DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jan 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,621 of 2,125
If you weren't already aware, I posted my Chord Mojo review. I recently added the video to it:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/14747

The video is 30 minutes long, and includes a lot of comparisons, my thoughts on it with full-sized headphones and IEMs.

Thank you for all the effort Currawong. I enjoyed reading and watching that... and right now I'm on the train home preparing to unpack my freshly delivered Chord Mojo :)
(And already cursing that darn 10h charge ahead of me before I can toy around with it)

Thanks guys for the great input, and I'll try to post some findings whenever I find the time for that (probably not the first week to come though).

One more question: does anybody know someplace I can buy a micro-USB OTG cable, male to male? I found something cheap on ebay, but the maximum length seems to be 14cm... so I'd rather skip on some unnecessary connection points. Or am I asking too much there? :p

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,622 of 2,125
If you weren't already aware, I posted my Chord Mojo review. I recently added the video to it:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/14747

The video is 30 minutes long, and includes a lot of comparisons, my thoughts on it with full-sized headphones and IEMs.

Thank you for all the effort Currawong. I enjoyed reading and watching that... and right now I'm on the train home preparing to unpack my freshly delivered Chord Mojo :)
(And already cursing that darn 10h charge ahead of me before I can toy around with it)

Thanks guys for the great input, and I'll try to post some findings whenever I find the time for that (probably not the first week to come though).

One more question: does anybody know someplace I can buy a micro-USB OTG cable, male to male? I found something cheap on ebay, but the maximum length seems to be 14cm... so I'd rather skip on some unnecessary connection points. Or am I asking too much there? :p

Try Lavricables. Konstantin is very efficient. I'm using his micro USB OTG to connect my Onkyo DP-X1 to Hugo or ALO CDM.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,623 of 2,125
Comparison of Questyle QP1R vs Fiio X7 vs Pioneer XDP-100R vs Astell & Kern AK320

Here is a non-scientific, purely subjective comparison of 4 DAPs I've had a chance to listen to recently.
The comparison is based on features and functionalities I care about, so the overall best DAP may or may not make sense for everyone.

They are all really good DAPs and I'll be posting a summary of when you would choose one over the other (and an explanation on why each DAP was ranked a certain way in each category) i.e. if there is interest.

P.S. : I wasn't sure where to post it so I picked this thread. I hope @Currawong doesn't mind.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,624 of 2,125
  Comparison of Questyle QP1R vs Fiio X7 vs Pioneer XDP-100R vs Astell & Kern AK320

Here is a non-scientific, purely subjective comparison of 4 DAPs I've had a chance to listen to recently.
The comparison is based on features and functionalities I care about, so the overall best DAP may or may not make sense for everyone.

They are all really good DAPs and I'll be posting a summary of when you would choose one over the other (and an explanation on why each DAP was ranked a certain way in each category) i.e. if there is interest.

P.S. : I wasn't sure where to post it so I picked this thread. I hope @Currawong doesn't mind.

i think it would be helpful for ALL comparisons [not just yours] to describe what kind of music you like and what music you used to eval sq.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,625 of 2,125
Does anyone have thoughts on how these newer Daps perform relative to the bundles of recent memory (I.e, Clas > Alo MK3/Duet). Are there notable sacrifices that come with cramming all stages in a single, often smallish, package? Obviously they deliver on the aspects of convenience, but at what expense, if any?

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #1,628 of 2,125
Anybody here using their smartphone as a transport for Mojo... do you guys hear loads of RF noise too? Or is that my Note 4's fault? :s

Yup. Discussed quite a bit in the Mojo thread, and i think in the Mojo issues thread. It's the fault of the phone. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #1,630 of 2,125
Quote:

Yup. Discussed quite a bit in the Mojo thread, and i think in the Mojo issues thread. It's the fault of the phone. 

I must admit I'm kind of feeling mighty disappointed now. I bought the Mojo as an upgrade to my DX90. The latter worked perfectly with my Note 4 since the latest firmware update, as an USB DAC. That is using the same USB OTG-cable, without any interference at all. And that is while the DX90 wasn't specifically designed as a USB-DAC, and using the 1 micro-USB port for both charging and data transfer. That one USB port also caused my main problem with it: It couldn't connect without the charging taking place as well, draining my phone battery at an unseen rate.

I now buy a higher end piece of equipment that's specifically designed AND marketed for use with nowadays' capable smartphones. A device that splits the USB data and power connection to even further reduce noise. And yet it's bugged with RF interference, even when just lying unconnected next to my phone. So forgive me for not entirely understanding you blaming the phone Currawong :s

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #1,631 of 2,125
Quote:

I must admit I'm kind of feeling mighty disappointed now. I bought the Mojo as an upgrade to my DX90. The latter worked perfectly with my Note 4 since the latest firmware update, as an USB DAC. That is using the same USB OTG-cable, without any interference at all. And that is while the DX90 wasn't specifically designed as a USB-DAC, and using the 1 micro-USB port for both charging and data transfer. That one USB port also caused my main problem with it: It couldn't connect without the charging taking place as well, draining my phone battery at an unseen rate.

I now buy a higher end piece of equipment that's specifically designed AND marketed for use with nowadays' capable smartphones. A device that splits the USB data and power connection to even further reduce noise. And yet it's bugged with RF interference, even when just lying unconnected next to my phone. So forgive me for not entirely understanding you blaming the phone Currawong :s

fyi, i hear a great amount of phone noise on the dx90 when i put it next to a phone. really annoying in the subway and bus as others' phone will interfere with my music. x7 also has interference from within the shell(wifi module) in some cases. i think it is pretty common with sensitive devices, though definitely avoidable by a good design.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,632 of 2,125
I think no matter what shielding is in the device there will always be RF noise when listening with headphones. I just tested the Mojo with optical input from my CD transport with my phone set to 2G (for testing) and I didn't hear much RF noise with the phone placed at the input side, but when I moved it to the headphone cable side it became incredibly loud. The headphone cable itself acts as an antennae with a direct line to the audio components, and so do input cables (except optical).

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,633 of 2,125
I think no matter what shielding is in the device there will always be RF noise when listening with headphones. I just tested the Mojo with optical input from my CD transport with my phone set to 2G (for testing) and I didn't hear much RF noise with the phone placed at the input side, but when I moved it to the headphone cable side it became incredibly loud. The headphone cable itself acts as an antennae with a direct line to the audio components, and so do input cables (except optical).

Fair enough... but
- can you test that again with only the headphone cable, instead of the headphone cable side of the Mojo? (So farther away from the Mojo). If the cable is an antenna, I would assume that the same interference "inserted" farther away from the device but in the same cable, would have to result in the same interference noise. Otherwise it's more like a "worse shielded side" of the Mojo... no? I might be totally wrong about this too :p
- some devices do seem to have a lot better RF shielding though
- your theory would imply each smartphone being bugged by its own generated RF noise... but my phone is dead silent using the phone's headphone out. How do they manage with the source of the noise probably even on the same PCB? I get that the tech in Mojo is far more advanced than the audio tech in my phone, but I don't get why it's more prone to picking up RF noise as a result...

Maybe another dumb question: could cables with ferrite filters be of some meaning here? (Shielded cables would only filter outside RF noise, whereas the ferrite filter might also filter out the noise injected in the cable through the phone's USB out. Right? :/
Or would those ferrite filters have a more detrimental effect than being an overall help?

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,634 of 2,125
Fair enough... but
- can you test that again with only the headphone cable, instead of the headphone cable side of the Mojo? (So farther away from the Mojo). If the cable is an antenna, I would assume that the same interference "inserted" farther away from the device but in the same cable, would have to result in the same interference noise. Otherwise it's more like a "worse shielded side" of the Mojo... no? I might be totally wrong about this too :p
- some devices do seem to have a lot better RF shielding though
- your theory would imply each smartphone being bugged by its own generated RF noise... but my phone is dead silent using the phone's headphone out. How do they manage with the source of the noise probably even on the same PCB? I get that the tech in Mojo is far more advanced than the audio tech in my phone, but I don't get why it's more prone to picking up RF noise as a result...

Maybe another dumb question: could cables with ferrite filters be of some meaning here? (Shielded cables would only filter outside RF noise, whereas the ferrite filter might also filter out the noise injected in the cable through the phone's USB out. Right? :/
Or would those ferrite filters have a more detrimental effect than being an overall help?

Not sure what you're asking. I moved my iPhone from the input end to the cable end and the RF noise became much worse as I moved to the headphone cable (almost silent at the input end with optical connected). I did move the phone along the headphone cable and the further I was from the mojo the less I heard the noise, but it was still more present than the input side if that's what you mean.

I've wondered the same thing about smartphones not causing noise with their own RF but I'll have to leave that to the smartphone manufacturers. I don't know. I will say that with LTE I hear no RF noise, but on 2G it's insane.

Some have reported in the Mojo thread that ferrite shielding does indeed work but I haven't heard much more about it. Interesting, but I haven't tried it.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,635 of 2,125
Currently have the Onkyo DP-X1 with a Mojo and I'm looking for a new DAP that I can use standalone.  I've narrowed it down to the Hifiman 802s (prefer the Wolfson to Sabre all else equal) and the Lotoo Paw Gold.  Hoping to get some impressions or just general comments, I think hearing any kind of feedback would help me make up my own mind.

With the Onkyo, I found I really dislike touchscreens and Android for a DAP.  I want something focused to just playing music from an SD card.  I think I'd be happy with either the Hifiman or the LPG sound-wise.  95% of use will be with full size lower impedance headphones, Hifiman Edition X and Dharma currently.  Mostly looking for ergonomic and other feedback.

Hifiman

Maybe concerns
  1. Size is a concern, felt the Onkyo with side buttons was awkward at 3" wide and the Hifiman is almost there and much thicker
  2. Charger is a giant brick as well.  I travel via car and can be in a hotel for a week, so space isn't a giant premium but dang that's a large power brick.
  3. Software.  Saw a youtube video from 2012 of Tai Chi and the molasses speed would drive me nuts.  But the 's' models are supposed to be faster...
  4. UI navigation.  If I'm playing an artist that starts with S, and then want to hear one that starts with B, and then one that starts with T, am I spending a ton of time scrolling scrolling scrolling?  I often get inspired to hear something while listening and jump around.

Maybe pros
  1. I think I like the idea of a wheel, if it's well implemented.  Ease of use is big.  Steep learning curve is fine.
  2. Not sure how I'll feel about folder structure only of LPG, so having both that option and browsing by tag feels safe
  3. I like the looks in pictures.  Dumb, but I think it looks neat.
  4. Price.  I would be at about $600 less for an 802s + Minibox Gold card + SD card vs LPG

Lotoo Paw Gold

Maybe concerns
  1. File browsing only.  I'm on the fence here, I used to do it when mp3s first came about and it's fine.  But people seem to say navigation is all the faster once you've mastered it.
  2. Gold.  I like the way it looks, but also think it's garish at times.
  3. 4 way button over wheel.  Might be better or it might not be.  Lotoo went to a wheel on the PAW 5000...
  4. Price

Maybe pros
  1. Slightly more power than the Hifiman, better SNR.  Despite one older DAC vs two newer/pricier DACs if I'm reading the specs right...
  2. Call me crazy, but I like the screen.  Like the pro look to what it gives you while playing.  Only dislike is the display of file name only, can be ugly with the track number and extension in there
  3. Smaller.  Almost as thick but about 30% less size by volume.
  4. Volume seems like it has more fine adjustment
  5. Smaller power adapter and USB3!
  6. Better battery life by a decent amount

I just keep going back and forth.  I mean sure, which one is best, but that's going to be pretty much unanswerable.  I think my biggest hangup is the size of the Hifiman, it's to the point of almost knocking it out of contention.

TLDR if only I could demo these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back