Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Feb 9, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #5,191 of 5,248
Hello everyone! If it will be useful. Recently I changed pads on my old D2000, I used these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124133283686. The sound has changed noticeably( I did the following: from original pads I took out colorless thin plastic ring and also took out a similar ring from new pads. Then I placed the original ring inside the new pads. The sound became almost the same as before. But if someone is not satisfied with this "almost", I think old foam rubber can be also use )
I ordered this same set! Be here in a week or so. From the pics, they look closest to the original shape (especially the thickness in the front section) than any pads Ive seen so far. Im anxious to try these on my oldest D7000 set thats leaving black specks all over me.

Feb 10, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #5,192 of 5,248
I really like the sound of D7000; perhaps even a little more than the TH900. It seems to be difficult to find a pair of D7000 in decent condition without breaking the bank. Would E-MU Teak (or any of the variants) be the closest to the D7000 in terms of sound signature? Or, are there other alternatives. Thanks.

Feb 10, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #5,193 of 5,248
I really like the sound of D7000; perhaps even a little more than the TH900. It seems to be difficult to find a pair of D7000 in decent condition without breaking the bank. Would E-MU Teak (or any of the variants) be the closest to the D7000 in terms of sound signature? Or, are there other alternatives. Thanks.
In my opinion, Denon D7000 are still unsurpassed headphones compare with new line of Denon. I was lucky to recently buy new Denon D7000 from one good person )

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #5,194 of 5,248
You are as fortunate as I! Lucky, I have 1 old set of D7000 that's great condition that requires a little tlc once in a while, PLUS a new mint set still in the box that are ready if the old set gives out. The TH900 is simply to harsh compared to the D7000. The highs on the TH are a touch more detailed (10%) but are WAY to harsh and completely cripple the enjoyment. As far as bass, the TH900 doesnt carry the bulk of the low end weight the D7000 does. The TH seems to focus and carry about 10% extra on the "sub bass" but leaves the the majority of the bass spectrum shallow compared to the 7000. So basically the TH900 can reach a bit lower is sub bass vibration, doesn't carry the heft throughout the tune and the volume has to be so high on the TH to actually get the desired bass that the highs destroy your ears in the high register during the process. The D7000 is still the unsurpassed masterpiece in the Dynamic realm IMO. And Im not spending 5K for something to get 10% better. The law of diminishing returns certainly apply here. D7K is king.

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #5,195 of 5,248
You are as fortunate as I! Lucky, I have 1 old set of D7000 that's great condition that requires a little tlc once in a while, PLUS a new mint set still in the box that are ready if the old set gives out. The TH900 is simply to harsh compared to the D7000. The highs on the TH are a touch more detailed (10%) but are WAY to harsh and completely cripple the enjoyment. As far as bass, the TH900 doesnt carry the bulk of the low end weight the D7000 does. The TH seems to focus and carry about 10% extra on the "sub bass" but leaves the the majority of the bass spectrum shallow compared to the 7000. So basically the TH900 can reach a bit lower is sub bass vibration, doesn't carry the heft throughout the tune and the volume has to be so high on the TH to actually get the desired bass that the highs destroy your ears in the high register during the process. The D7000 is still the unsurpassed masterpiece in the Dynamic realm IMO. And Im not spending 5K for something to get 10% better. The law of diminishing returns certainly apply here. D7K is king.
Completely agree with you. Its all about the unique tuning with an almost linear FR that makes D7000 a versatile cans for discerning listeners and music makers alike. I had old D7000 that I lost when I moved. Now, just like you, I want to find an old pair of D7000 and leave the second pair of new ones in reserve ) Thanks for advice )

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #5,197 of 5,248
I need help to identify the wires in the stock D2000 cable. I am assuming the black wires are for ground, but how about the other two wires? Which one is for right channel or left channel?

I recabled my D2K long time ago so I forgot which wire is for which. Now I want to use the leftover stock cable with the headphone jack for a DIY cable.

Thanks

IMG_0383.jpg

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #5,198 of 5,248
Hello
which plug do you use where then comes to the amplifier?

If you use a 6.3 mm then use black for minus and the coloured ones for the plus pole and remember the colours of what is plus left and plus right.
And solder it to the 6.3 mm jack like this and the minus you have to twist and solder to the minus pole of the jack.

It doesn't matter with XLR 4 pin.
I would also use black as the negative and the coloured ones as the positive.
And then solder the plus to the pole that you have determined on the driver from the colour on the jack and the minus as well.
You only have to look at the pin assignment on the XLR connector, i.e. what 1234 means.

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #5,199 of 5,248
Hello
which plug do you use where then comes to the amplifier?

If you use a 6.3 mm then use black for minus and the coloured ones for the plus pole and remember the colours of what is plus left and plus right.
And solder it to the 6.3 mm jack like this and the minus you have to twist and solder to the minus pole of the jack.

It doesn't matter with XLR 4 pin.
I would also use black as the negative and the coloured ones as the positive.
And then solder the plus to the pole that you have determined on the driver from the colour on the jack and the minus as well.
You only have to look at the pin assignment on the XLR connector, i.e. what 1234 means.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I am trying to reuse the cable (with the stock jack) to make a line-out cable for ipod's dock (30 pin). So which color is for right or left channel?

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #5,200 of 5,248
Hello,
It depends on which colour the left and right channels are on the 6.3 mm plug.
The plugs are screwed together, try to open it and have a look, otherwise there is no other choice than to make a new one with a new plug.
It is best to hold a pair of water pump pliers on the golden outer diameter of the jack and with another pair of pliers on the socket (which should be grey) and turn it downwards with your right hand to open it.
But be careful, too much pressure will leave marks.

Otherwise, if you have not unsoldered the cable on the driver, you can look there - that would also be an option.
It is sufficient to remove one cup to check the other side is then clear.
It doesn't matter which cup you take, free choice.
It should be enough if you only unscrew the cup.

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #5,203 of 5,248
Made two ugly LOD cables salvaged from the stock D2K cable (which has been in the storage for yrs), with and without caps in the dock connector. It wasn't easy to have the caps soldered to the pins and wires in that tiny space. I wouldn't want to reopen it after it's closed.

These days I rarely use headphones or IEM's, as I work from home and use my home sound system also connected to my bookshelf speakers. Music blasts at least 8 hrs everyday.

IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #5,204 of 5,248
So I tried this headband on the old D7000. It works and looks great. The listing says you have to drill holes to fit. These, but you do NOT! Just use your old denon hardware. Also these new pads are as 100% the closest to the OGs. The new headband isn't the smoothest when setting the height but once its done its set. I removed the additional leather strap and used the included pad for the top and its great. There is more clamping force for tension as well. Great option for anyone with a set that needs an update.
20220312_173032.jpg
20220312_171841.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PPQGBBY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Head...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #5,205 of 5,248
After 10 years+ and past 6 years with them pretty much running 24/7 (never turned off my amp used everyday for music/gaming) the right side of my D2k have died. pretty much had a panic attack and couldnt sleep. not sure what the next steps are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back