Denon D5000 or JVC HP-DX1000 ?
Jan 9, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #17 of 99
Personally I have tried JVC with different amps and some combos sounded very bad, like my Aspen, but RSA Stealth was very good.
But to give you an impression, GS1000 sound great with Aspen, while Stealth like cheap trash. So, synergy must be the key, isnt.

Jan 9, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #18 of 99
One thing that must be pointed out is how these JVCs are constantly been talked about here or compared to with other phones. This in itself is high praise for a set of phones. I think people who state an opinion regarding the DX1000 must firstly state their preference in music and secondly their gear. As has been pointed out, having the right setup helps tremendously in the end. The Denons from what I read are excellent for Rock music, so if you only listen to Rock its not in the forums interest for you to put down the JVCs. The Dx1000 are mated very well with the Headroom Amps and Dacs and for Classical and Laid back music amongst others.

I think Markl description above is very accurate about what is important to each person.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 99
Yup, JVC and JAZZ goes very good together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing that must be pointed out is how these JVCs are constantly been talked about here or compared to with other phones. This in itself is high praise for a set of phones. I think people who state an opinion regarding the DX1000 must firstly state their preference in music and secondly their gear. As has been pointed out, having the right setup helps tremendously in the end. The Denons from what I read are excellent for Rock music, so if you only listen to Rock its not in the forums interest for you to put down the JVCs. The Dx1000 are mated very well with the Headroom Amps and Dacs and for Classical and Laid back music amongst others.

I think Markl description above is very accurate about what is important to each person.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind the lettering on the D5000 rubs off easily. The JVC seems to keep it's markings.

good to know your money is well invested in better paint on your headphones.
tongue.gif

Denon can seem to be a odd company, but I think they spend their resources on more important matter, like high quality drivers, not to mention what seem to be one of the most comfortable pair of phones out there (I don't have too many to compare to myself, I gather this from the many posts here).

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #22 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind the lettering on the D5000 rubs off easily. The JVC seems to keep it's markings.

Now that's certainly a reason to not buy the Denons!
rolleyes.gif

I'm sure the gold paint really adds that extra sizzle to the sound.

I have had no problem with the lettering rubbing off. Again, if you read the instruction diagrams that come with the Denons, they clearly tell you to adjust the height of the earcups from the SWIVEL ARM and not by the earcups themselves. So if you don't rub against the earcups, you aren't going to have any problems. But just to test the waters I rubbed my fingers a few times against the ink and it did not come off. I can see that it would if you intentionally tried to, but if follow the instructions you aren't going to have this problem. Denon could have solved this problem by covering the rubber based ink with a clearcoat, but that would detract from the beautiful finish of the Mahogany.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 99
i'm a bit confused as to why whenever someone asks for a comparison between 2 headphones, people always compare JUST the tonal balance. what about the other stuff? dynamic range, frequency extension, ability of the driver to produce PRAT, and powerful bass etc. i mean some of us do have EQ's and can change the tonal balance. but what i'd be really interested in is the capability of the headphone.

keeping that in mind, now which of the 2 cans do u prefer? if tonal balance isn't too big of a problem. with headphones this expensive any problems in their tonality is very easily adjusted through eq since they won't have any huge faults with their balance.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #24 of 99
I kept my Denon D2000s and sold the JVCs. On certain songs the JVCs sounded as good as anything possibly could, but on others they honked like a goose. I ended up going for the comfort and evenly distributed frequency response of the Denons.

I also posted a comparison of the D2000, DX1000, and Edition 9 a while back, if you care to read it.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #25 of 99
Quote:

tonality is very easily adjusted

No, it's not something an EQ can fix (too much treble, too little bass, etc.). The JVCs have a synthetic sound/flavoring/twinge that won't be fixed by EQ-ing. The ear cups also create an echo-y hollow, tubby sound that again an EQ won't fix.

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #26 of 99
good description markl. i know what you're saying because i recently tried a pair of headphones that made everything sound boxy, as if everything was being played by a small radio speaker in a small metal box. the sound could not be fixed with an eq no matter what i did. although the effect was different than the JVC's obviously, it was an inherent part of the headphone sound that was reproduced with all music and couldn't be remedied by any frequency adjustments.

so maybe my argument doesn't apply to this comparison so much, but still does apply to a lot of other cans that people compare/review. (hd650, dt990, etc)

also, i'm a bit curious, do the aforementioned qualities of the JVC's also appear in the Denons? do the denons have their own unique qualities in sound that just can't be changed? i imagine it has something to do with the wood (like how the material of a speaker enclosure changes the sound of the speaker ie. wooden or metal or plastic enclosures)
correct me if i'm wrong, i haven't had a chance to audition either of these phones.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #27 of 99
The Denons have no "quirks" in their sound -- they are as close to live music as any cans I know of -- no weirdness at all, anywhere.

I have many other cans that tend to give a little emphasis in one area or another -- but for a "first-listen" of all new CD's I buy, I use the D2000 to be sure I hear the music as it was meant to be -- the Denon is a "safe" can -- you can be sure it will not discolor any frequency, and/or tell you any lies, about the music.
If it's on the CD, you will hear it -- no more, no less.
These cans do NOT need EQ anywhere -- unless possibly the music *itself* *is deficient, and you want to artifially boost some frequency to suit your tastes.
If the music is good, it will sound good -- if the music or source is not-so-great, you will hear not-so-great sound -- just what a can is supposed to do! It gives you what is there -- no more, no less.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #29 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that's certainly a reason to not buy the Denons!
rolleyes.gif

I could not disagree with you more. Just because you love the Denons doesn't mean you can defend them to the end. The paint coming off is an indicator of overall quality. Do you remember people having a certain screw come loose and as a result one of the cups falling off? This was not on the JVC but on the Denon. We shall see how long the Denons survive in the end. I have the JVCs and would prefer they were more neutral but they also do some fantastic things to the music which in the end I find myself reaching for these cans. If they stated to fall apart you can be reassured I would sell them quick smart.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #30 of 99
I own the JVC DX1000.

I haven't heard the D5000, however I've heard the D2000, which everyone seem to think are fairly similar to the D5000.

I found the D2000 to be a very nice headphone, quite a lot of bass, more mid bass than the DX1000, however the DX1000 sound like they have slightly less mid bass, but instead deeper bass.

The soundstage of the D2000 was basically non-existant. All the sound was crammed into my head. In comparison the JVC DX1000 has a very large soundstage.

Since I prefer a large soundstage the choice was pretty simple for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back