Denon D5000 or JVC HP-DX1000 ?
Nov 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #91 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the DX1000 with my RSA Stealth, a serious home tube amp. I think the DX1000 need to be amped with a really good amp to sound their best. They will work with a small portable like you mention, but will deliver even more with a better amp.

So DX1000 works better with powerful tube amps compares to the SS ones? I thought M^3 with steps is pretty powerful too.. Larry says D7k should have good synergy with it.. I wonder if Victor has the same effect, but it might depending on the opamps though.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #93 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So DX1000 works better with powerful tube amps compares to the SS ones? I thought M^3 with steps is pretty powerful too.. Larry says D7k should have good synergy with it.. I wonder if Victor has the same effect, but it might depending on the opamps though.

I'm not at all familiar with the M^3 - sorry. I was thinking of the Mini3, which is a portable.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #94 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of the denons and love them. The only thing between me and the JVC's is around $800. I'd love a pair.
I think Skylab said in one of his reviews that he prefered the Denons but don't hold me on that one. Check out Skylabs post where directly compares the two headphones.

He originally preferred the Denons, but eventually changed his mind to the DX1000s. But consider the price difference, the real comparison should be between D7000s and DX1000s (even though I've heard the D7000s aren't a huge upgrade over the D5ks).

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #95 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He originally preferred the Denons, but eventually changed his mind to the DX1000s. But consider the price difference, the real comparison should be between D7000s and DX1000s (even though I've heard the D7000s aren't a huge upgrade over the D5ks).

To my ears, the D7000s are a huge upgrade as I find them not as bassy and bloated as the D5000s. While they are very fun, they are more neutral in their approach to the D5000s.

Don't get me wrong, the D5000s are incredible cans and I came within minutes of picking them up...

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #97 of 99

Quote:
Quote:

tonality is very easily adjusted

No, it's not something an EQ can fix (too much treble, too little bass, etc.). The JVCs have a synthetic sound/flavoring/twinge that won't be fixed by EQ-ing. The ear cups also create an echo-y hollow, tubby sound that again an EQ won't fix.

I noticed that too.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #98 of 99

Quote:
I've had the DX1000 for a year; the D5000, for about 15 months. I'd repeat now everything I wrote about these phones several months ago in numerous posts.

In a nutshell, I can agree with much that's been said in this thread on both sides. The Denon's are absolutely neutral, a perfectly safe buy for those seeking top-to-bottom neutrality. (Now, as we know, many people are simply unfamiliar with a strong 30 Hz and may not enjoy the experience, but that's a matter of taste.) The Denon's are neutral full-range phones; total keepers. Period.

The DX1000 does something to everything played on it. It adds a little bit of echo and a not insignificant measure of warmth. But, surprisingly, this is so well-done that the result is not an echoy caricature of the material. It's a more airy, more spacious presentation of the material. It throws a huge, much more realistic soundstage. You have a much better chance of having one of those outside-of-head experiences through the DX1000 than through the D5000. These are the phones for those seeking a huge soundstage without giving up the 30 Hz region and timbral accuracy (yes, the echo-y effect is very subtle, very well-calculated).

At first, I preferred the D5000. (My ears have always been calibrated for neutrality.) But, every time I A/B'd these phones, I preferred the DX1000, every time. They grew on me, and my opinion hasn't changed since. If I'm not mistaken, just about the same change happened to Skylab. He's an all-tube guy, I'm an all-SS guy, and we both love full-range phones.

Cheers,

I'm bothered by that echo.
mad.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #99 of 99
The echo bothered me a bit too with the DX 1000. One of the reason I sold it. No chance in hell I sell it a second time. First time I got it I wasn´t really used to woody headphones either and was looking more for a reference headphone. It was not quite as echoey as the markl D5000 though it felt more like extra reverb. The markl D5000 did really echo echo echo...

But first time I didn´t have the right setup for it. Currently using my Trafomator Head One and the GHP both way better choices then before with the Heed Canamp mostly coupled to either my BDP-S370 or Audio GD Ref9. DX 1000 o nthe Canamp was seriously one note bass and rolled of highs but that one note bass was glorious I have to admit.

The GHP can almost make it reference level actually with considerably better detail retrieval then the tube. The tube amp on the other hand can get it even more romantic if you don´t mind the bit of extra colour. A bit one note bass again but that ooomphy sub bass blob fit perfectly for the most part. 

It has more life then the LCD-2 or any other headphone I tried. It´s the least synthetic headphone I listened to. I love it particularly for classical even though it don´t impress nearly as much for analytical as for musical listening. It´s not a reference headphone as mentioned. 

Not reference headphones like the HD 800 and LCD-2 but musically way more involving a lot of the times and more forgiving on crap recordings with it´s rolled off treble. I am about to give up those headphones completely for classical despite how well they do analytically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back