

Thanks again! I’m really looking forward to the FDX1

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #189 of 1,383
Huge fan of vintage JVC turntables and stereo receivers. I’m currently shopping around for new iems, and then I saw this thread. How would these headphone pair against RHA T20 and CL750?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #190 of 1,383
Huge fan of vintage JVC turntables and stereo receivers. I’m currently shopping around for new iems, and then I saw this thread. How would these headphone pair against RHA T20 and CL750?

Anyone who reviewed it willing to chime in?

Sep 19, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #191 of 1,383
Anyone who reviewed it willing to chime in?
Don't know how they compare against the other models but these JVCs are interesting for two particular reasons: 1) they are excellent (got a review loaner pair), and 2) they are a strictly limited edition.

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #192 of 1,383
Don't know how they compare against the other models but these JVCs are interesting for two particular reasons: 1) they are excellent (got a review loaner pair), and 2) they are a strictly limited edition.
Have you heard these?

Any thoughts on how they compare to a Lyra2???

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #195 of 1,383
I have a pair of HA-FX850, how do these compare to the wooden ones?

Maybe you'll find these posts helpful. The FX850 are pretty similar to the FW01 woodies I'm referring to (just a little more v-shaped with more pronounced bass and treble). The FDX1 are considerably more balanced and refined.

Just my 2c, I've had pretty much all of the JVC woody series: FX750, FX850, FX1100 and FW01. And I still like to listen to the FW01 from time to time.

However, imo the modded FD01 (and presumably the FDX1) are technically superior to all of them. Over the course of last year, my JVC listening habits have come to 80-90% with the FD01 and maybe 10-20% with the FW01.

...but are the woodies about absolute technical ability??? Or do people like them for the timbre and organic nature of the woody driver sound esp. after they may tweak for better tonal balance.

No. But as far as I'm concerned, neither are the FD01 about absolute technical ability. These are still single DDs from the same manufacturer as the woodies... and not some multi-multi-BA technicality-monsters.

Please note that this is just my subjective opinion. And note that I've tweaked both the woodies and the FD01 for better tonal balance, so what I'm comparing sounds probably less different in timbre than you may think.

I still listen to a lot of classical music, the genre the woodies have been most famous for rendering "in their own sweet way". And to my ears, the modded FD01 sound gorgeous too, particularly with strings. They have silky smooth treble with violins... but in comparison to the FW01 noticeably more extension on top, which makes them sound more airy and open. And the cello's low range may not be quite as thick as on the FW01, but it's no less organic in my book.

Bottom line, when I bought and modded the FD01 more than a year ago, I did not plan nor anticipate for them to become such a fierce competition for my woodies. Thing is, when I'm in a music listening mood, I usually don't deliberately pick a particular pair of IEMs, but rather go with my gut. And as it happened, I found myself reaching more and more often for the FD01 over the FW01. That's all I'm saying, I personally do not feel they sacrifice much of what made the woodies special, but they improve on them in technical aspects and have easily become my overall favorite JVCs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back