Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 25, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #3,856 of 5,248
Yeah I own the D2K and have owned the DT770 80 and 600 ohm. They 80 ohm and the D2K are similar, though the mids are a tad better on the DT770, the treble of the 770 is brighter but at the same time less sibilant sounding to me. The bass of the D2K is deeper and the sub bass is stronger, but also kind of flabby. The 770's is deep but not as deep, it has a punch but the impact isn't quite up to par with the D2K.

Now, the 600 ohm is totally different. It is much more close to balanced than the other 2. The treble is SO MUCH smoother, and the mids are more forward. The bass isn't as strong but it still goes just as deep as the 80 ohm if EQ'd a little. 

The impact of the DT770 600 with Alpha Pads has bass impact close to the D2k, but still not the sub bass.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #3,859 of 5,248
Thanks for DT-770 impressions. The Sennie 650 head cushion is suuuuuweet !
I just used furniture glue to attach to the D2k headband. It just adds the right amount of give as they are featherweight cans compared to some planars !

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,860 of 5,248
  Thanks for DT-770 impressions. The Sennie 650 head cushion is suuuuuweet !
I just used furniture glue to attach to the D2k headband. It just adds the right amount of give as they are featherweight cans compared to some planars !

I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my T50RP. I'd use it more if the headband wouldn't hurt my head so much.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #3,861 of 5,248
Even though the D2000 doesn't have much padding on the headband, it feels really comfortable on my head. It curves just right.

But hey, if you find the senn pad makes it even better, than that's just awesome!

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #3,863 of 5,248
  DT-770 vs D2k ? Any you guys owned both ?

i own the 250 ohm dt770 and an as-of-yet unmodded d2k with alpha pads.
comfort wise id say that (with the alpha pads on the d2k) theyre on par, both very very comfy, one could easily forget hes wearing headphones.
as for sound, i found the 770s too bright, sometimes sibilant. im sensitive to treble though so ymmv.
mids were about the same for me..
bass: i eq heavily and turn the sub bass way up. with that in mind id say the 770s were more cooperative with being eqed and i could easily turn them into rumbling bass canons. the d2k are less cooperative, but still eq friendly and i can get them to the same level more or less. the mid bass award goes to the d2k imho, who provide more impact.
as far as quality goes, i.e, "tightness", the d2k are way ahead of the 770s, who sound more flabby and "fat" in comparison. i felt the sub bass decay was slow, and made them sound kinda loose.
i love both cans but id say the d2k is a definite winner.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3,864 of 5,248
DT-770 vs D2k ? Any you guys owned both ?

I owned the 32 ohm LE version of the DT770 a while back. Similar in type of sound sig to the D2000 but I truly like the Denon much better.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,865 of 5,248
HM5 pads...yes, I guess they can be either double-side taped to the white lock-in ring or medium glued to it.
They are about 9cm diameter when squashed to a circular shape...1 cm or so shy of the cup diameter.

Will be good to see how the new taller HM5 pads compare for keeping the ear away from the driver 100%.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,866 of 5,248

Well, HE-400 isn't the same as LCD 2. Haven't tried LCD myself yet.

I'm not sure how anything can be more comfortable than D2000 W/ Alpha Pads. The Alphas are so soft and plush, it's wonderful.

The reallly sick part, is when I got my HE 400 I found it to be too heavy for my neck, it was part of why I sold it... and that was around November of Last Year when I Sold it, so fast forward to 10 months later and I found the LCD 2 to be extremely comfortable :/

Long story short, you get used to the weight quicker than you'd think 

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #3,867 of 5,248
I'm still loving my modded D2000, this could very well be end game for me.  

Jun 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #3,868 of 5,248
I'm mildly ashamed to admit, my D2k pretty much serves as my "buddy" headphone atm. I have a spiltter now for my pb2, so when I'm on the go and want to share my music... I hand my buddies the D2k and keep the w1000x for my self

truthfully, the bass is SO WONDERFUL, but everything else is very nuetral, nothing stands out. In addition the headphone is rather warm compared to the rest of my gear... It just doesn't WOW me outside of EDM, and even then at home the HE 4 does EDM better

it does how ever have the best isolation, so when my roomies are being stupid... the D2k get's some love :3 

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #3,869 of 5,248
^^yeah the these Denons (D5000, personally) are really capable phones, and have the funnest sound amongst my collection - really easy to reach for. Of course, it also helps I bought these new on clearance making them one of the rare pieces in my vast collection of hobby toys that have actually increased in value 
tongue.gif
. That's academic though; I'll probably never sell them. They will always have a place next to my $$$ phones.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3,870 of 5,248
  ^^yeah the these Denons (D5000, personally) are really capable phones, and have the funnest sound amongst my collection - really easy to reach for. Of course, it also helps I bought these new on clearance making them one of the rare pieces in my vast collection of hobby toys that have actually increased in value 
tongue.gif
. That's academic though; I'll probably never sell them. They will always have a place next to my $$$ phones.

More than likely, since I have a balanced splitter now I'll b keeping my D2k as well lol, it's a perfect buddy headphone, as the sound is just enjoyable, farmillar and yet new to a lot of my friends. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back