DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #10,532 of 10,535
I'm looking to get a hold of, preferably, 2.5mm TS connectors for a cable for my E-Mu Teaks. I've tried a couple off of AliExpress, but they all felt real loose in the jacks and had problems with intermittent connections. So, I'd like to branch out from the no-name manufacturers on AE and find something made by a reputable manufacturer. Problem is, 2.5mm TS seems to be pretty different to find. 2.5mm TRS could work in a pinch, but I'd prefer TS, and ideally they would have full-size soldering lugs. I don't mind a big, bulky connector.

Does anybody know where I can get a hold of some decent ones? Thanks!

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #10,533 of 10,535
I'm looking to get a hold of, preferably, 2.5mm TS connectors for a cable for my E-Mu Teaks. I've tried a couple off of AliExpress, but they all felt real loose in the jacks and had problems with intermittent connections. So, I'd like to branch out from the no-name manufacturers on AE and find something made by a reputable manufacturer. Problem is, 2.5mm TS seems to be pretty different to find. 2.5mm TRS could work in a pinch, but I'd prefer TS, and ideally they would have full-size soldering lugs. I don't mind a big, bulky connector.

Does anybody know where I can get a hold of some decent ones? Thanks!
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/eidolic-2-5mm-jacks

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #10,534 of 10,535
Hi guys, cable noob here.

I wanted a balanced cable for a pair of Hifiman Sundara, with a 4.4mm TRRRS (5 poles) to 2x3.5mm TRS (or TS, doesn't matter for the Sundara apparently).
Got on on AliExpress: nice looking but my amp (Fiio K7) was going into error and yeah, checking the cable the 1st and 3nd ring of the 4.4mm (normally L- and R-) were short-circuited :scream: ... refund in progress.

So next is a DIY attempt. I need 2.0-2.5m overall. I may throw in some sleeving: Viablue stuff likely (small, 2-6mm), less hassle than paracord (and probably cheaper for a single build) and I'm debating if adding a mini-XLR male-female before the last few cm and the 4.4mm (so that I can swap the termination for something else, if needed). Will get some Neutrik / Rean jacks (or similar, nothing too fancy).

One thing I can't decide on is between these options:
  1. 4-cores cable soldered into 2x 2-cores cables at the y-splitter, example Mogami 2893/2534 soldered into 2944/2552 (or something equivalent from Canare).
  2. Just use 2x 2-cores cables all the way, sleeving them together (twisted) before the y-splitter and individually after. Here I may want something not too thick, like Mogami 2944.
  3. Just use 4-cores cable all the way, but remove the shielding after the y-splitter and sleeve the 2 conductors together (on each side).
Solution 2 seems the easiest (no soldering at the y-splitter), but simplicity aside, what would be better ? Or anything will do anyway ?

Also, if I go for option 2, when I twist the 2x 2-cores together, do I need to do something to ensure they won't untwist ? Or they will just stay twisted ?

Any advice welcome !

Feb 11, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #10,535 of 10,535
One thing I can't decide on is between these options:
  1. 4-cores cable soldered into 2x 2-cores cables at the y-splitter, example Mogami 2893/2534 soldered into 2944/2552 (or something equivalent from Canare).
  2. Just use 2x 2-cores cables all the way, sleeving them together (twisted) before the y-splitter and individually after. Here I may want something not too thick, like Mogami 2944.
  3. Just use 4-cores cable all the way, but remove the shielding after the y-splitter and sleeve the 2 conductors together (on each side).
Personally I'll choose option 2.
Option 1: some people think it is bad to have more solder point (similar to the adapter)
Option 3: less choice for the cable also required more work than option 2.

You can also buy single core cable and twist/braid them together.
Laziest way to do this (in my opinion) will be twist 2 cables then sleeve them, and use it as single 2-core cable for option 2.

Also, if I go for option 2, when I twist the 2x 2-cores together, do I need to do something to ensure they won't untwist ? Or they will just stay twisted ?
I think they will stay twisted if you twisted them properly but may be uneven (some part become more tight and some become loose) depend how you use/stored it.
My English is not good so may not be able to explain clearly.. :slight_frown:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back