1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DIY Earbuds

First

Back
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
Next

Last
  1. golov17
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. seanc6441
    @golov17 how do you casually just remove the covers without damaging the drivers?

I find most drivers are pushed in so tight that you need to brake away the plastic cover to safely get the driver out.

Was it easier on the mx985?

3. Merlin-PT
    I need to replace my toneking tomahawk cable, because it's very stiff after long time use.

I managed to open them today, I used an opening tool to pry a bit and then the old thumb nail lever technique.

tomahawk.jpg

seanc6441 likes this.
  4. seanc6441
    You should try them in mx500 shells since you got them open. They use mx500 covers and it seems the foam 'horse shoe' filter is the same kind used in most mx500 shells.

In my tests from putting buds in mx500 shells and metal semi closed shells, It's possible the tomahawks sound sig would balance out really well in mx500 housings.

Obviously it's your choice, if you want to experiment a bit :)

I wish my tomahawks were still working as I'd love to experiment with them, the sound was quite unique. But that upper mid-treble definately needed a slight smoothing!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Merlin-PT likes this.
  5. Merlin-PT
    I use them in the computer for gaming and voice calls, mine are also very good for music, I don't detect any issue, I think there maybe quality issues or different batches in some earbuds, because I also read different opinions about them.
    I know 2 people that also bought them, one loves the sound the other says it's very bad sounding, I only heard mine and they are very detailed and sound very good so I want to keep them this way. :)

Maybe the difference between opinions is due to the huge amount of glue they use inside that can run to everywhere.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. seanc6441
    I liked them too, although I'd say they pair well with warm sources because they are bright.

I haven't heard them but it's a little like the penon bs1 I'd imagine in that it's nit neutral but coloured in a way that works very well for some music but others will dislike them.

7. Merlin-PT
    Yes they are bright, but for me it translates in detail and musical, not at all piercing, but maybe they are not for bass people.

8. spikyfugu
    Looking to build some diy earbuds after reading this thread. I am so confused about which driver and which grill to use. I mostly listen to jazz and classical but with some solid mid-bass and good detail on musical instruments. Been reading about mx500 and they seemed to be geared toward bass-heads. I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions where to start?

I have read somewhere maybe the best option is to buy a couple pairs of VE Monk and rip out the drivers and put it in a shell of choice and replace the cable.

What do you guys think?

9. golov17
    the driver itself is glued to the case tightly, so that the cover is first unstuck

seanc6441 likes this.
  10. seanc6441
    I'll reply in detail later, but shell type does not equate to the sound sig generally. The driver and tuning and shell together is important. I can suggest some later for ya!

11. subwoof3r
    Some DIY crazyness of the night... :)

new_mod.jpg

A friend at work decided to throw away some very old earbuds, lucky me I was here before he throws them in the trash! haha
    I have no idea of what shell it could be.. any ideas ?
    Once at home, I immediately dismantled them and only kept the shells which I found to look a bit oldschool but very sexy (I like this), and what a surprise!, they sound very good with EMX500 drivers on them. Nice sound :) (mids looks a bit forwarded on these shells)

Also, as a bonus picture, here is an overview of what will be my next mod :

HTC_Shells.jpg

The good things with these 2 shells is that they both fit perfectly EMX500 drivers, but just need some glue to fix them properly. I'll do that later once I will settle the right final sound for my tastes.
    'laters :)

rahmish and HungryPanda like this.
  12. HungryPanda
    I like those shells emx500 drivers would make them alive

subwoof3r likes this.
  13. seanc6441
    I know I'm digging up a post from the past here but could I ask which neutrik connectors did you use? I'm looking to make something exactly like this except using a 2-3cm cable instead. It will be the ideal solution for my LG v30.

14. DBaldock9
    Did you want to assemble a 3-Pole (L+/R+/GND) cable, or a 4-Pole (L+/R+/GND/Mic) cable, to use with your LG V30?

The right-angle 3-Pole Neutrik plugs I ordered, were P/N: NTP3RC-B, from Zack Electronics, in California, since they had the best price.
    https://www.zackelectronics.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=NTP3RC

Neutrik doesn't sell a 4-Pole version, but there is a 4-Pole plug available from Amazon. (Note: It doesn't have the same construction quality as the Neutrik.)
    https://smile.amazon.com/KK-AS3b-4P-Streight-Connector-Straight/dp/B01LXALOHN

The 3-Pole Neutrik jacks I ordered, were P/N: AG NYS240BG, from Zack Electronics.
    https://www.zackelectronics.com/neu...gold-w-solder-terminals-max-cable-od-4mm.html

Neutrik doesn't sell a 4-Pole version, but there is a 4-Pole jack available on eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Headp...ale-Jack-Socket-Connector-Solder/202434778478

Hope this helps!

seanc6441 likes this.
  15. DBaldock9
    These drivers, mounted in either MX500 or MX760 shells, will provide really good quality Midrange & Treble.
    I have them in MX760 shells, and their Bass is tight & detailed, but doesn't go as low as some of the other drivers I've tried.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/15-...band-equalization-1pair-2pcs/32800609693.html

Merlin-PT likes this.
First

Back
43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
Next

Last