DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 20, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #2,101 of 10,535
Yo, anyone know where to get decent wire for DiY jobs in Hong Kong? I already know where to get the jacks but the wire has stumped me so far.

What wire are you looking for? I've seen Mogami and Belden for sale in Ap Liu Street, Sham Shui Po...
I've also made some interconnects myself with silver core wire from DIY Hifi supply (Fotan)...
There are a couple of DIY shops online in HK as well.
If looking for IEM earphone wire look for more flexible stranded cable rather than solid core... PM me if you like more local info...

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #2,102 of 10,535
So ,I was hoping to get this IRIS female port and Oyaide3.5" as tightly together as possible like a one-piece adapter.

Is there any material/hard tubing etc anyone can suggest to mate them together before shrink over the top ?
I think even 3 layers of shrink would not keep the adapter rigid over time so there needs to be some kind of tubing frame etc ?

I guess the way to do the cabilng job is to push excess cabling inside the Oyaide after soldering.Cabling needed a bit longer to move the barrel back to get access to the solder points on the Oyaide or do the Oyaide first and Iris second ?

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #2,103 of 10,535
  So ,I was hoping to get this IRIS female port and Oyaide3.5" as tightly together as possible like a one-piece adapter.

Is there any material/hard tubing etc anyone can suggest to mate them together before shrink over the top ?
I think even 3 layers of shrink would not keep the adapter rigid over time so there needs to be some kind of tubing frame etc ?

I guess the way to do the cabilng job is to push excess cabling inside the Oyaide after soldering.Cabling needed a bit longer to move the barrel back to get access to the solder points on the Oyaide or do the Oyaide first and Iris second ?

No idea what an Iris port is but @Komkrit did it with a Kobiconn to Oyaide 3.5mm :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661897/mini-balanced-to-3-5mm-adapter-in-my-way/45#post_9601090

The Iris pins seem to be more separated so you probably can't shave off the perimeter off the Iris as much s Komkrit did with the Kobiconn. Still though maybe it'll give you some ideas?

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #2,104 of 10,535
Thanks, yes Kobiconn IRIS RSA/ALO type female port !

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #2,105 of 10,535
My project is attaching a boom mic to my AudioTechnica AD700s (cannibalized mic from an old broken headset). I want the wire to go into the ear cup and then attach to a TRRS female connector along with the headphone drivers, and then have a single cable run to my computer where I will buy/make (whichever is cheaper) an adapter to split the single TRRS into 2 standard TRS connectors. I will also make/buy a shorter cable for if I ever want to use them with my phone or laptop on the go.

Am I going to have any problems with this plan? I CAN indeed use the same ground for both the headphones and mic, right?

I WAS going to ask where I could find one of these: http://www.showmecables.com/product/35mm-trrs-jack-panel-mount-connector-metal.aspx?link=YMAL But I randomly happened to see it in the related products for http://www.showmecables.com/product/3-5mm-Jack-TRRS-Connector-Plastic.aspx, even though it didn't show up in the my search before.
Still, does anyone know if there are there any cheaper? Especially on Amazon where I have credit. I don't know if I'm just searching the wrong terms or if they are really that rare.  

For cables: I have like 1000ft of speaker wire, can I just sleeve it with Paracord and use it? Or should I just buy a pre-made cable?

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,106 of 10,535
Hi guys,
I was wondering if I can get some input in a custom cable for gaming I'm trying to make. http://i.imgur.com/50KRexO.png
I was just wondering what sort of connectors I need to use for the mic section? Am I right to assume that I can use a normal 3.5mm female plug and 6.35mm male jack for the headphone section?
What kind of cable should I be using?

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,107 of 10,535
Hi guys,
I was wondering if I can get some input in a custom cable for gaming I'm trying to make. http://i.imgur.com/50KRexO.png
I was just wondering what sort of connectors I need to use for the mic section? Am I right to assume that I can use a normal 3.5mm female plug and 6.35mm male jack for the headphone section?

You want the modmic cable and headphone cable to be together in one binding? Normal jacks, sure. Whatever your card takes. Canare star-quad or Mogami quad in the smaller sizes is the standard around here.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #2,108 of 10,535
  Hi guys,

Here's my 'custom cable' for gaming.

Q701 + ModMic 3.0 --> mic+audio---TRRS adapter ----> MixAmp Pro, that's my setup. It won't be like this forever, but it works for now.

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #2,109 of 10,535
I just ordered the stuff for my mod

http://i.imgur.com/UqVLklw.png
(heatshrink is just because it's cheap and idk what I'll need)

I will attach mic to my headphone grill (ATH-AD700) and have the wire running down to the hole where the cable currently comes out of, which I will replace with the TRRS panel mount. Then I will make a cable: 1 male TRRS on 1 end, and 2 male TRS on the other end for mic+headphones (I realized this is cheaper than making/buying a cable+adapter; 3 connectors instead of 5) I believe if I make it correctly I can just use one of my plentiful TRS cables for audio only if I want to take them on the go.

I still want someone to confirm -
I can use the same ground wire for the mic and the headphones? 
16 or 18 awg speaker wire for the cable wont be a problem, other than possibly uncomfortability due to weight?

I made a "prototype" version with my brother's headphones (thrashed to hell and back JVC RX700), just using plain speaker wire all the way to the connector which I got from a broken pair of ear buds. If anyone is wondering, the mic is from a broken Plantronics headset (garbage headphones anyways, but good mic) It was really simple to attach, I just took apart the headset and threw away everything except the mic and the screw that attached it, then made a hole in the plate of the headphones for the screw and another for the wires (I used my soldering iron, but I would recommend a drill 
redface.gif
 ). Then I soldered the mic wires to the speaker wire, made another hole for the wires to come out of, tied a knot on the inside to keep it secure, and soldered the other end to the headphone connector. I should have taken a pic of the inside, but its too much work to open them up now. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #2,111 of 10,535
Using speaker wire will increase capacitance. Here comes the same bad example again: Imagine hooking up a fireman's hose to a regular home spigot. Sure, with the right attachment it'll hook up and water will flow, but the water will only trickle out instead of a sold flow.
The end result is a degradation of your audio signal.
I couldn't say how much or if you'd even notice. If it is your only option, then go for it. Otherwise, pick up some cheap Canare L-4E5C off eBay.

Looks like you had some fun Frankensteining those JVCs.

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,113 of 10,535
Does any have any tips or tricks to feeding 26 awg wire through Micro Paracord (Type 1). It's taking me like an hour to do a foot at a time.

Idk of it's the same as 550 paracord, I shrinktape the wire to one of the inner nylon strands nearly tip to tip, them pull all of that through. It takes about 5 minutes per. Hand feeding stinks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back