DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
May 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #271 of 2,125
  No it doesn't work with the NAD.  I wish it does.  I have the x-sabre on loan and was not able to get it to work either.  The ZX1 does works with my Pico DAC, PS Digital link III, and Matrix Mini-I Pro though.  I'm not sure what the catch on sending digital over USB really on the Sony.  I'm perplexed why the F887 does work with the X-sabre and the ZX1 doesn't.

It's sad to hear that. I have no idea why the f887 worked with x-sabre since it was another member who reported it.
By the look of it, m51 can not be feed by usb otg since I tried a lot of android phones and none of them work. I suspect it has something to do with the nad's usb driver.
zx1 is so close to a perfect all in one unit with android, streaming, otg, form factor and lod to use with pico power and yet...

May 15, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #273 of 2,125
I realised on the weekend I forgot to try the X5 coax output to the Duet. That would make for an interesting transport. However, in the past my experience with DAP coax outputs of this form that need an adaptor haven't been good, as non-75 Ohm connectors end up sending reflections through the signals which often end up as distortion on the analog output.

I have a Chord Hugo on the way, and a Calyx M soon I hope, so this is going to get more interesting. I had to return the Sony and Hifiman to Anakchan, however.

May 16, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #274 of 2,125
The Chord Hugo is in the house. It will be interesting comparing it to the AK240, though I'd be surprised if my impressions were much different to what others have posted already. It does have this gorgeous liquid sound with Shelby Lynne, C.C. Colletti and the like.

May 17, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #280 of 2,125
I would really like to compare my hm901 to the hugo and the ak240, just to see whether there is really much difference in the presentation of the music and whether my ears can pick that up.This all using the JH 13 pro.

Personally, I would be more interested in the comparison between HM901+Hugo and AK240 +Hugo etc. I tried a HM901 demo once without Hugo, I thought it is good but still prefers my AK240.

Would love to try the HM901 with my Hugo again but the shop atmosphere doesn't feel as welcoming as Jaben. Although the people there seem OK.

May 18, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #281 of 2,125
  Does anyone have the specs for the ZX-1? What DAC chip(s) is uses and its power output? I couldn't seem to find it. 

I don't think it really matters to people like us in the end. Unless you work for HifiMan, AK or some other firm who wants to take one apart to see how it ticks but then those people already know. There are so many details that the common person wouldn't know where to start and end.

Unless it's a complete hack job I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the DAC chip is the least of your worries. It's not what you use it's how it's implemented. Things like how much work was done to optimize the circuit board and parts layout, any exotic materials used for the board (i.e. ceramics), how is the power supply implemented (amp vs. digital section), if any work was done to isolate EMI/RFI between components in a small device, what amp circuit was used, is this full discrete or op-amps, is there local, global or 0 feedback. So many details that add that the ultimate conclusion can only be done through listening...

May 18, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #282 of 2,125
Personally, I would be more interested in the comparison between HM901+Hugo and AK240 +Hugo etc. I tried a HM901 demo once without Hugo, I thought it is good but still prefers my AK240.

Would love to try the HM901 with my Hugo again but the shop atmosphere doesn't feel as welcoming as Jaben. Although the people there seem OK.

For some real craziness try feeding the Hugo with the Berekley Alpha USB.
No DSD though. bummer....

May 18, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #283 of 2,125
  Why not the ZX1?  It is much cheaper and will also send digital signal via USB to the hugo.  ZX1 also feature wireless streaming from wifi drive.

Hi,

Could you expand on the wireless streaming from a wifi drive please? I know Seagate has a (up to) 2 TB Wireless Plus portable HDD so I presume we load their playback software on to the ZX1? Would that be correct? (I'm not an Android user)

Thanks in advance.

May 18, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #284 of 2,125
Quote:
  Does anyone have the specs for the ZX-1? What DAC chip(s) is uses and its power output? I couldn't seem to find it. 

Sony like Apple doesn't have to use off the shelf parts.  They use these:

And yes like Apple most of the space is screen and battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back