Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 13, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #5,176 of 5,248
A while ago i put together this afternoon setup while working from home.
Denon AH-D2000 on Pan Am with Mullard M8100. Not the perfect pairing, a little thick (Mullards maybe?) but a fun listen. DAC is Geek Out V2+ Infinity.
Denons are really good straight out of the Geek Out btw :L3000:. My Denon AH-D2000 will soon have a 10 year anniversary, still getting more playtime than some of my more expensive gear. Partial Dynamat mod inside (rings only not the cups) and wood cups from a guy on Ebay.

I tried switching earpads from my TH-X00 Purplehearts, that was not a positive experience. The sound just became weird. I'd recommend the big hole old Denon earpads, not the small hole Fostex ones.

Denon_D2000.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #5,177 of 5,248
Very nice to see the D2K still going strong; cult status going strong. Love the sound of those bio-cellulose drivers, very organic. Have switched them to some (rather cheap) very THICK protein leather earpads. It makes them feel like. a pillow on your head, and actually improved the sound by a large margin for me.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #5,181 of 5,248
Dec 16, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #5,183 of 5,248

Attachments

• d2k.jpg
    d2k.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #5,185 of 5,248
Hey,

I have two questions regarding the D5000.

How can I remove the ear pads? Just pull hard? They are quite tight.

And can I get anywhere new, "original" ear pads? Original would be great but I don't know how good the knock offs are that are sold everywhere.

Thanks for your help :)

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #5,186 of 5,248
Hey,

I have two questions regarding the D5000.

How can I remove the ear pads? Just pull hard? They are quite tight.

And can I get anywhere new, "original" ear pads? Original would be great but I don't know how good the knock offs are that are sold everywhere.

Thanks for your help :)

You have to remove the earpad and its plastic ring it is attached on first. You can do this by pressing down on the earpad, and then turning counterclockwise while still applying pressure. The plastic ring with earpad should come right off.

From there, you can just pry the pads off the plastic rings and replace.

Below is a video that shows cup disassembly (irrelevant to what you want), but the first part shows you how to remove the plastic rings (what I described above). The removal process is the same for 2000/5000/7000 series.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #5,187 of 5,248
Perfect, thanks.

Just ordered some rip offs and some original Fostex TH-900 pads.

Another question: Is it normal that the D5000 sit quite loose on the head with almost no clamp? And is it normal that the adjustment for the headband is also very "loose"? It changes with almost no effort or even when I'm moving my head. This is quite annoying.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #5,188 of 5,248
Perfect, thanks.

Another question: Is it normal that the D5000 sit quite loose on the head with almost no clamp? And is it normal that the adjustment for the headband is also very "loose"? It changes with almost no effort or even when I'm moving my head. This is quite annoying
I found them very loose when I had them..they'd literally drop if I tilted my head backwards. Thick pads or velour coating might help.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #5,189 of 5,248
Perfect, thanks.

Another question: Is it normal that the D5000 sit quite loose on the head with almost no clamp? And is it normal that the adjustment for the headband is also very "loose"? It changes with almost no effort or even when I'm moving my head. This is quite annoying.

I always found the ripoffs (cheap Chinese stuff) sounded different and less comfortable than the originals. I also attached instructions from the service manual in case the video I linked above was not clear.

1.png

2.PNG

My D7000 sit quite loose on the head, so I definitely cannot swing my head to and fro. The adjustment is not loose, but it is not the tightest mechanism either. It definitely won't self adjust if I move my head.

The service manual that I have seems to indicate that the headband is fixed by a couple of screws. Perhaps those can be carefully tightened, if they are loose? I have attached a schematic of the assembly below.

3.PNG

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #5,190 of 5,248
Hello everyone! If it will be useful. Recently I changed pads on my old D2000, I used these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124133283686. The sound has changed noticeably( I did the following: from original pads I took out colorless thin plastic ring and also took out a similar ring from new pads. Then I placed the original ring inside the new pads. The sound became almost the same as before. But if someone is not satisfied with this "almost", I think old foam rubber can be also use )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back