Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 21, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #5,238 of 5,248
For those of you that have both, are they too similar? I like a lot the 5200 but as I said I m just curious. I d like to recabling the 2000 or maybe mod it to use a removable balanced cable

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #5,240 of 5,248
Just purchase a D9200. Wonder how much difference compare to another closed back D7200
The price difference is almost 10 times. But D9200 is V-shaped and the D2000 is not, so the D2000 is very good for professional purposes as it is flat and neutral throughout the frequency range. If Denon had released a limited edition of the D2000 I would buy a pair without a second thought

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #5,241 of 5,248
I like both, but I prefer the d2k for the voices and the comfort

IMG20240328141220.jpg

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #5,244 of 5,248
Hi! So recently a friend gave me back a D2000 that I sold to him several years ago, he told me I can have them back for free if I want, because they are in a really bad condition--he used them heavily and the ear pads and headband padding and covering fell apart, cable was broken in a few places and the left driver was dead. I took them apart and cleaned what could be cleaned, replaced the pads, sort of "fixed" the headband (removed what the fake leather and foam, replaced with a cloth headband cover with a zipper from aliexpress). I also had to order new foam "damper" rings that surround the driver as the old ones were falling apart. Now what I thought would be impossible to replace was the bad driver. Luckily after searching on Aliexpress I found one that looked exactly like the original one and had "biofiber" in description, so I bought a pair, very curious about what the driver will actually sound like. I was lazy to bother replacing the working original driver on the right, so I only replaced the dead one in the left phone. At least I would be able to directly compare the original driver to the driver from Aliexpress, and if I hear a significant difference between left and right, I can still replace the original driver too, to make both sides sound the same. To my surprise, once I put the headphones together, with a new cable soldered to the drivers, when I finally listened to this restored old AH-D2000, I could not, and still cannot, tell the drivers apart sound-wise. The Aliexpress driver, at least to my ears, sounds exactly the same as the 13-years-old original one. The sound unfortunately also reminds me of why I sold them those ~8 years ago--unnatural, glary yet dull, weird treble (especially cymbal sounds are not very natural). But still, they do have that punch and those crazy dynamics that I missed on the AH-D5200 (which luckily made me buy the E-MU Teak, which I consider headphone perfection).

If anyone is interested and ever needs to buy a new driver for the AH-D2000, this is the listing: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005557406746.html
(item name "24ohm 300ohm Headphone Speaker Unit AH-D9200 Headset Driver Horn For 52MM Biofiber Membrane DIY Earphone Speakers 2PCS", should the link stop working. Seller name "LEVOPHON Audio Speaker Store". Obviously, I bought the 24 ohm version to match the working original driver, but I am curious whether replacing them both with a 300-ohm version would make the headphones sound better?? Also, there is a very similar one also on Aliexpress with a different magnet. While this one that I bought is, per description, N42, there is also a N52 version--I wonder, would a stronger magnet have better control of the voice coil, resulting in a better sound? I guess the N52 drivers would in the very least be louder...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back