Differences between Denons (D2000, D5000, D7000)
Mar 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #16 of 99
I have the D5000's with Jmoney pads (fabric ripped out) and they're my favorite closed cans ever. Haven't heard the D2000's or D7000's. I'd have been tempted to try the D7000's when you could get them for $700 but now they are astronomical. Moon Audio did a deconstruction of the D7000's and found them quite similar to the D5000's except for the packaging and glossy finish. Some have said they prefer the D5000's because the bass is more fun.

As far as recessed mids & lack of detail RIP THAT DARN FABRIC OFF THE DRIVERS It's practically as thick as flannel. They already have a metal shield, you don't need it. 

A 10% stronger magnet, glossy finish with inlaid logo (both expensive to produce - for glossy you need a dust-free environment and metal introduces another factory in the supply chain), and MUCH fancier packaging are what separates the D5000 from the D7000. I'd rather wait for the D9000. My guess is the real quality differentiator for Denon is those large drivers, the unique material, and the generous housings. Amazing. I also have a lot of Ultrasones, which are the best closed cans if you want to be POUNDED. These Denon drivers are like being strangled with silk and loving every minute of it. And wood just makes everything sound better no matter what the line. It's a natural material, related to us genetically.

The weak point might actually be Denon's attention to comfort - the stock pads are like butter, but squish too easily and put the drivers too close to your ear to get a proper soundstage.

You're doing great with any of them is my guess. If you have money to burn get the 7000's, but if you go for the 5000's for now because the 7000's seem to be in a bit of a price bubble, I bet you're not missing much.

Bottom line is, closed cans SHOULD be FUN cans, as they are always a compromise to open cans if you're after supreme accuracy and detail. 

May 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 99
Quote:
My pair of D2000 from Electronics Expo will arrive next week.

If someone is willing to let me listen to them a day, I'd ship them out the next day.  I'm guessing International Express Mail (3-5 days) would be $50 plus fees. So something like $225 (I had to pay taxes in my state), $50 for shipping, and then like $10 for paypal fees; insurance would be a couple more bucks. I'd get an exact quote for shipping when I could weigh them; probably a little less.

But I always list items value when feeling out customs paperwork, so if you're ok with that, send me a pm.

I'm not opposed to ordering a D5000 for someone. I'm guessing your cost to door (depending on whether your country has customs fees) would be around $530; the D5000 is $413 + taxes + shipping + insurance + paypal fees. (I'd really appreciate if I could listen for a couple hours but wouldn't demand it :)

My daughter's D2000's arrived today. First impression is they sound virtually the same as my 7000's. I doubt if I could reliably tell the difference between them in a blind test.

May 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #18 of 99
Quote:
My daughter's D2000's arrived today. First impression is they sound virtually the same as my 7000's. I doubt if I could reliably tell the difference between them in a blind test.

What kind of sources are you using (specifically DACs)

May 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #19 of 99
Quote:
Speaking of the D7000s, has there ever been a deal as good as this before for a $1,000+ top-tier full-sized headphone? I am kind of kicking myself in the butt for missing out on the $555 shipped new D7000 deal from EE...

People seem to think the D5k-D7k jump is marginal at best; even some have stated that the D2k is not too different sounding than the D7k.. But if you still want a Denon, check out the link below↓
Quote:
Are there any deals on Denons?
dt880smile.png

D5k is back in stock at EE, and their GRANDSLAM code still works; making it $388 shipped.
I'm seriously contemplating in buying them.. Even though I just bought the D2k's, I all of a sudden feel a need to invest in wooden cups
blink.gif

May 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 99
Quote:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch > Carver Receiver > D7000

umm....I hope the source is not some low-quality streaming music....

May 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #24 of 99
Quote:
Quote:
People seem to think the D5k-D7k jump is marginal at best; even some have stated that the D2k is not too different sounding than the D7k.. But if you still want a Denon, check out the link below↓
Quote:
D5k is back in stock at EE, and their GRANDSLAM code still works; making it $388 shipped.
I'm seriously contemplating in buying them.. Even though I just bought the D2k's, I all of a sudden feel a need to invest in wooden cups
blink.gif

The D2000 and D5000 share the same driver. The sound isn't to different from one to the other.

The D7000 on the other hand uses a different driver and has, to my ears anyway, a better sound quality. D7000 have better driver material and better wire than D5000/2000. In this case, you pay for what you get. I have all three and if pushed, would only consider selling the D5000. The D2000 and D7000 are really different beasts, granted I would call them cousins. The D2000 and D5000 are more like brothers. 

May 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #25 of 99
Quote:
The D2000 and D5000 share the same driver. The sound isn't to different from one to the other.

The D7000 on the other hand uses a different driver and has, to my ears anyway, a better sound quality. D7000 have better driver material and better wire than D5000/2000. In this case, you pay for what you get. I have all three and if pushed, would only consider selling the D5000. The D2000 and D7000 are really different beasts, granted I would call them cousins. The D2000 and D5000 are more like brothers. 

Ahh, thats a joy to learn..
You just saved me $388
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #28 of 99
silver cabled and markl modded D2000 probably sound as good as d7000.

The cable won't do a thing for you, but the new/larger cups and damping will.

May 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #29 of 99
Quote:
Question about that, I usually stream off of Google Music - how bad is their quality?

I uninstalled it when I realized most of their stuff was 96kbps. Then again, this was when they first launched so it might have improved since then. Pandora only streams at 128kbps.

May 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #30 of 99
i think google streams at 320kbs.... could be wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back