Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,766 of 5,248

I hear you my friend.  From watching the valuations of modded D2000's, for over a year or so, the value unfortunately doesn't go $300 headphone, $200 cups, $99 Lawton mods, etc.  Wish it did sometimes from my prior sales. 

I'd be scared to sell off a discontinued gem like the Denon. Especially considering the 'successor' that replaced them doesn't quite live up (so i've read).

Plus those mods are what make the phones your own. It'd be like selling a piece of yourself.

well to my suprise I got some unexpcted fincial help today, so I may be keeping them 

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3,768 of 5,248

Why can't I ever get to say that :frowning2:

<.<, you do not have the gods of curry smiling over you

no but I've in the past had to sell... my DT 880, my hm601, not to mention a my Wii U back in the Winter... along with like every game system I owned q.q. So I feel ya on that, and what comes around goes around. So hopefully something nice will come your way soon 

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #3,769 of 5,248
Just saw this on Canuck Audio Mart in Canada D2000 low hours  $325.00 CA.                                                                                                               http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649130005-denon_ahd2000_approx_50_hours/

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,770 of 5,248
  Just saw this on Canuck Audio Mart in Canada D2000 low hours  $325.00 CA.                                                                                                               http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649130005-denon_ahd2000_approx_50_hours/

ooh nice

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #3,772 of 5,248
  so i use my d2000 with a e17, how much better can it get with a better amp? the major areas where i think the d2000 needs improvement are soundstage and separation. 

Well maybe in the DAC/AMP department the Beresford Bushmaster Mk2 is known for exactly that "soundstage and separation"...it is also described as natural not neutral,warm or analytical...it uses an obscure Wolfson chip with a fairly simple implementation inside vs A-gd stuff at a similar price.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #3,774 of 5,248
Just got my D2k....actually smaller than I imagined, but still great fit for me coming from NAD HP-50 which were too flipping small !
Does anyone know if the stock cable has silver in it...spc etc ? Got to decide to split the stock cable in half to make it balanced or just install a new cable from scratch.

I think taming the treble will be one of my first aims..... I'm a bit treble sensitive. A keeper for sure though.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,775 of 5,248
  Just got my D2k....actually smaller than I imagined, but still great fit for me coming from NAD HP-50 which were too flipping small !
Does anyone know if the stock cable has silver in it...spc etc ? Got to decide to split the stock cable in half to make it balanced or just install a new cable from scratch.

I think taming the treble will be one of my first aims..... I'm a bit treble sensitive. A keeper for sure though.

I was able to tame the treble down by playing with the angle of the pads. If you can get it positioned to where your ears are fairly close to the drivers, you will tame the treble. They seem to get brighter the further away from your ears they are. 

Running through a warmer DAC/AMP also helps. Copper gives a warmer sound than silver, so if you do any cable mods, go for copper.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #3,776 of 5,248

I was able to tame the treble down by playing with the angle of the pads. If you can get it positioned to where your ears are fairly close to the drivers, you will tame the treble. They seem to get brighter the further away from your ears they are. 

Running through a warmer DAC/AMP also helps. Copper gives a warmer sound than silver, so if you do any cable mods, go for copper.

Thanks, I think I will be modding them internally same time I install wood cups for them and get some loctite on "that" problem headband screw in case it works its way out/wears the  thread.
Was surprised how little cushioning there is on the headband....it looks way more padded than it is .
Sennie 650 headband cushion to the rescue !

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3,777 of 5,248
D2k is DEFINITELY a keeper. I hit a bit of a financial snag and had to choose between selling the modded D2k and the XC I own. I kept the D2k. The XC sold today.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #3,778 of 5,248
  D2k is DEFINITELY a keeper. I hit a bit of a financial snag and had to choose between selling the modded D2k and the XC I own. I kept the D2k. The XC sold today.

Nice, how does it compare to XC...been hearing mixed opinions (as always). Is the XC cup diameter bigger or same than D2k...difficult to estimate when most can photos are solo shots....

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3,779 of 5,248

Not the best picture, but the XC's cups are a little bigger than the D2k. The ear cushions are about as wide and deep on the XC as the Alpha Pads I have on my D2k. The XC is an amazing can. It's imaging capabilities are what I loved most about it. It had a fairly open sound as far as closed back cans go.. But nothing can compete with the bass on the D2k. The XC had pretty good mid bass, with enough impact that made me feel like I was listening to a dynamic driver when it hit sometimes, but it didn't have that rumble that the D2k did down low.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #3,780 of 5,248

Not the best picture, but the XC's cups are a little bigger than the D2k. The ear cushions are about as wide and deep on the XC as the Alpha Pads I have on my D2k. The XC is an amazing can. It's imaging capabilities are what I loved most about it. It had a fairly open sound as far as closed back cans go.. But nothing can compete with the bass on the D2k. The XC had pretty good mid bass, with enough impact that made me feel like I was listening to a dynamic driver when it hit sometimes, but it didn't have that rumble that the D2k did down low.

BWAH that sucks it sounds like an upgrade to my W1000x, my D2k has great sub bass and the mids and imaging are ok. My w1000x doesn't have bass but images nicely... SO NO ME GUSTA... I means it's nice to hear the XC has the sound sig I'm used to with my w1000x but UGH is there not a CAN THAT HAS EVERYTHING... apprently not -.- 

also nice to see you here Cripple glad I kept my D2k 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back