DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jan 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,606 of 2,125
I heard the paw for 30 minutes at RMAF and the mojo for 2 hours at a friends house so take it for what it is worth, but I would not hesitate to get a mojo, it is equivalent to the paw with a different sig. The paw is more dynamic and textured with the mojo being more elegant and airy. I want both and feel they are at the same level of SQ far above the other portable options. Adding an amp to the x7 or my ak100ii can get them close. The value of the paw is as a single stack, but I am now on the paw tour to dig deeper to see if I can overcome the paw look and ui. Both the paw and mojo are incredibly small which you will not understand until you hold them in your own hands. - Bill

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,607 of 2,125
I heard the paw for 30 minutes at RMAF and the mojo for 2 hours at a friends house so take it for what it is worth, but I would not hesitate to get a mojo, it is equivalent to the paw with a different sig. The paw is more dynamic and textured with the mojo being more elegant and airy. I want both and feel they are at the same level of SQ far above the other portable options. Adding an amp to the x7 or my ak100ii can get them close. The value of the paw is as a single stack, but I am now on the paw tour to dig deeper to see if I can overcome the paw look and ui. Both the paw and mojo are incredibly small which you will not understand until you hold them in your own hands. - Bill

I would agree. I ended up buying the mojo as the paw gold was out of my budget.

They are both very small, but quite thick.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #1,609 of 2,125
Thanks a great bunch guys.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a massive music library because he only recently stepped into this hobby, so streaming was a more interesting source, diversity wise? Or am I seeing this wrong, and are the other transports capable of e.g. Tidal offline mode as well?

On top of that, I see people making a size argument, yet they use a separate transport with Mojo. Do they just need all those GB? Or am I missing a point here? Because for compactness, why don't I see loads of people using their phone as a transport? I never leave my home without it. Carrying that plus a Mojo is already quite a mini-stack. Adding a transport brings that number up to three devices to drag around...

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #1,610 of 2,125

On top of that, I see people making a size argument, yet they use a separate transport with Mojo. Do they just need all those GB? Or am I missing a point here? Because for compactness, why don't I see loads of people using their phone as a transport? I never leave my home without it. Carrying that plus a Mojo is already quite a mini-stack. Adding a transport brings that number up to three devices to drag around...

It's all down to personal tastes. For most uses your phone and Mojo will do fine but for those who do have a large library or do not want to tie their main means of communication to the Mojo, they would get an additional DAP, I recently got an AK100 tiny and compact and no fear of running my phones battery down if away from home for a while.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #1,611 of 2,125

It's all down to personal tastes. For most uses your phone and Mojo will do fine but for those who do have a large library or do not want to tie their main means of communication to the Mojo, they would get an additional DAP, I recently got an AK100 tiny and compact and no fear of running my phones battery down if away from home for a while.

+1
Phone is a great transport (I used 128GB iP6 for ages with a Hugo or an ALO CDM and it sounded great).
BUT: it's a pain having your phone connected to another box all the time - in a world of SMS, email, Google searches etc etc, and having to connect or disconnect it - basically to use it as a modern mobile phone - is not convenient. The battery also gets run down fast. And having a separate DAP means you can take it out solo on those times when carrying an extra box - even a small one like a Mojo - is not ideal. Yes you can do that with a phone (I did), but a nice DAP with a balanced output really does sound better.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,612 of 2,125

Am I the only one who doesn't have a massive music library because he only recently stepped into this hobby, so streaming was a more interesting source, diversity wise? Or am I seeing this wrong, and are the other transports capable of e.g. Tidal offline mode as well?

For me it is all about the use case. Working from a home office seldom on the road, the phone is not an issue and for use at night to listen in bed, no issue. However, if I was a heavy phone user, it would not be ideal, nor would I be listening to music to begin with given the inconvenience.

Another thing, I may have a massive library, but using iTunes, I have made it a habit to turn listening sessions with my main library into playlists that I can sync with my phone. Of my 18K songs, there are only about 2K that I actually like enough to look for and select, and only half of those are in a high res format that I care to listen to. 2K songs can easily fit on a MicroSD card and by limiting to my favorite playlists, a subset of favorites easily fits on my phone. But there are those that insist on having all their music with them at all times for some reason - to each their own.

In terms of transport. Trying the different inputs, I found my iPhone to sound better than my DAPs - AK100ii via optical - as a transport probably due to the excellent USB implementation vs. my crummy portable cables. So the iPhone might even sound better. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #1,614 of 2,125

I agree.  I started with my iphone and the mojo, but the cable solution leaves MUCH to be desired as far as ergonomics and portability (as far as finding a way to not kink the cables).   Decided that it wasn't the way for me to go and bought a 100 too.

Got a smoking deal on the 100mkii, and it comes in tomorrow :)

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #1,616 of 2,125
Thanks for all the reactions. What about the amp section of the Mojo? Is everybody evaluating the DAC section with some easy to drive (C)IEMs, or are above claims also valid for some harder to drive full cans (so Mojo vs the balanced outputs of some of the afore-mentioned DAPs).

Thanks a great bunch!

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #1,617 of 2,125
I've A/B'ed the QP1R, AK380AMP and Lotoo Paw Gold recently and here's what I've found:

Bass: Lotoo Paw Gold > AK380AMP > QP1R;
Mids: AK380AMP > Lotoo Paw Gold = QP1R;
Highs: Lotoo Paw Gold > QP1R > AK380AMP;
Soundstage: Lotoo Paw Gold = AK380AMP > QP1R.

FYI headphones used were UM Mentor and AKT1P

I also had the chance to compare HM901 minibox and Calyx M side-by-side with LPG. 
Long story short: the two have zero advantage over the Lotoo, while the Lotoo has better bass than Calyx M and better highs than the HM901.

Still haven't had the chance to audition HM901S and the Tera. Will report back when I do. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #1,618 of 2,125
  I've A/B'ed the QP1R, AK380AMP and Lotoo Paw Gold recently and here's what I've found:

Bass: Lotoo Paw Gold > AK380AMP > QP1R;
Mids: AK380AMP > Lotoo Paw Gold = QP1R;
Highs: Lotoo Paw Gold > QP1R > AK380AMP;
Soundstage: Lotoo Paw Gold = AK380AMP > QP1R.

FYI headphones used were UM Mentor and AKT1P

I also had the chance to compare HM901 minibox and Calyx M side-by-side with LPG. 
Long story short: the two have zero advantage over the Lotoo, while the Lotoo has better bass than Calyx M and better highs than the HM901.

Still haven't had the chance to audition HM901S and the Tera. Will report back when I do. 

Not bad for more than half the price......

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,619 of 2,125
If you weren't already aware, I posted my Chord Mojo review. I recently added the video to it:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/14747

The video is 30 minutes long, and includes a lot of comparisons, my thoughts on it with full-sized headphones and IEMs.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #1,620 of 2,125
  If you weren't already aware, I posted my Chord Mojo review. I recently added the video to it:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-mojo/reviews/14747

The video is 30 minutes long, and includes a lot of comparisons, my thoughts on it with full-sized headphones and IEMs.

Can you do a TLDW summary in 4 bullet points 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back