DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jan 18, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,636 of 2,125
I think no matter what shielding is in the device there will always be RF noise when listening with headphones. I just tested the Mojo with optical input from my CD transport with my phone set to 2G (for testing) and I didn't hear much RF noise with the phone placed at the input side, but when I moved it to the headphone cable side it became incredibly loud. The headphone cable itself acts as an antennae with a direct line to the audio components, and so do input cables (except optical).

Out of interest, was there much difference in the sound of Mojo between your iPhone and the CD transport? TIA

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,637 of 2,125
Out of interest, was there much difference in the sound of Mojo between your iPhone and the CD transport? TIA

As I've said on the Mojo thread I hear very little difference, if any at all, between sources on the Mojo. All my files are duplicated across devices (AK240, AK100 mk2, X5ii, X5 Classic, iPhone 5S). Seeing as my rips are from the same CD source playing on the CD player I also hear little to no difference with the CD player. Sounds like the Mojo across devices to me.

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,638 of 2,125
Does anyone have thoughts on how these newer Daps perform relative to the bundles of recent memory (I.e, Clas > Alo MK3/Duet). Are there notable sacrifices that come with cramming all stages in a single, often smallish, package? Obviously they deliver on the aspects of convenience, but at what expense, if any?
I would be interested too in such comparisons.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #1,640 of 2,125
  Currently have the Onkyo DP-X1 with a Mojo and I'm looking for a new DAP that I can use standalone.  I've narrowed it down to the Hifiman 802s (prefer the Wolfson to Sabre all else equal) and the Lotoo Paw Gold.  Hoping to get some impressions or just general comments, I think hearing any kind of feedback would help me make up my own mind.

With the Onkyo, I found I really dislike touchscreens and Android for a DAP.  I want something focused to just playing music from an SD card.  I think I'd be happy with either the Hifiman or the LPG sound-wise.  95% of use will be with full size lower impedance headphones, Hifiman Edition X and Dharma currently.  Mostly looking for ergonomic and other feedback.

Hifiman

Maybe concerns
  1. Size is a concern, felt the Onkyo with side buttons was awkward at 3" wide and the Hifiman is almost there and much thicker
  2. Charger is a giant brick as well.  I travel via car and can be in a hotel for a week, so space isn't a giant premium but dang that's a large power brick.
  3. Software.  Saw a youtube video from 2012 of Tai Chi and the molasses speed would drive me nuts.  But the 's' models are supposed to be faster...
  4. UI navigation.  If I'm playing an artist that starts with S, and then want to hear one that starts with B, and then one that starts with T, am I spending a ton of time scrolling scrolling scrolling?  I often get inspired to hear something while listening and jump around.

Maybe pros
  1. I think I like the idea of a wheel, if it's well implemented.  Ease of use is big.  Steep learning curve is fine.
  2. Not sure how I'll feel about folder structure only of LPG, so having both that option and browsing by tag feels safe
  3. I like the looks in pictures.  Dumb, but I think it looks neat.
  4. Price.  I would be at about $600 less for an 802s + Minibox Gold card + SD card vs LPG

Lotoo Paw Gold

Maybe concerns
  1. File browsing only.  I'm on the fence here, I used to do it when mp3s first came about and it's fine.  But people seem to say navigation is all the faster once you've mastered it.
  2. Gold.  I like the way it looks, but also think it's garish at times.
  3. 4 way button over wheel.  Might be better or it might not be.  Lotoo went to a wheel on the PAW 5000...
  4. Price

Maybe pros
  1. Slightly more power than the Hifiman, better SNR.  Despite one older DAC vs two newer/pricier DACs if I'm reading the specs right...
  2. Call me crazy, but I like the screen.  Like the pro look to what it gives you while playing.  Only dislike is the display of file name only, can be ugly with the track number and extension in there
  3. Smaller.  Almost as thick but about 30% less size by volume.
  4. Volume seems like it has more fine adjustment
  5. Smaller power adapter and USB3!
  6. Better battery life by a decent amount

I just keep going back and forth.  I mean sure, which one is best, but that's going to be pretty much unanswerable.  I think my biggest hangup is the size of the Hifiman, it's to the point of almost knocking it out of contention.

TLDR if only I could demo these...

Tried all the good DAPs at RMAF and the Paw Gold was the one left standing in terms of SQ, no question. Knocked out the AK380. IMO, it even beats the MOJO adding more weight to the note and dynamics. Finally, it is the only one other than the 901 balanced that has a chance of going stackless at maximum SQ other than maybe a QP1r for full sized HPs. Even the AK380 sounded better with my $100 C&C BH2 amp in the chain.

As for looks, the HiFiman is a bummer in both form and function with the worst UI I have ever used. Couldn't even get the HiFiman DAPs to work with a SD card at their own booth. The Paw was basic but easy to use as a UI. The PAW, while gaudy, was much smaller than expected - think MOJO - and easily carried. I signed up for a tour and will have more PAW feedback in a month or so.

Jan 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,641 of 2,125

Tried all the good DAPs at RMAF and the Paw Gold was the one left standing in terms of SQ, no question. Knocked out the AK380. IMO, it even beats the MOJO adding more weight to the note and dynamics. Finally, it is the only one other than the 901 balanced that has a chance of going stackless at maximum SQ other than maybe a QP1r for full sized HPs. Even the AK380 sounded better with my $100 C&C BH2 amp in the chain.

As for looks, the HiFiman is a bummer in both form and function with the worst UI I have ever used. Couldn't even get the HiFiman DAPs to work with a SD card at their own booth. The Paw was basic but easy to use as a UI. The PAW, while gaudy, was much smaller than expected - think MOJO - and easily carried. I signed up for a tour and will have more PAW feedback in a month or so.

Very interesting, and appreciate the reply!  I assume you were using the 901s?  They tout it as much improved UI over the earlier 901, if that's the one you were using that's sad to hear.  But also good to hear, because a laggy UI would frustrate me to no end.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,642 of 2,125

Very interesting, and appreciate the reply!  I assume you were using the 901s?  They tout it as much improved UI over the earlier 901, if that's the one you were using that's sad to hear.  But also good to hear, because a laggy UI would frustrate me to no end.

No, it was the earlier 901 that I was trying to hear since the raving reviews were based on it and the 901s was new with downgraded HW. Wasn't too interested in the 901s at the time although now, I wish I didn't leave so quickly when the 901 failed. Wish I would have listened to the HEX too which was hooked up to the 901s. The 901s was slightly better looking, but in a beauty contest, the PAW would easily win, even with the awful gold accent.
wink_face.gif

The Paw was an easy UI to figure out, but I have been spoiled by my AK100ii. Otherwise, compared to my old X5 or DX90 it was as good or better. Didn't seem laggy at the time, but I only had 30 minutes to play with it. My draw to the PAW is that it sounded better than my stacked AK100ii and easily beat the next SQ contender the AK380 that required a stack to sound its best.

Bottom line, IMO if you want the best SQ and portability, go PAW - if you want the best UI, go stacked AK. Best TOTL DAP SQ value play is my stacked AK100ii with my BH2 amp. YMMV depending on HPs/IEMs.

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #1,643 of 2,125
No, it was the earlier 901 that I was trying to hear since the raving reviews were based on it and the 901s was new with downgraded HW. Wasn't too interested in the 901s at the time although now, I wish I didn't leave so quickly when the 901 failed. Wish I would have listened to the HEX too which was hooked up to the 901s. The 901s was slightly better looking, but in a beauty contest, the PAW would easily win, even with the awful gold accent. :wink_face:

The Paw was an easy UI to figure out, but I have been spoiled by my AK100ii. Otherwise, compared to my old X5 or DX90 it was as good or better. Didn't seem laggy at the time, but I only had 30 minutes to play with it. My draw to the PAW is that it sounded better than my stacked AK100ii and easily beat the next SQ contender the AK380 that required a stack to sound its best.

Bottom line, IMO if you want the best SQ and portability, go PAW - if you want the best UI, go stacked AK. Best TOTL DAP SQ value play is my stacked AK100ii with my BH2 amp. YMMV depending on HPs/IEMs.
I have followed this route as I have a Paw and an AK + Mojo, as well as an Aune M2S but I have a special plan for this one. Paw is still my favorite sounding source.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,648 of 2,125
It depends if you also need a USB DAC, if you value portability, if you need a complex UI, etc.

I value portability. I do not and will not invest in any desk top units. Im usually on the go a lot and cant sit in one spot to long, unless I'm on Headfi. The Mojo to me is not that big, so to me they are both portable. I did have the Mojo for 10 days but, I've always had an interest in AKM DACs, and I do not want to buy both. As for UI, all I care about is music, I could care less about album art or any of that, all i do is push random play all stick it in my pocket and enjoy!

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #1,649 of 2,125
  I value portability. I do not and will not invest in any desk top units. Im usually on the go a lot and cant sit in one spot to long, unless I'm on Headfi. The Mojo to me is not that big, so to me they are both portable. I did have the Mojo for 10 days but, I've always had an interest in AKM DACs, and I do not want to buy both. As for UI, all I care about is music, I could care less about album art or any of that, all i do is push random play all stick it in my pocket and enjoy!

In that case, I think the Aune M2S will be good for  you. It is possible the Mojho may have a slight edge in sound, but it will be less convenient stacked with a DAP. Inconvenients of the M2: hiss with very sensitive iems and really average battery.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #1,650 of 2,125
Not sure what you're asking. I moved my iPhone from the input end to the cable end and the RF noise became much worse as I moved to the headphone cable (almost silent at the input end with optical connected). I did move the phone along the headphone cable and the further I was from the mojo the less I heard the noise, but it was still more present than the input side if that's what you mean.

I've wondered the same thing about smartphones not causing noise with their own RF but I'll have to leave that to the smartphone manufacturers. I don't know. I will say that with LTE I hear no RF noise, but on 2G it's insane.

Some have reported in the Mojo thread that ferrite shielding does indeed work but I haven't heard much more about it. Interesting, but I haven't tried it.

Thanks for your answer. That was exactly what I was asking :)

I was just trying to think logically. If the headphone cable works as an antenna, then I would expect that it doesn't matter where in that cable you "insert" the RF-noise. Once it's there, you hear it. However, the closer you get to the Mojo, the worse the noise gets.
This could mean that it's not related to the cable, just that the headphone side of the Mojo is weaker. If it does work as an antenna, then apparently the inserted noise kind of "evaporates" again by traveling a longer distance through the cable.

However, something tells me science might be a better measure than my logic :p Me trying to think is usually where it all starts going wrong anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back