Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Sep 8, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #167 of 1,383
Started my listening today after 3 days of burn-in. Initial impressions are good. I favor the green nozzle since the blue one took some air out of the upper frequencies. The DD bass is really good, not to the level of the FW01 or FX1100, but better textured.

No question about it, the final E series tips with its smaller bore sound and fit better than the JVC tips, to my ears, anyway.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #168 of 1,383
How would this compare to a campfire audio Lyra 2?

More bass? Less bass?
Wider and more airy 3D soundstage stage?
Better vocals?
Better highs?
TIA

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #169 of 1,383
Started my listening today after 3 days of burn-in. Initial impressions are good. I favor the green nozzle since the blue one took some air out of the upper frequencies. The DD bass is really good, not to the level of the FW01 or FX1100, but better textured.

No question about it, the final E series tips with its smaller bore sound and fit better than the JVC tips, to my ears, anyway.

I suspect the smaller bore Final E tips may cut down on treble a bit (reverse horn effect). Hence green nozzle + Final E tips might actually sound closer to blue nozzle + Spiral Dots.

Just an assumption, but if I can find the time (and Final E tips), I'll do some measurements to confirm.

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #170 of 1,383
We have sold 400 of the 490 unit limit in only a few days.

You got the word out and participated in our JVC launch...thank you, Community!

JVC has also been excited and watching our progress.

We asked JVC and they checked with their internal teams and factory to see if we could increase the pre-sale limit to 665 units.

JVC has just confirmed today that they can increase the limit to 665 units WITHOUT affecting the ship date before Christmas.

The limit has been raised, I’m very glad that many of you can enjoy these soon!

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #171 of 1,383
We have sold 400 of the 490 unit limit in only a few days.

You got the word out and participated in our JVC launch...thank you, Community!

JVC has also been excited and watching our progress.

We asked JVC and they checked with their internal teams and factory to see if we could increase the pre-sale limit to 665 units.

JVC has just confirmed today that they can increase the limit to 665 units WITHOUT affecting the ship date before Christmas.

Nice work!!!

If there is any chance of getting JVC to offer a 2.5mm balanced cable option - that would be a fantastic bonus? If not - no big deal - I will just need to buy one separately (still trying to wade through the monumental number of options on that front).

Cheers,
Tim

Sep 9, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #172 of 1,383

Wonder if there's any order from China? I started a thread over at erji.net as I know FD01 is quite well regarded over there and some of them might be interested in the FDX1 as well.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #174 of 1,383
I suspect the smaller bore Final E tips may cut down on treble a bit (reverse horn effect). Hence green nozzle + Final E tips might actually sound closer to blue nozzle + Spiral Dots.

Just an assumption, but if I can find the time (and Final E tips), I'll do some measurements to confirm.

Here's the measured effect of Final E tips on my modded FD01. There's not a lot of difference from bass up to lower treble, but high treble extension is cut short due to smaller bore size (reverse horn effect).

(brown = Spiral Dots, orange = Final E tips)
U57DyF0.jpg

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #175 of 1,383
Here's the measured effect of Final E tips on my modded FD01. There's not a lot of difference from bass up to lower treble, but high treble extension is cut short due to smaller bore size (reverse horn effect).

(brown = Spiral Dots, orange = Final E tips)
U57DyF0.jpg

Thanks for doing the measurement on the final tips. I’m glad my observation was confirmed, and not a figment of my imagination!

Sep 11, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #177 of 1,383
For anyone who has been fortunate enough to test the evaluation units. Is this the normal seating, this extended from the ear ?

Due to the 360 degrees rotatable nozzle, you can wear these in various ways. Inconspicuousness and comfort may depend on your ear size and shape, but I wear them like this:

(Note that this is the FD01 with TRN BT20S true wireless adapter, but I wear the FDX1 with cables the same way)
c0Y2Wgd.jpg

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #179 of 1,383
The cable is actually a bit heavier than most, so I found wearing the FDX1 with the cables straight down made it easier to break the seal, especially during physical activity. Since the casing allows the front portion with the nozzle to rotate, I’ve never had an easier time fitting an IEM with the cable over the ear in a way that allows the best fit.

My review will be posted tomorrow in the Head Gear area ...

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #180 of 1,383
I did some serious analytical listening today to characterize the FDX1 for my forthcoming review. And while their qualities are out of question, I went through the same playlist with the $40 Blon BL-03 thereafter...and it held up pretty much (well, not exactly but it came pretty darn close) against the JVC in terms of tonal accuracy and balance...ok, the Blon is brighter, has more recessed mids and is overall a bit thinner sounding than the JVC, but it was still an immense pleasure listening to a cross section of classical and rock/op music. Both did a terrific job on the natural reproduction of a "Waldhorn" in a Beethoven scherzo you will not find in a BA earphone. As said before, the BL-03 sports the same driver as the Tanchjim Oxygen and both were tuned by the same guy. But as this thing looks a bit non-descript, comes with a cheap cable, and has short nozzles and crappy tips [yes it needed some tinkering], most reviewers registered it as soso. If the shortcomings were fixed, this could be an interesting iem for the mature crowd on drop.com, Tanimoto san (@CEE TEE).
What?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back