DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
May 13, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #256 of 2,125
I have the ZX5 on a loan for a week now and for the price this fine DAP really deliver top notch sound quality.  With that said, I still prefer my ZX1 over the X5 in the sound department.  What I'm hearing is a more resolution on the Sony with more robust low level details.  The only thing that the X5 is able to edge out over the ZX1 is the depth of the soundstage and it isn't by much.  The ZX1 with sound enhancement app disable is also capable of powering my HD800 with a good results.  With what I like on the X5, I'm curious how much better the X7 will be.  I'm so glad that FiiO continues to produce high value product and how Sony is finally returning to its remarkable walkman days.

May 13, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #257 of 2,125
I have the ZX5 on a loan for a week now and for the price this fine DAP really deliver top notch sound quality.  With that said, I still prefer my ZX1 over the X5 in the sound department.  What I'm hearing is a more resolution on the Sony with more robust low level details.  The only thing that the X5 is able to edge out over the ZX1 is the depth of the soundstage and it isn't by much.  The ZX1 with sound enhancement app disable is also capable of powering my HD800 with a good results.  With what I like on the X5, I'm curious how much better the X7 will be.  I'm so glad that FiiO continues to produce high value product and how Sony is finally returning to its remarkable walkman days.

Purk, do you have an otg cable for the sony. I wonder if zx1 can work with nad m51 as a transport.I know f887 can work with x-sabre but not sure about the nad

May 13, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #258 of 2,125
Purk, do you have an otg cable for the sony. I wonder if zx1 can work with nad m51 as a transport.I know f887 can work with x-sabre but not sure about the nad

No it doesn't work with the NAD.  I wish it does.  I have the x-sabre on loan and was not able to get it to work either.  The ZX1 does works with my Pico DAC, PS Digital link III, and Matrix Mini-I Pro though.  I'm not sure what the catch on sending digital over USB really on the Sony.  I'm perplexed why the F887 does work with the X-sabre and the ZX1 doesn't.

May 13, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #260 of 2,125
Question for those that have heard the AK240, Cypher stack or any other portable rig that can also double as a desktop rig.  The Hugo is also of interest but what portable transports work?

Space aside, how do they compare to each other, ignoring price?  Best transport for the Hugo and Cypher?

May 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #261 of 2,125
Best dap for Hugo would be AK240, I haven't run into any bugs yet.  DX90 on coax would pause/resume multiple times when playing DSD over pcm to the Hugo.  Windows 7 laptop to the Hugo also works well.

May 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #262 of 2,125
  Best dap for Hugo would be AK240, I haven't run into any bugs yet.  DX90 on coax would pause/resume multiple times when playing DSD over pcm to the Hugo.  Windows 7 laptop to the Hugo also works well.

Why not the ZX1?  It is much cheaper and will also send digital signal via USB to the hugo.  ZX1 also feature wireless streaming from wifi drive.

May 13, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #263 of 2,125
  Question for those that have heard the AK240, Cypher stack or any other portable rig that can also double as a desktop rig.  The Hugo is also of interest but what portable transports work?

Space aside, how do they compare to each other, ignoring price?  Best transport for the Hugo and Cypher?

My hugo has not arrived yet so I have not personally tried it, but Rudi says the best (sq wise) transport is:

iDevice ---> go-dap dd limited 12v or go-dap dd socket 1 or solo -db ---> coaxial out ---> Hugo (coax input)

According to Rudi this sounds better than ak240 going into hugo via optical

iDevice using the Onkyo HF Player can pass DSD to the Hugo via DoP

May 13, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #264 of 2,125
  Why not the ZX1?  It is much cheaper and will also send digital signal via USB to the hugo.  ZX1 also feature wireless streaming from wifi drive.

ZX1 doesn't have native DSD decoding, it transcodes to pcm for internal playback.  It can transport DoP out via usb but you'll be tied to the Hugo, I also found DoP sounded better from the AK240 to the Hugo than the ZX1.  Plus DSD files are huge so the AK240 can store more of them.  I use my AK240 standalone outside the house.
Not tried a wireless drive but have used MQS to stream from a pc.  I found my HTC M8 can also access the MQS server via upnp app so looks like it's just DLNA.  Besides I have 384GB storage on the AK240 which should keep me busy awhile.
The ZX1 does have the advantage of battery life though.

May 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #265 of 2,125
Let me rephrase.  Ignoring price differences of the AK240 alone, Cypher and Hugo with modest transports like an iPod Classic/Touch or the AK100 Mk2 I already have... how do they compare?  I'll reread what Cura wrote about the Cypher stack while people add their experience.

Only interested in 16/44 flac performance from either the dap or pc.  I have exactly 0 dsd or high res media in my collection and no plans to start now.  Which is easy since I'm pretty sure anything I would listen to isn't available in either format :p

May 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #266 of 2,125

I personally think AK240 + Hugo via optical sounds fantastic!

May 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #267 of 2,125
No doubt but at that price I'm just getting a suitcase for my big rig and a battery pack =)

May 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #269 of 2,125
  Chord will be using a Laptop, iPad & ZX1 at the Munich Hi-End Show starting on Thursday... the Hi-End system they're taking is pretty amazing $200k+.

Do you think they we could get a lower the price if we did a group buy?  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back