Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jun 10, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #3,811 of 5,248
I used paxmate instead, its not as effective a dampener but you also don't have to deal with any of this foil stuff.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3,812 of 5,248
I've actually been using paxmate in my computer case for many years. Yeah it wont be as effective just because foam does not have much mass. Might help with reflections though.

I wonder if you could use paxmate on top of foil Dynamat.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #3,813 of 5,248
So I just put a square 3/4 x 3/4 inch of silverstone earside over the driver and behind the earpad with a spine cut out of the gummy back to let the wave come though vs hitting a wall of sticky gum... (this is a tip from the T50RP mod thread.)You just pinch the square so it is folding sticky side out and cut a "spine line" out of the sticky back side then slap it over the driver grill.
It has tamed the treble spike at a stroke for me anyway. I can raise the volume higher without the treble racing ahead so much.
YMMV as I'm treble sensitive.
It takes a minute and you don't have to dive inside the cans except unscrewing the earcups.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #3,814 of 5,248
  I've actually been using paxmate in my computer case for many years. Yeah it wont be as effective just because foam does not have much mass. Might help with reflections though.

I wonder if you could use paxmate on top of foil Dynamat.

Good idea actually, maybe I should try that sometime.
  So I just put a square 3/4 x 3/4 inch of silverstone earside over the driver and behind the earpad with a spine cut out of the gummy back to let the wave come though vs hitting a wall of sticky gum... (this is a tip from the T50RP mod thread.)You just pinch the square so it is folding sticky side out and cut a "spine line" out of the sticky back side then slap it over the driver grill.
It has tamed the treble spike at a stroke for me anyway. I can raise the volume higher without the treble racing ahead so much.
YMMV as I'm treble sensitive.
It takes a minute and you don't have to dive inside the cans except unscrewing the earcups.

I put some nice thick wool felt in front of the driver instead, I think it has a similar effect that your mod does.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #3,815 of 5,248
Also I put suede leather over the inside of the cup and layers of lattices of silverstone (like a waffle) to disrupt the backwave with cottom wool over that... the suede damping was my own idea but the lattice stuff comes from T50p mods and measurements...(always good to reference mod sources)....anyway upper region is much smoother on the lugs and I've not tackled the bare back of the driver with damping yet...if you put too much cotton in the cup it will kill some of the bass. I'm stripping layers out then testing to get the Goldilocks balance...

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #3,816 of 5,248
Have you guys have heard of anyone using vinyl dampening materials for earcups?

Such as this:

http://www.parts-express.com/sonic-barrier-lightweight-vinyl-sound-damping-sheet-10-x-13--268-030

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #3,817 of 5,248
  Have you guys have heard of anyone using vinyl dampening materials for earcups?

Such as this:

http://www.parts-express.com/sonic-barrier-lightweight-vinyl-sound-damping-sheet-10-x-13--268-030

The surface looks reflective vs absorbing in the second photo....

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #3,818 of 5,248

The surface looks reflective vs absorbing in the second photo....

Yes, It is reflective, but i dont think any moreso so than the plastic walls of the earcups and less so than the shiny foil of the Dynamat.

As I understand it, the purpose of damping as it pertains to the Dx000 headphones, is to reduce vibrations rather than absorbing soundwaves. This helps control the bass and reduce some of the rumbling effect.

I just want to be able to tame the bass abit while at the same time not add any extra sibilance compared to stock.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #3,819 of 5,248
I thought all dynamat-type mods have a foil like material on it? Can you even peel the foil material off of dynamat?

Lawton is now using Fatmat which has a version that is not foil backed.

To listen to Mark describe it, I seem to remember he said it was about dissipating Heat and vibrations..his words.........I dunno, but the man did develop an epic mod.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #3,820 of 5,248
My D2000 broke today. After 2 years of everyday use right cup fell off. So sad. Impulsively bought Audio-Technica WS77 for a temporary replacement, they're good, but i already miss a supreme comfiness of D2000.

You can repair that. I will look up later when I'm not on mobile but a gent in I think New Jersey sells the parts needed cheap. Or u could Google Denon repair cup falling off.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #3,821 of 5,248

To listen to Mark describe it, I seem to remember he said it was about dissipating Heat and vibrations..his words.........I dunno, but the man did develop an epic mod.

In all the photos they show on the site, it looks foil backed to me or some shiny metallic based layer..

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page55.html

The ones in these photos are fatmat.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3,822 of 5,248
  So did you guys get a significant taming of treble when you modded or had yours modded ?

My only success in taming the treble, especially sibilance in human voices, was by gluing felt discs in the drivers' protection grills, as described here (I'm currently using two discs on each side): http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread/3495#post_10348740

I did that inspired by a mod suggested by BlueMonkeyFlyer for MrSpeakers' Alpha Dogs. So far, no one has done this for the Denon headphones or, for that matter, the Fostexes that share the same construction design. So, I'm not sure if it will help others too.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #3,823 of 5,248
wp2cb34fbf_05_1a.jpg

Hard to tell but looks like a white texture that is glossy. 

Anyway, Mark told me via email when I was proposing doing my TH900 he made a comment about the shinyness switch.

Any way you slice it, his mods work.  My D7000 went from good to great after his work. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,824 of 5,248

My only success in taming the treble, especially sibilance in human voices, was by gluing felt discs in the drivers' protection grills, as described here (I'm currently using two discs on each side): http://www.head-fi.org/t/350721/denon-d2000-d5000-md2000-md5000-appreciation-thread/3495#post_10348740

I did that inspired by a mod suggested by BlueMonkeyFlyer for MrSpeakers' Alpha Dogs. So far, no one has done this for the Denon headphones or, for that matter, the Fostexes that share the same construction design. So, I'm not sure if it will help others too.

Interesting. I have that done on a pair of cans but it was to tame shouty mids and bitey treble but the D2k had recessed mids from the get-go so I never did that. I'll give it a shot with the thinnest felt I have earside. I just put fluffy cotton around the sponge central disc yesterday and it helped a bit.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #3,825 of 5,248

You (Mshenay) might want to check out the LCD-2 thread and search by photos....one guy in Russia modded an LCD-2 to a better sound than LCD-XC.... http://www.head-fi.org/t/509710/audeze-lcd-2-impressions-thread/2715#post_10385664
You'll save a fortune picking up a used pre-fazor LCD-2 circa $750-$800 (that still has that deep and dark bass intact) and messing around with damping/wood enclosure cup....

Back on topic, regarding the damping material, i just picked up an exact duplicate of Sliverstone foam used for A/C units at a fraction of branded car audio stuff (just got that tip off a sub-woofer car outfit place locally)...so if you are doing your own mod, track down some lagging sponge with no reflective backing meant for a/c installation.....since it is supposed to DAMP not reflect...LOL

Agree;d MY D2k is rather dark sounding, I never noticed how much so until I listened to my HE 4 and W1000x again, the bass and mids are a tad forward over the treble, yet it's dark while not "thick" it lacks the thick slowness of planars, it still has a touch to much bass for me to use it out side of EDM, but for  EDM it's pretty epic! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back