Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3,887 of 5,248
You need to buy a Leather Comfort Head-Strap ($20) from ebay and a Beyerdynamic replacement headband pad ($10 to $20).   For around $30 you can have a super comfy headphone.

Or try the HD650 headband pad. I've put that on every Denon headphone I own and recommend it to the snap on style.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,889 of 5,248
Hi guys,
I have had my d2000s for a while now, and would like to know wether it is worth getting the cups from martin audio, and what pads I should get. I need a recable, because my cable is nearly broken and severely bent in one place (and I find the stock cable a nuisance anyway), and my pads aren't in the best of condition either, with the pleather flaking, and I would like him to repair my headband like he did on punit's, because it is also falling apart. They are still usable, because the pads aren't flaking where they make contact with the ears, the headband damage affects the aesthetics and not the comfort and the cable is also survivable, as I only use them at home. I have heard of success with the alpha pads, HM5 pads and lawton angle pads. I am wondering about the cups because if i ask him to recable them and to replace the headband it would be convenient to also get the cups.
Thanks in advance

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #3,890 of 5,248

If you have the funds, it's worth it to YOU. If you love these headphones (and I own 5 Denons - see sig) they are worth modding.

Q French silk cable would be the ultimate in looks and flexibility (I have it on my D7000 at 4' length), and Martin is a master artist with wood (did my COCOBOLO Rosewood cups on my D2000). Pads - I've tried Alpha pads on three of them, but prefer Lawton angle pads after all is said and done. You can buy a pair of pads off eBay that are so very close to Lawtons pads for less than half the cost (which is now what Is on my D2000) and can't tell the difference.

Have you done any Lawton damping? That's an area I feel is well worth doing.

Keep us posted on your project!

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #3,891 of 5,248
I got the deep cocobolo rosewood cups (same as Oregonian) I think it's definately worth it. I'm thinking about doing a copper recable sometime in the future...

I've had a couple of things made for me by Martin he's a true artist took 1-2 months to get my stuff

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,892 of 5,248
I got the deep cocobolo rosewood cups (same as Oregonian) I think it's definately worth it. I'm thinking about doing a copper recable sometime in the future...

I've had a couple of things made for me by Martin he's a true artist took 1-2 months to get my stuff

indeed, Martins a respectable fellow, I also have Colobolo cups by Martin [standard depth] 

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,893 of 5,248
Martin is ridiculously good at his craft. I've got some deep cocobolo rosewood cups on my D2k made by Martin as well.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #3,894 of 5,248
I definately prefer the Denon lineup to Grado, but what he's done with the Grado magnums with the wood and metal parts is just gorgeous, kind of makes me want to get a set.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #3,895 of 5,248
"Project Blistered Finger"..... just started on Punit's cups that he sold me last week...!

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #3,896 of 5,248

How is that amp in such pristine condition ? My first system was a vintage Pioneer amp, QED silver anniversary cables, Technics decks and Mission speakers. What a great sound from that combo.

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #3,898 of 5,248
  Awesome! What color stain are you going to use?

Cherry with Renaissance wax treatment.

Wish I'd waited for paracord before getting my balanced Mogami installed....could have braided each of the 4 cable lines like this...oh well.
Will do it on my LCD-2s.

Just got some HM5 memory foam pads through the mail from Hong Kong and they are in fact deeper as I have the original HM5 and my ears would touch the inner dust filter whereas with these my ears are back from the cone area after A|B'ing the 2 styles....So a good alternative to TH-900 pads if you want a wider and deeper (than HM5 original) internal hole. They are 1 cm smaller than stock so need to be glued to the plastic rings as I could see no way to hook them over the rings unless making the micmacmo (?) inner tube mod.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #3,899 of 5,248
How is that amp in such pristine condition ? My first system was a vintage Pioneer amp, QED silver anniversary cables, Technics decks and Mission speakers. What a great sound from that combo.

Bought it from the original owner who drove an hour and a half to meet me because I told him I'm a Pioneer fan.

It really is like new and the walnut looks like new except for two small dings.

Had it tuned up/Deoxit treatment and now it sounds like new. Put it in my family room so I can look at it a lot.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #3,900 of 5,248
"Project Blistered Finger"..... just started on Punit's cups that he sold me last week...!

Keep us posted on your progress and more pics as you go if you can. I like the idea of changing the stock Denon cup look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back