Denon D5000 or JVC HP-DX1000 ?
Aug 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the JVCs and would prefer they were more neutral but they also do some fantastic things to the music which in the end I find myself reaching for these cans.

Actually this is all about - that no gear do something to the music what wasn't thought by musicians and composer.. Isn't it?

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 99
I've had the DX1000 for a year; the D5000, for about 15 months. I'd repeat now everything I wrote about these phones several months ago in numerous posts.

In a nutshell, I can agree with much that's been said in this thread on both sides. The Denon's are absolutely neutral, a perfectly safe buy for those seeking top-to-bottom neutrality. (Now, as we know, many people are simply unfamiliar with a strong 30 Hz and may not enjoy the experience, but that's a matter of taste.) The Denon's are neutral full-range phones; total keepers. Period.

The DX1000 does something to everything played on it. It adds a little bit of echo and a not insignificant measure of warmth. But, surprisingly, this is so well-done that the result is not an echoy caricature of the material. It's a more airy, more spacious presentation of the material. It throws a huge, much more realistic soundstage. You have a much better chance of having one of those outside-of-head experiences through the DX1000 than through the D5000. These are the phones for those seeking a huge soundstage without giving up the 30 Hz region and timbral accuracy (yes, the echo-y effect is very subtle, very well-calculated).

At first, I preferred the D5000. (My ears have always been calibrated for neutrality.) But, every time I A/B'd these phones, I preferred the DX1000, every time. They grew on me, and my opinion hasn't changed since. If I'm not mistaken, just about the same change happened to Skylab. He's an all-tube guy, I'm an all-SS guy, and we both love full-range phones.

Cheers,

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #33 of 99
I would pick the JVC DX1000 over the Denon D5000 as well in a stock form. The D5000 is too boomy for my liking and not as amooth in the upper registers as the JVC DX1000.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #34 of 99
Maybe you can mod jvc's to negate their downsides..
Markl anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #35 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the DX1000 for a year; the D5000, for about 15 months. I'd repeat now everything I wrote about these phones several months ago in numerous posts.

In a nutshell, I can agree with much that's been said in this thread on both sides. The Denon's are absolutely neutral, a perfectly safe buy for those seeking top-to-bottom neutrality. (Now, as we know, many people are simply unfamiliar with a strong 30 Hz and may not enjoy the experience, but that's a matter of taste.) The Denon's are neutral full-range phones; total keepers. Period.

The DX1000 does something to everything played on it. It adds a little bit of echo and a not insignificant measure of warmth. But, surprisingly, this is so well-done that the result is not an echoy caricature of the material. It's a more airy, more spacious presentation of the material. It throws a huge, much more realistic soundstage. You have a much better chance of having one of those outside-of-head experiences through the DX1000 than through the D5000. These are the phones for those seeking a huge soundstage without giving up the 30 Hz region and timbral accuracy (yes, the echo-y effect is very subtle, very well-calculated).

At first, I preferred the D5000. (My ears have always been calibrated for neutrality.) But, every time I A/B'd these phones, I preferred the DX1000, every time. They grew on me, and my opinion hasn't changed since. If I'm not mistaken, just about the same change happened to Skylab. He's an all-tube guy, I'm an all-SS guy, and we both love full-range phones.

Cheers,

Great post, dead-on, ought to be a sticky on the DX1000 thread. Very efficiently sums up my experience with these phones and, I imagine, that of many other enthusiasts.

best,

o

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #38 of 99
Nice comparison Soundinista.

Aug 5, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #39 of 99
Sorry, but when i write the BUMP word (...waiting for more details and comparisons and to revive this interesting/captivating thread), the thread was abandoned since january 10/2008 and the last post that i see was that of nikolaus, and my post appear rarely as last....
I want to known if this headphone (DX1000) is competent and engaging with faster music as electronica (Jean Michelle Jarre) and super eurobeat (Initial D music (ost, soundtrack, etc) or similar) or it make that this music sound laidback/boring (slow)??
Anybody known, where can be found the DX1000 Frecuency Graph?
It will be very appreciated...
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm...
confused.gif

o

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #41 of 99
I posted this graph somewhere else. We took this measurement using high quality microphone and dummy ear, with pro Apogee interface and software

jvchq2.png

You may want to compare with this other measurement, taken using the same amp and of course cans, but more affordable and amateur hardware (mic, interface, etc)

victorhpdx1000rkb7.jpg

You'll notice the huge different in the bass response. This is mostly due to the microphone quality.

My personal impression is that the first measurement is much accurate and matches better my subjective impressions about the DX1000. However any response measurement of headphones below 100-150 Hz and above 10000Hz should be always taken with a grain of salt. It's very difficult getting a "real" response from HP at the frequency limits.

Rgrds

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #42 of 99
Cool_Torpedo and Agogic. Thank you very much, i appreciate it a lot
smily_headphones1.gif
, specially the first graph, because i have the graphs of various headphones, to compare.
Hey Cool_Torpedo, what mean those other lines in the graph (specially in the first graph). Is the first time that i see a headphone graph as this, and i am a little
confused.gif
Thanks again to you two.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #43 of 99
Well, watching the first graph. I can conclude that this headphones are flat (pulling to dark), obviously (more that the Denons).
'Unfortunately' and judging for that Graph, i think that this headphone doesn't have a stronger bass (can be deeper) response that the denons (even the D2000); and that is a pitty. Specially low and high bass and the headphone seem darker. But even thus, there is anything that always has attracted me....
My DT990 have a much more powerfull bass, according to that graph (4-5x more). Yes, i have the DT990 graph (same type) and RS-1, D2000 & D5000, HFI-780. Only the Denon D5000 is very near to the strenght of the DT990. And the mids seem very recessed and worst the highs (i think that these caracteristics help the Big soundstage that this headphone is famous....)
Well, all it is judging for the graphs that doesn't always give the truth of how it sound in reality (Sound signature, Tonality, Resolution, image and other qualities).

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #44 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, all it is judging for the graphs that doesn't always give the truth of how it sound in reality (Sound signature, Tonality, Resolution, image and other qualities).

Absolutely correct, you cannot judge a book by its cover. The bass response on the JVC is astounding, in accuracy, balance (never feels bloated or overpowering), and tonality. The treble definitely does not present itself in the same manner as my D2000, but it never feels absent or lacking and still sparkles just when I needing it.

Personally, I would not even place the DX1000 and DT990 in the same category - the JVC is so vastly superior that even attempting to compare the two is virtually pointless. This is simply my opinion, and I might add that I have a general dislike for Beyer to begin with, so add your grain of salt of what-have-you.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #45 of 99
Yes, for that i did that aclaration. Yeah, you can't judge a book ((or almost always) a person) for his cover/appearance, because you can get a big surprise at the end...
Hey, in that the DX1000 is so vastly superior to the DT990?, because i see that the DT990 are almost perfect. Except for some sibilance with some material, but it depend of that...; and for a little laidback upper mids (for my liking with the music that i like most...) and not a very deep soundstage (as i will like it had (but it is superior to a lot of headphones out there...)). Only that are my criticism about this headphone.
It have a natural sound in all of his spectrum and isn't darker or very warm. Can be a little bright in the treble, but not as much as here is clamed it to be/stereotyped....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely correct, you cannot judge a book by its cover. The bass response on the JVC is astounding, in accuracy, balance (never feels bloated or overpowering), and tonality. The treble definitely does not present itself in the same manner as my D2000, but it never feels absent or lacking and still sparkles just when I needing it.

Personally, I would not even place the DX1000 and DT990 in the same category - the JVC is so vastly superior that even attempting to compare the two is virtually pointless. This is simply my opinion, and I might add that I have a general dislike for Beyer to begin with, so add your grain of salt of what-have-you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back