Denon D5000 or JVC HP-DX1000 ?
Jan 8, 2008 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

waddragon

Banned
Hi guy, I just want to know whether it is worth buying the JVC HP-DX1000 instead of Denon D5000. I read some reviews which say that the JVC is better than Denon. Is it true?
When you give me your opinion, can you also recommend me a good headphone amp(1000k down) for the one you pick?
Thanks
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #3 of 99
I have a pair of the denons and love them. The only thing between me and the JVC's is around $800. I'd love a pair.
I think Skylab said in one of his reviews that he prefered the Denons but don't hold me on that one. Check out Skylabs post where directly compares the two headphones.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Skylab said in one of his reviews that he prefered the Denons but don't hold me on that one....

He has changed his mind to the JVCs I believe, since then.
I myself own the Dx1000 and am very happy.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 99
I may not be a very helpful up here, but JVC are the best closed back I have heard so far. Can only recall to CD3k and JVC are way better, imo. Cant say anything about Denons.

Jan 8, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 99
The D5000 is another thing, guys... no story...

(SOLD the JVC)

Why?
Too colored and cavernous sound...

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 99
JVC is a better stock phone than the Denon D5000. If you are willing to mod the Denon to damp the ridiculous bass response, the Denon is significantly superior, IMO.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 99
I first purchased the JVC DX1000 (curious about a closed woodie)- never could really like them (and yes they were amped properly). The midrange just seemed artificial and the treble was tizzy. I kept going back to my HD650's. I sold the JVC's and after time went on (and reading about the D2000/D5000's - went ahead and bought D5000's frtom AudioCubes. To tell the truth, I don't much use my HD650's much anymore (and Senn's have been my can of choice from 580-600-650 progression). The Denon's are something really special - comfortable as hell, I forget they are on, and ultimately, I just listen to the music (forget about can, amps, tubes, yadda yadda)! I will say both the JVC and Denon's "love" tubes IMO. Are the JVC's worth the extra $$ - not for me?
Actually, having heard the D2000's directly next to the D5000's - I might have bought them and saved even more $$. YMMV.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVC is a better stock phone than the Denon D5000. If you are willing to mod the Denon to damp the ridiculous bass response, the Denon is significantly superior, IMO.

If the stock D5000 bass are ridicolous, as you said, what are the bass of the JVC?
frown.gif

I can't believe as you can love the JVC, markl, especially after many years of R10 use...
confused.gif

(I still use my stock D5000/Yamamoto with great result...
eek.gif
)

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 99
I bought both the D2000 and D5000 -- I kept the D2000 and returned the other.
They sounded so very close that I decided the xtra money for the D5000 wasn't worth it (to ME), especially since I have several Darths for my woody "fix". If I had no Darths, I probably would have kept the D5000 -- they sound good and are pretty, too.
Also -- I think the bass on the denons is excellent in every way -- in fact, they have very realisitc (like live) bass presentation. I use them even more than my Darths.
Out of all my cans, if I could only keep just ONE, it would have to be my D2000 -- they are that good. They do everthing "right".

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 99
Quote:

I can't believe as you can love the JVC, markl, especially after many years of R10 use...

If it's all about accurate tone for you, then no, the JVCs are not it. But if you like resolution, soundstaging, and just about perfect level of slam/heft/PRAT/bass (not too much, not too little), then the JVCs are a good buy.

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 99
I have both and must say that the one I CONTINUALLY go back to is the JVC. Once you get beyond the colorations (which are present yet I think are a might overexagerated in this forum), the JVC just seems to present the music in a more real fashion. "An actual performer playing in real space" are my consistent thoughts. The Denon's do sound very nice yet I keep thinking the sound is a bit more artificial and less involving over the long run. I know that calling the JVC a "fun" headphone is taken as a negative to some, but if I am continually drawn into the music, as I am when I listen to the JVC, then I cannot think of a better descriptor.

Jan 8, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree the DX1000 is a much better stock headphone. I have not heard a modded D5000 and cannot comment on it.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 99
I've had the JVC's for a month and I am very disappointed with them. To me they seem way over rated. The Denon D5000's rock and I highly recommend them. They are my top headphone for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back