DIY Earbuds
Oct 16, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #736 of 4,707
Hehe. Its not very pretty. But it works great! This wire has a surprisingly bright tone for pure copper.

edit: The reason it is so bright despite being clear? almost a..... silver cable tone with bass?! the cable has a resistance of under 1.5 ohms!!!! I've never worked with headphone wire this low resistance. This will be very interesting.

may i ask for the link where you bought this :)

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #738 of 4,707
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #739 of 4,707
Thanks for the info. I read what I thought was quite a bit, but didn't actually get to any complete builds. Almost all links I did find led to "Product not found" or Out of Stock.

I will go back through and look, thank you!
There's a diy earbud thread, but i haven't seen any complete guides.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #740 of 4,707
Before I start butchering my Monk Lite (or Qian 39 shell), what's the best way to open it up for recable? Does the driver come off like it does with PK or MX500 shells after applying some heat?

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #741 of 4,707
Yesterday, I received my Monk Lite Special Mod by Cross Lambda Audio with his newly SPC starlight project cable together with CL's DIY parts . WooHoo~

1) Monk Lite Special Mod~
Monk Lite SPC Starlight 01.png

Monk Lite SPC Starlight 02.png

2) Monk+ Junkhosha (with re-soldering wire tuning) vs Monk Lite Special Mod
Monk Lite SPC Starlight 03.png

3) CL's Pure Copper Spiltter, Pure Copper Plug and Pure Copper Barrel / 2.5 mm OC Studio Plugs~
CL DIY Plug and Splitter 01.png

4) Under Developing PHRAKAR Splitter Prototype. The final version will be more refined. Actually, I'd almost placed an order for my specific custom laser engraving, though I stil can't design a proper logo for my own sake in time. Maybe next time of production~
PHRAKAR Splitter.png

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #742 of 4,707
Hi everybody!
Glad to enter this very interesting thread :)

Did someone tried to open RY4S (or GM500) EMX500 shells style yet?
I tried tonight and that's probably (with EMX500S from Fengru) one of my most EMX500 shells hard to open till date.
Seems like they are glued like hell..
I tried with mom hair dryer for a minute on the shells directly before trying.
There is now some scratchs around plastic drivers, but still not opened.
I begin to be worried, as I didn't wanted to scratch anything, and get clean earbuds, but look like we can't get those recabling without damaging.
Willsound MK2 was extremely easy to open for exemple.

Any recommendation is welcomed :)

Also, do we really need to put glue after soldering internal plugs ? I'm planning to not doing so, not sure if it's risky?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #746 of 4,707
Hey guys -

Interested in repairing / buildling a couple of pairs of earbuds but am looking for online retailers to source materials: drivers, cables, connectors: can anyone recommend a good website for the US?

TIA for your time.

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #748 of 4,707
Hey! Do you guys use some wire stripping tool to remove the cables insulation for tiny wires?

I got a cable wired out of phase and I'd like to replace the connector and solder it properly. However, the wires are so tiny which makes difficult to remove the insulation using a utility knife, also it's a nightmare when I damage a wire and need to remake it again to get the alignment. So if there's a tool or a tip to do a good job I'd appreciate any kind of help!

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #749 of 4,707
What size drill do you need to open up the chamber on MX500 shells?

If you're talking about the air channel that parallels the wire channel - well, it's curved, and oval, so you can't actually run a straight drill bit down the length of it.
What I've done, is to take a 3.0mm - 3.5mm drill bit (which fits in the vertical opening), and angle it into the earbud back chamber, pressed down below the wire channel, and spin it with my fingers - to open the end of the air channel.
Then I take a "dental pick", and clean up the opening area of both channels.
In this photo, the upper hole you see, is the wire channel, and it is pretty much straight and round.
The air channel is below it, just above the gray area where the drill bit "chewed up" the plastic some.
IMG_20181214_214731.jpg

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #750 of 4,707
Hey guys,
How do you solder copper wires ?
I recently bought "WBT-0800 Silver Solder" but it works well only for silver (logic..) but not copper.
When I try: copper does not attach from solder to copper wires, the ball just "slides" :frowning2:
Do I need to buy some cu0.7 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back