DIY Earbuds
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #766 of 4,718
Apologies for going off-topic. Am looking for recommendations on sub-$50 DAPs - vertically-oriented, simple user interface, slim and, typically, quite weak output.

headphone amp.jpg
I had originally wanted to find a housing for this headphone amp board from my old stash. It makes a nice weighty sound.
I then realise this could be a good basis for a DAP, if I can mash it with a slim DAP internals and house them together back-to-back (removing slim DAP's battery and rear housing).

I have no clue what is a halfway decent sounding cheap slim DAPs I see on AliExpress.
There used to be a few threads, but no one talks about them anymore.
Any recommendation on these slim DAPs will be helpful to me.
Thanks.

EDIT: Just to close out this off-topic post. I just ordered Benjie X3 from taobao for almost no money (around US$10). I will probably create another DIY thread if this DAP/Amp mash-up turns out any good.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #767 of 4,718
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #769 of 4,718
Apologies for going off-topic. Am looking for recommendations on sub-$50 DAPs - vertically-oriented, simple user interface, slim and, typically, quite weak output.

I had originally wanted to find a housing for this headphone amp board from my old stash. It makes a nice weighty sound.
I then realise this could be a good basis for a DAP, if I can mash it with a slim DAP internals and house them together back-to-back (removing slim DAP's battery and rear housing).

I have no clue what is a halfway decent sounding cheap slim DAPs I see on AliExpress.
There used to be a few threads, but no one talks about them anymore.
Any recommendation on these slim DAPs will be helpful to me.
Thanks.

EDIT: Just to close out this off-topic post. I just ordered Benjie X3 from taobao for almost no money (around US$10). I will probably create another DIY thread if this DAP/Amp mash-up turns out any good.

a while ago, i had saw this, a bit late though..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSD...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.299.11cb3c00pVdlN0

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #771 of 4,718
It takes quite a long time since I sent my specific DIY parts to PHARKAR consisting of 2 japanese soldering wire, CL copper splitter, 4.4 mm CL pure copper plug and Toxic discontinued Silver Plated Copper Litz (The Last workpiece before Mr.Frank died). Now My custom-spec PHARKAR 185 Ohm already finished. Look forward to listening it.

PHRAKAR 185 Copper 480p.png

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #773 of 4,718
I got curious and inspired by the diy earbuds on post in the earbud and iem/earbud lounge. Complete newbie here, but would there be good source on how to get started making your own buds? Haha, I may be too optimistic about this as I only have super basic soldering knowledge back in college a few years back.

I know I can get cables, drivers and shells in aliexpress, but is there anything else I need to get started?

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #775 of 4,718
I broke the cable of my beloved mx 980 :frowning2:. Not sure how it happened, I was just storing them in a case like I have done for hundreds of times in the past.
Is it possible to repair it or maybe I should re-cable them with a more durable cable? Is there anyone that can do it in US for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

IMAG2193.jpg

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #776 of 4,718
I broke the cable of my beloved mx 980 :frowning2:. Not sure how it happened, I was just storing them in a case like I have done for hundreds of times in the past.
Is it possible to repair it or maybe I should re-cable them with a more durable cable? Is there anyone that can do it in US for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

This is not your fault - this is a common problem with all mx980,985

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #777 of 4,718
This is not your fault - this is a common problem with all mx980,985

Thanks Golov17,
is there anything that I could attempt to repair it, maybe as a DIYer (I have a basic soldering skill)?

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #779 of 4,718
yes, it is possible. once I did it in the past

Great, this gives me some hope!
I removed the rubber ring from the mx 980 earbuds but I could not find a way to open them. Can you please tell me how you opened them?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back