Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 9, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #3,798 of 5,248
Can't wait to see the progress once you get started man.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #3,800 of 5,248
So did you guys get a significant taming of treble when you modded or had yours modded ?
I'm going down in increments with lattices of Silverstone non-reflective material with another absorbing material below that on the cup walls.
I just find as it was, the treble really races ahead of the mids/bass as the volume went up but that is no news to anyone treble sensitive.
I've not treated the back of the driver as yet until I get more Silverstone or similar....I got no idea why people were using silver foil-backed material to tame a treble enhanced can when all it does is reflect the backwave !
Boy does that cable need to go. Have it wrapped in circle and still cumbersome......it has its place in a traditional audio set-up with the amp across the room.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,801 of 5,248
  So did you guys get a significant taming of treble when you modded or had yours modded ?
I'm going down in increments with lattices of Silverstone non-reflective material with another absorbing material below that on the cup walls.
I just find as it was, the treble really races ahead of the mids/bass as the volume went up but that is no news to anyone treble sensitive.
I've not treated the back of the driver as yet until I get more Silverstone or similar....I got no idea why people were using silver foil-backed material to tame a treble enhanced can when all it does is reflect the backwave !
Boy does that cable need to go. Have it wrapped in circle and still cumbersome......it has its place in a traditional audio set-up with the amp across the room.

honestly, I find the Treble on my D2k to be very smoooth, mines MUCH darker than I thought it was... I've got cocobolo Wood Cups, Lawont Pads and Lawton Dampen on the Driver Alone 

it almost dark sounding 

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,802 of 5,248
  honestly, I find the Treble on my D2k to be very smoooth, mines MUCH darker than I thought it was... I've got cocobolo Wood Cups, Lawont Pads and Lawton Dampen on the Driver Alone 

it almost dark sounding 

I'll get there in increments...
biggrin.gif

Porting over an angled earpad I designed for a closed wood Fostex T50RP which is too big as it stands for D2k 11cm vs about 10 cm.Might make it in burgundy to go with the tone of wood I have in mind.

Let me know how you get on with the LCD-XC BTW, really interested as you have the planars/D2k impression already....

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #3,803 of 5,248

Yes! When my D2000 was purchased, the owner did a dynamat mod, and the material he used was a silver foil like material. Without a doubt, that made the can sound more harsh in the treble, and since removing it, I've been a much happier listener. The dynamat really just made them very harsh and much less enjoyable than stock. Strongly suggest against doing it!

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #3,804 of 5,248
My D2000 broke today. After 2 years of everyday use right cup fell off. So sad. Impulsively bought Audio-Technica WS77 for a temporary replacement, they're good, but i already miss a supreme comfiness of D2000.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #3,805 of 5,248

Yes! When my D2000 was purchased, the owner did a dynamat mod, and the material he used was a silver foil like material. Without a doubt, that made the can sound more harsh in the treble, and since removing it, I've been a much happier listener. The dynamat really just made them very harsh and much less enjoyable than stock. Strongly suggest against doing it!

I thought all dynamat-type mods have a foil like material on it? Can you even peel the foil material off of dynamat?

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #3,807 of 5,248
Well even the Lawton audio cup damping is foil backed even if it isn't dynamat. I thought that was the thing to do for these headphones. Is there an effective damping mod that doesn't involve foil-like material? 

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #3,808 of 5,248
  I thought all dynamat-type mods have a foil like material on it? Can you even peel the foil material off of dynamat?

yes you can, the Dynamt inside of my W1000x is solid black, the foil was used to keep the stick side sticky

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3,809 of 5,248
  yes you can, the Dynamt inside of my W1000x is solid black, the foil was used to keep the stick side sticky

You (Mshenay) might want to check out the LCD-2 thread and search by photos....one guy in Russia modded an LCD-2 to a better sound than LCD-XC.... http://www.head-fi.org/t/509710/audeze-lcd-2-impressions-thread/2715#post_10385664
You'll save a fortune picking up a used pre-fazor LCD-2 circa $750-$800 (that still has that deep and dark bass intact) and messing around with damping/wood enclosure cup....

Back on topic, regarding the damping material, i just picked up an exact duplicate of Sliverstone foam used for A/C units at a fraction of branded car audio stuff (just got that tip off a sub-woofer car outfit place locally)...so if you are doing your own mod, track down some lagging sponge with no reflective backing meant for a/c installation.....since it is supposed to DAMP not reflect...LOL

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #3,810 of 5,248
Can you tell me where to get this Dynamat without the foil? 

I was looking at getting these, but I now am afraid it will increase the harshness on my D2000:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020CATC

I also read a thread where someone dimpled the foil to help disperse the reflections. I wonder if this helps at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back