Differences between Denons (D2000, D5000, D7000)
Mar 5, 2011 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
What are the differences between these headphones? Besides the price of course.

And is the D7000 discontinued? Hard to find them in any shops. D5000 seems to be everywhere.

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 99
There are numerous threads and posts concerning the differences between these headphones.
I would search the forum.

But I will give you a summary of the general consensus:

D2000 and D5000 are very similar, some argue these phones are indentical apart from D5000s wooden cups.
D7000 are superior and considered to be the true upgrade from the D2000...and D5000 as-well of course

Soundwise the headphones are similar, they have a similar tonal balance where the D7000 are the more refined phones, with better soundstage and better controlled bass.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 99
I'll throw my hat into this thread, since head-fi is so impossible to search these days and the community doesn't discuss things so much anymore, so finding current opinions is tough...

I'm pretty sure my main rig of NAD C542, Corda HA-mkII SE can power any of this lineup to sound nice. My conundrum comes in with this: sometimes I might want my macbook and total bithead to drive them. I'm trying to find the best of these three to be powered and enjoyable on both setups. Of course it is a given that it'll sound markedly better on the main rig.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 99
wrong answer, I didn't read the post I responded to properly, my apologies.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 99
Mar 15, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 99

What's better? Making the same frakking thread asking the same frakking question? And can I point out that if no one replied then the thread would sink, and threads are impossible to search nowadays and once they sink that's it? Thanks to the new forum software that totally encourages the usage of this forum as more of a resource and less of a community? Do go away if you have nothing better to contribute.

Backseat Moderating: Not Cool.

Quote:
Thread hijacking....not cool.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 99

I read Headroom's summary, but when it comes to powering a headphone, they always give the same basic replies. What they say is totally common sense and understandable of course, but I was just looking for real world opinions, as one does on a forum.

Thanks for the avguide links. Since the reception in here is otherwise chilly, I'll go figure it out on my own.
Quote:
Headroom has some very informative descriptions on their website on each of the Denon headphones you asked about.  Also here a couple links to articles that take in-depth look at the D5000 and D7000.-

http://www.avguide.com/review/playback-22-denon-ah-d5000-headphones

http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-listen-denon-ah-d7000-headphones

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 99
I'm not sure why you say it's impossible to search threads, as I don't seem to have any problems.  But to "Contribute":  All of these phones are 25ohm (meaning they will be "seen" by your electronics as more-or-less the same headphone), so it's a matter of picking the model that best suits your price point.

Quote:
What's better? Making the same frakking thread asking the same frakking question? And can I point out that if no one replied then the thread would sink, and threads are impossible to search nowadays and once they sink that's it? Thanks to the new forum software that totally encourages the usage of this forum as more of a resource and less of a community? Do go away if you have nothing better to contribute.

Backseat Moderating: Not Cool.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 99
I got the D2000 today, listened to them, decided I am selling them. The bass is way to much, tight, but to much, the mids sound recessed, and I don't think they are as detailed as everyone is saying. And then the fit, it's way to loose, everytime I move my head I have to adjust the headphone because they moved. Honestly I think the hd600 and the k701 are better and more balanced, (The selfadjusting headband on the k701 is horrible though, main reason I got rid of it). If your looking for something with big but tight bass and a high quality sound these are the way to go.

Even though I don't really believe in burn in, my pair was already burned in by the previous owner.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 99
They are all pretty much the same with a few subtle differences. Each model improves upon the previous by a little. The D7000 in short has better soundstage, mids are more pronounced and bass is better controlled.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 99
Some more info:

The three are very similar, and as mentioned before, each step up the chain represents incremental improvements.

The D2000 and D5000 share the same drivers, frame, and cable.  The only difference here is between the plastic cups the D2000 has and the mahogany cups of the D5000.  Sonically, while I've never heard the D5000, I have read opinions that say the two are not very different.

The D7000 is somewhat different from the others.  Changing from the D5000 to the D7000 probably offers more improvements than changing from the D2000 to the D5000.  The D7000 features an improved driver unit with a 10% stronger magnet as compared to the D2000/D5000.  Also, as a result of the stronger magnet, the D7000 is a couple dB more sensitive than the D2000/D5000.  The frame on the D7000 is made from magnesium -- I'm not sure about this, but I think the D2000/D5000 don't have magnesium frame parts.  The D7000 has improved mahogany cups as compared to the D5000 -- the cups get a high-gloss finish, and the "DENON" logo is actually a nickel inlay in the wood (as compared to the D5000, where the "DENON" logo can wear off over time).  Also, the D7000 has an improved cable as compared to the D2000/D5000.

I have heard both the D2000 and the D7000, and I can say that the D7000 is significantly better.  The D7000 offers more detail, is more refined, has a little bit less treble emphasis, and somewhat tighter bass.

As far as power requirements to drive the headphones, they are relatively efficient and have a low impedance of 25 ohms, so just about any source should be able to drive them to adequate volumes (i.e. they get loud enough straight out of a portable DAP like an iPod).  However, I noticed a marked improvement in bass quality and tightness when the headphones are powered with an external amp -- they sound particularly good out of my Schiit Asgard, but even my Yamaha RX-497 stereo receiver delivers plenty of power.  So overall, you can get by using them with a portable DAP, but having an amp will definitely improve SQ.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 99

Quote:
The D2000 and D5000 share the same drivers, frame, and cable.

According to Lawton Audio, the D5000 and D7000 share the same cable (albeit with different sheathing).

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page15.html

In a nutshell:  D2000 to D5000 gives you wood cups and upgraded cable.  D5000 to D7000 gets you upgraded drivers and a glossy finish on the cups.  Oh, and a nice wood box.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 99

Quote:
According to Lawton Audio, the D5000 and D7000 share the same cable (albeit with different sheathing).

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page15.html

In a nutshell:  D2000 to D5000 gives you wood cups and upgraded cable.  D5000 to D7000 gets you upgraded drivers and a glossy finish on the cups.  Oh, and a nice wood box.

My bad -- I knew two of them shared essentially the same cable (D5000 and D7000, instead of D2000 and D5000 like I said earlier).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back